PDA

View Full Version : Powerlock pad cleaning!!!

Souldetailer
04-06-2015, 12:21 PM
Hey all,

Hope your having a good one. Powerlocked my wife's black Civic
(It came out great) this past weekend. The trouble is cleaning the friggen pads. I usually use dish detergent and that takes care of most products. Not PWL. I believe it's finally clean after my third attempt of dish soap and vinegar. I' been able to avoid the pad cleaners until now, but I guess that's the way I need to go. What say Ye. Pad cleaner or home concoction. Thank y'all. Take care.

Peace,

Darrin

Evan.J
04-06-2015, 12:23 PM
I just use one pad as a dedicated Sealant pad and after use i will clean it and put it in a ZipLok bag.

swanicyouth
04-06-2015, 12:33 PM
The only thing I have found that will remove it is IPA mixed with mineral spirits. Pad cleaners won't do it.

Kamakaz1961
04-06-2015, 12:53 PM
Powerlock is difficult to get out of the pads. Although it will not get ALL of the stuff out but quite a bit is to soak the pads in HOT water with dish soap. That seemed to work for me. I let it soak for about 15 minutes in HOT water w/Dawn. Then I scrub and squeeze most of the stuff out and
I rinse the crap out of it too. Try that.

Souldetailer
04-06-2015, 04:13 PM
Looks like I dedicate these pads to Powerlock, no biggie. I'll just wash them the best I can and seal them in a ziplock. Thanks.

Peace,

Darrin

dlc95
04-06-2015, 05:27 PM
I just use one pad as a dedicated Sealant pad and after use i will clean it and put it in a ZipLok bag.

Do you dry them first, Evan?

Evan.J
04-06-2015, 06:12 PM
I allow them to air dry. Are the completely dry when I store them no, but they won't be soaking wet when they go into the bag either.

As long as they aren't very wet you won't have to worry about mold. I do make sure most of the air is removed from the bag as well

Pats300zx
04-06-2015, 06:30 PM

I do the same thing Evan. If you though Powerlock was hard to get out of a pad wait until you try BFWD :)

dlc95
04-06-2015, 11:12 PM
I allow them to air dry. Are the completely dry when I store them no, but they won't be soaking wet when they go into the bag either.

As long as they aren't very wet you won't have to worry about mold. I do make sure most of the air is removed from the bag as well

Thanks!

SameGuy
04-07-2015, 02:46 AM
I do the same thing Evan. If you though Powerlock was hard to get out of a pad wait until you try BFWD :)

No crap! I posted recently about my buddy overdoing it with the BFWD and after what seemed like an hour of struggling I gave up trying to squeeze the blue goo out, and tossed the pad! Hehehe at least I had the forethought to only entrust him with a pad I never really used anyway.

aim4squirrels
04-07-2015, 06:19 AM
Wolfgang deep gloss paint sealant does the same thing.

You just have to work around the entire pad squeezing it out of the pores like a zit.

wdmaccord
04-07-2015, 09:03 AM
I'm just going to concur with all these guys. I use D101 neat to clean all my pads. Won't dent BFWD or Coll 845 pads. I still clean and rinse them really well and let them dry, but they are dedicated to just the specific sealant.

Anytime you try a new sealant, just start with a fresh pad and dedicate it to that product going forward and all will be good.