PDA

View Full Version : It Was My Water

Shredmonster
04-06-2015, 11:17 AM
Recently got a black daily driver. New 4 door Wrangler. Big vehicle so obviously I can't dry fast enough.

Now I never washed any of my cars by hand before but this one I want to keep for a long time. And my last car rusted because I did not wash it enough. But that took 10 years for it to do so.

Anyway I bought all these cool products on this site. First thing I noticed were my windows were spotting. OK so I removed them and went over the glass with DP Glass product that protects and hardens the glass.

Next wash - boom - water spots on windows again. Now I am getting frustrated. Again have to remove spots.

Then I notice white drips on the side of the vehicle cause there are all kinds of crevices on these Jeeps.

I managed to get these off as I was using Hydro2 every time after I wash.

This week spots all over the hood and roof. Then it hit me. It is not my products or my technique - it is crappy water.

I think somewhere in the 400 ppm if I recall but I have not measured in a long time.

So I purchased the Deluxe Clean Water Filter Kit from here this week end. I know I will still have to wipe dry. I will finish it off with Optimum Opti Clean during the drying stage. I think the water kit should work good enough from what I have read.

Also purchased a 40 volt leaf blower that is pretty good.

Question - how often should I use the Hydro2 ? I have not purchased a spray on wax yet or a QD.

North26
04-06-2015, 12:09 PM
Personally I am not a fan of Hydro2. Something about spraying it on and then immediately rinsing it off seems weird to me. Idk maybe I am old fashioned and feel that a product should be left on until hazed and then wiped off. Plus it markets itself as the "jack of all trades" type product that can be used on clear, glass, windows, etc. But I have always been under the impression that the substrate matters, and that individual products should be tailor towards clear coat, glass, rims.

As far as your water spots I don't think it was because of the water. Nearly 100% of the time I am on location detailing something I use hose water. Because the water is not all that important to me. Water spots that I may cause after a wash are superficial and are going to be removed by a spray wax, paste wax, compound, polish, anything really. Which leads me to believe that maybe the Hydro2 is causing these spots. Have you considered trying another sealant or wax, wait a week and wash again to see if you are still having trouble with the spots?

If the spots reappear then you can assume that it was not the products, but the car itself.

Hope I helped a bit! But don't take my word as scripture, hopefully some other members will respond and see what they recommend as well!!

swanicyouth
04-06-2015, 12:25 PM
Hydro 2 (and similar) is a whole can of worms I don't want to get into for paint. The main reason being, you really need to use CarPros "special soap" prior to application to get the most out of it.

This means you can't really use 90% of the rinseless and waterless products out there - as most of them leave something behind. Then, you can't really use any QDs with it either - as that may effect subsequent applications.

But for wheels it's great, since they don't see any QDs, WW, RW, or any soaps that leave anything behind in my world.

I understand it's fast and easy. But so are a lot of other LSPs these days for a lot less $$$.

How long does it last? The answer is infinitely variable.

North26
04-06-2015, 12:25 PM
As I was reading my comment ^ I realized I never really stuck to your question, I'm sorry!! And you should re-apply whenever the water beading stops or you see a change. As I don't know your area or climate it is hard to say exactly. But what from I have read it should hold up around 2 months or so.

Ccrew
04-06-2015, 12:47 PM
As far as your water spots I don't think it was because of the water. Nearly 100% of the time I am on location detailing something I use hose water. Because the water is not all that important to me. Water spots that I may cause after a wash are superficial and are going to be removed by a spray wax, paste wax, compound, polish, anything really. Which leads me to believe that maybe the Hydro2 is causing these spots. Have you considered trying another sealant or wax, wait a week and wash again to see if you are still having trouble with the spots?

I see what he's experiencing as totally possible. I live in an area that has so much lime/calcium in the water that we even have to replace faucets yearly - it's bad. It's bad as it it'll etch bathroom ceramic wall tiles bad. And when they water spot on a car, which they always do no matter how fast we are you're pretty much into a light polish to get them off.

For the OP I'd fall back on "It's a Jeep, it's supposed to get dirty" because if you find a better solution I'd love to hear it.

Shredmonster
04-06-2015, 01:11 PM
Man I tell ya it sucks being a noob. I purchased Megs Hyper Wash only to find out it is made for a foam gun.
I am using it anyway with the 2 bucket method until I use it all up. It is still soap.

The I bought Wheel Brightener based on some of the "How To" detailing threads on wheels only to find out it is not very user friendly.

Then I read how good Hydro2 was only to find out now maybe not.

So......... what are some of the cost effective LSP's that you guys are using ?

I was planning on using my Optimum Opti Clean as I read on here many are using UWW+.

BTW I am pretty sure it is my water making the spots. I washed it and did not use Hydro2 this week. Just Hyper Wash. Prior to drying with microtowel and opti clean on I had spots all over from the water.

swanicyouth
04-06-2015, 01:21 PM
I use paste wax. I've yet to get to the bottom of a tub. Powerlock is another great bargain.

Ecrissman
04-06-2015, 02:07 PM
I think its calcium and lime in the water. I just use mist a cheap QD over the finish and dry everything off. The QD buys you a little time to hit it all before you get a lot of spotting.

FUNX650
04-06-2015, 02:47 PM
I purchased Megs Hyper Wash only to find out it is made for a foam gun.
I am using it anyway with the 2 bucket method until I use it all up. It is still soap.

Whoever told you that Meguiars D110 Hyper-Wash
"is made for a foam gun"...will be considered, by me:
As being a miserably mischievous maligner!!

Bob

glfnaz
04-06-2015, 02:57 PM
I think its calcium and lime in the water. I just use mist a cheap QD over the finish and dry everything off. The QD buys you a little time to hit it all before you get a lot of spotting.

I agree. I also live in a hard water town and fight this problem.

I use a qd type product after drying. It's my only hope. I also replace plumbing faucets, hose bibs, and scrub shower doors on a regular basis.

wgilles
04-06-2015, 03:03 PM
I too have craptastic water. If the water is allowed to dry, even a little bit, I get spots or a filmy look. I just dry with a MF towel and a quick detailer...problem solved.

Shredmonster
04-06-2015, 04:20 PM
Thanks people ! Was worried about etching in the future.

I have some Carpro Spotless coming just in case along with my filter.

But next wash will be put through a filter and then I am going to spray Opti Clean in a light mist prior to drying.

I did wash in the sun but it was about 43 degrees here so the water did not dry super fast.

Should have known on the water looking back now that shower doors were mentioned. We have to get the water off our shower doors by putting vinegar on them. I have one of those testers I got with a Zero Res Filter Pitcher. I think I am over 400 if I recall.