PDA

View Full Version : Stupid question but...

Pages : [1] 2

GymJunkie
04-07-2015, 01:05 PM
What do you guys do with your wash mitts when you're finished washing? Do you throw it in the dryer? Mine stayed wet for several several days afterwards and I'm worried it will mess it up the more I do this.

Evan.J
04-07-2015, 01:06 PM
I wash mine after every use

Mask
04-07-2015, 01:16 PM
rinse with water hose and hang dry :p

2black1s
04-07-2015, 01:17 PM
I rinse mine thoroughly, ring it out, sling it out, and drape it over the side of my cleaned-out wash bucket. It's usually dry the following day and I will then drop it in the bucket and put the lid on the bucket to keep it clean until it's next use.

Jaretr1
04-07-2015, 01:26 PM
I rinse mine thoroughly, ring it out, sling it out, and drape it over the side of my cleaned-out wash bucket. It's usually dry the following day and I will then drop it in the bucket and put the lid on the bucket to keep it clean until it's next use.

I do about the same thing.

GymJunkie
04-07-2015, 01:30 PM
Hmm that's what I did too but it didn't dry out very well. Oh well, thanks

FUNX650
04-07-2015, 01:37 PM
Hmm that's what I did too but it didn't dry out very well. Oh well, thanks
If you want it to dry out well;
and in a more timely manner:

You gotta put it where the air circulates,
at least a little bit more,
than where you had it before.

Bob

DetailKitty
04-07-2015, 02:45 PM
Mine goes in the "paint only" bin of my detailing laundry basket system. It gets washed after every use. I do throw mine in the dryer, but it's on low heat and they have their own load so no contaminants.

VISITOR
04-07-2015, 03:01 PM
after I'm done using my (in this case) microfiber wash mitt, I blast off any dirt/debris and then put it in a clean bucket of water and massage out all the soap, and then wring it and shake out any leftover water before I hang dry it on a pant hanger with clips...

Desertnate
04-07-2015, 03:12 PM
I do about the same thing.

Same here, but ONLY if the vehicle washed was in good shape.

For those nasty first washes of Spring or the post it's-been-raining-for-four-days washes where the vehicle is covered in heavy grime, I'll toss it in the laundry after every use.

My mitts never dry out over night, but I live in a pretty humid climate. I've had mitts take several days to dry out.

Kamakaz1961
04-07-2015, 03:21 PM
I wash mine after every use

+1 :xyxthumbs:

GymJunkie
04-07-2015, 09:19 PM
Thanks all for the help. I gotta say it's pretty refreshing to ask a question once on here and get two pages of responses. I was recently on car care enthusiast on Fb and no matter how many times I bumped the several questions it always got ignored. So again, thanks.

Setec Astronomy
04-08-2015, 07:18 AM
I'm kind of surprised at the number of "rinse and hang" answers. My wash media always gets machine washed and dried after each use (well, as DK said, goes in the bin to be washed).

Here's a mitt drying tip from my friend Jr.: get a pint water or soda bottle and put that in the mitt and stand up to dry.

Don M
04-08-2015, 08:12 AM
Not a stupid question at all. A dirty wash mitt will cause more scratches and swirls than just about anything else.

I used to just hose it out really well, and hang it up to dry in the garage to dry, but I just bought a better one (Ok so it's an off-brand from Wally World, but it's still far better than what I had). Now I plan on washing it after each use to keep it clean and fluffy. No machine drying, just hanging in the basement laundry room to air dry

2black1s
04-08-2015, 10:41 AM
I'm kind of surprised at the number of "rinse and hang" answers. My wash media always gets machine washed and dried after each use (well, as DK said, goes in the bin to be washed).

Here's a mitt drying tip from my friend Jr.: get a pint water or soda bottle and put that in the mitt and stand up to dry.

Rinse and hang can be just as effective as machine washing if you do it thoroughly and your mitt is not too soiled.

If you're using the two (or three) bucket method to wash your car then your wash bucket still has some clean sudsy water in it when you're done. Use that to hand wash the mitt followed by a few clean water rinses in your rinse bucket and you'd be hard pressed to get your mitt any cleaner.

Granted, if you get your mitt dirty with grease, oil, tar, etc. then it may take a little more than "rinse and hang" but under my normal circumstances "rinse and hang" is entirely adequate.