PDA

View Full Version : Do products go bad?

kecko
04-05-2015, 07:49 AM
I have been wondering for a while now if detailing products go bad? I have heard things been never been given a definitive answer.

Also, I have always kept my supplies in my car, even during the winter. Up until now I never had a working garage so it was easier to keep it in my detailing bag. I heard someone say that if your products freeze that renders them useless. Is there any truth to that? I do know for a fact that with the weather we had in Ohio some of my stuff likely froze in my hatch..

Since I will be doing my big spring detail and polish hopefully within the next month or so I want to make sure all my products are in good shape.

Any information is appreciated.

NightForce
04-05-2015, 07:54 AM
The simple answer is yes, they do go bad however there's quite a few mitigating factors...Cold, heat, sunlight, and sitting without agitation..

I take all my products in during the winter months and for the most part get about 10 years of usable service out of them. Others unfortunately have gone south in just a few short years...

Eandras
04-05-2015, 08:47 AM
I keep all my supplies in the basement. The temperature is constant year round which ranges fro 65 to 72 degrees Fahrenheit. When I am in the basement which is about twice a week I shake each liquid to keep the product mixed. Some products seperate in a matter of days and some are fine. This will keep them usable.

Ed

Don M
04-05-2015, 08:57 AM
The simple answer is yes, they do go bad however there's quite a few mitigating factors...Cold, heat, sunlight, and sitting without agitation..

I take all my products in during the winter months and for the most part get about 10 years of usable service out of them. Others unfortunately have gone south in just a few short years...

I have lost (liquid) products by leaving them in the garage over the winter and they froze. I now bring all my products into the house when detailing season is over ... except for maybe the paste waxes, they are darn near indestructible.

kecko
04-05-2015, 08:57 AM
Yea, I just never thought about it until recently when I opened my wax and it was completely liquid but also a bit frozen over. I am going to junk it all. Good excuse to buy new stuff but now I am aware.

Thanks.

dlc95
04-05-2015, 09:33 AM
I once had a tin of Meguiar's #26 paste wax pop it's lid, and melt all over some news papers I had in the back seat of my first brand new car. I guess it got really hot back there in the summer of 99.

Don M
04-05-2015, 09:41 AM
I once had a tin of Meguiar's #26 paste wax pop it's lid, and melt all over some news papers I had in the back seat of my first brand new car. I guess it got really hot back there in the summer of 99.

That would be worse than trying to get crayon out of fabric, even paste wax can get a bit runny if it gets hot enough. I spilled some liquid wax on a floor mat once ... took forever to get it all out.

dlc95
04-05-2015, 09:44 AM
That would be worse than trying to get crayon out of fabric, even paste wax can get a bit runny if it gets hot enough. I spilled some liquid wax on a floor mat once ... took forever to get it all out.

Lets just say that I was lucky I to have had all the news papers back there. The car had only been with me three months at that point.

Oh. Also, the wax wax ruined after that as well.

Mask
04-05-2015, 11:46 AM
I sold all my wax and become a fan of spray sealant.
Both meg GC and collinite915 paste smell awesome though :p
Too bad they never last in my area.