PDA

View Full Version : Tar removal

Pages : [1] 2

frankprozzoly
04-05-2015, 05:05 PM
I spray tar x and this helps. I'm wondering if I clay the little bumps off if they'll scratch after it sticks to the nano sponge and your rubbing it back and forth. Does the lubricant keep it from scratching or is it just inevitable that some small damage might occur

Rsurfer
04-05-2015, 05:09 PM
I spray tar x and this helps. I'm wondering if I clay the little bumps off if they'll scratch after it sticks to the nano sponge and your rubbing it back and forth. Does the lubricant keep it from scratching or is it just inevitable that some small damage might occur

Let TarX dwell for a few minutes to help dissolve the thicker tar. You may have to do several applications depending how much tar is on your paint.

frankprozzoly
04-05-2015, 05:21 PM
How many applications? The bigger lumps don't want to dissolve

Rsurfer
04-05-2015, 05:35 PM
How many applications? The bigger lumps don't want to dissolve

If it's that thick, you may have to shave off the high spots with a plastic putty knife.

frankprozzoly
04-05-2015, 06:39 PM
Easy cowboy. That sounds dangerous. I'll try to take a picture of some of them tomorrow. They're not that big. They come off if I rub, i just don't like rubbing it that hard

Odisious
04-05-2015, 09:14 PM
If you don't like rubbing tar then you'd better get coating your vehicles.

"Don't play around with these kids now...ya hear?" - Uncle Drew

PiPUK
04-06-2015, 05:19 AM
If you don't like rubbing tar then you'd better get coating your vehicles.

"Don't play around with these kids now...ya hear?" - Uncle Drew

Coatings won't stop tar sticking, unfortunately.

OP - get a cloth/pad and soak it in the tar remover and use that to work the area. Don't use clay because the tar remover will dissolve the clay and leave a mess. I am sure this suggestion may concern some people but keep in mind that a tar remover like tar-x is basically a combination of volatile oil (in other words it is a lubricant) with surfactants (which are also fairly lubricating).

Odisious
04-06-2015, 07:48 AM
Coatings won't stop tar sticking, unfortunately.

OP - get a cloth/pad and soak it in the tar remover and use that to work the area. Don't use clay because the tar remover will dissolve the clay and leave a mess. I am sure this suggestion may concern some people but keep in mind that a tar remover like tar-x is basically a combination of volatile oil (in other words it is a lubricant) with surfactants (which are also fairly lubricating).

OR you coat your car and then tar just washes off when you make your pass with your sponge or brush...but what do I know...soaking a cloth and spending time rubbing on your car with a product that will remove your LSP sounds like way more fun so I'd definitely go that route.
:dblthumb2:

SYMAWD
04-06-2015, 08:08 AM
Tar on Cquartz. Just some water, then after that it took one spray of APC and maybe 2 seconds of agitation with a boar's hair brush, but any wash media would have worked.

CarPro CQuartz vs. Road Tar - YouTube

Odisious
04-06-2015, 08:16 AM
Tar on Cquartz. Just some water, then after that it took one spray of APC and maybe 2 seconds of agitation with a boar's hair brush, but any wash media would have worked.

CarPro CQuartz vs. Road Tar - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyylOm1UDR8)

That was huge glob of tar!! Where'd you pick that up?
Anyway, that's why I love coatings, I can't believe how easily chud rinses or washes off so easily.

Heisenberg
04-06-2015, 08:19 AM
Easy cowboy. That sounds dangerous. I'll try to take a picture of some of them tomorrow. They're not that big. They come off if I rub, i just don't like rubbing it that hard

I use plastic razors + tar remover/soap on a variety of paints and cars and I've never had any issue. Not that dangerous.

Odisious
04-06-2015, 08:26 AM
I use plastic razors + tar remover/soap on a variety of paints and cars and I've never had any issue. Not that dangerous.

Where can you get plastic blades anyway?

lawrenceSA
04-06-2015, 08:36 AM
I have no experience with coatings so can't speak to that side of things.

What I have found helps with bigger blobs of tar (which I typically find inside the barrels of wheels) when using a typical tar removal product is to gently use a plastic razor to cut off the bulk of it, then, I take a cotton disc (the fairer sex usually uses them for make detailing their faces), wet it with the tar remover and plonk it on the glob of tar.

This dramatically extends the dwell time as the tar removers, being liquid, generally tend to run off the blob quite quickly reducing any 'rubbing' that needs to occur.

I have accidentally clayed over a spot where some tar remover residue remained and it definitely isn't nice... the caly becomes greasy/smeary and sticks to the paint, so I wouldn't advise that. But yes, you could clay the tar off, using clay and lube (no tar remover) and it would work, but IME the shaved off tar bits that are then embedded in the clay do tend to show their presence on the paint thereafter, so I prefer to try and get the tar off chemically as opposed to claying.

FUNX650
04-06-2015, 09:37 AM
My plastic surgeon supplies me
with my plastic razor blades. :xyxthumbs:

Bob

SYMAWD
04-06-2015, 10:47 AM
That was huge glob of tar!! Where'd you pick that up?
Anyway, that's why I love coatings, I can't believe how easily chud rinses or washes off so easily.

I have no idea. It was just there and then to my relief, easily washed off.