PDA

View Full Version : About to do a full wheel detail

Brunkel
04-04-2015, 10:50 PM
I'm in the process of getting new summer tires and currently still have my winters on. So, I have my summer rims without any tires which means it's a perfect time to detail them!

I am planning on doing the following:
- color tech cleaner
- clay
- polish with a light polish (sf4500 or something similar) on a 3" pad
- 2 coats of net shield
- top with Sonax brilliant shine detailer

I have 2 questions:
- is there a specific DA attachment that works well for polishing wheels? A powerball perhaps? Otherwise I think my best option is my 3" DA.
- once I get these polished out and protected, will wheel cleaners like color tech, full effect, iron x, etc. remove the protection? I'm thinking about how I'm going to do maintenance washes after this and typically always use a dedicated wheel cleaner to start a wash. Maybe just the car soap and boost with a QD after the wash?

Will post pictures when I get to it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mask
04-04-2015, 10:58 PM
This sound like a nice project.
The 3" works great for wheel polish.
I suggest do a ironx/clay before polishing the wheels and do at least 2 to 3 layers of coatings. you may apply SPNS on the wheel face after about a month (if you wish to). Maintain it with hydro2 or SBSD.
Looking forward :D

Regards

Brunkel
04-05-2015, 06:09 AM
This sound like a nice project.
The 3" works great for wheel polish.
I suggest do a ironx/clay before polishing the wheels and do at least 2 to 3 layers of coatings. you may apply SPNS on the wheel face after about a month (if you wish to). Maintain it with hydro2 or SBSD.
Looking forward :D

Regards

Yep plan on doing the clay and ironX. Maybe opticoat instead of net shield?

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
04-05-2015, 10:57 AM
Your better off polishing those wheels with a polish with a bit more bite. Such as Menzerna SF4000.

If you have access to a rotary, this would be the ideal machine. If not then the 3" will suffice.

When you get the wheel protected only a light duty wheel cleaner is all thats needed. Save the heavy cleaners when switching out the wheels.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/product-reviews/89724-product-review-pbl-wheel-coating-w-6month-update.html

Brunkel
04-05-2015, 02:59 PM
Your better off polishing those wheels with a polish with a bit more bite. Such as Menzerna SF4000.

If you have access to a rotary, this would be the ideal machine. If not then the 3" will suffice.

When you get the wheel protected only a light duty wheel cleaner is all thats needed. Save the heavy cleaners when switching out the wheels.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/product-reviews/89724-product-review-pbl-wheel-coating-w-6month-update.html

Actually, just checked my stock and I have SF4000. I definitely want to use something that isn't too abrasive because the paint on my wheels is SOFT. I could put a scratch in with my finger nail kind of soft.

I'll have to check out that pinnacle coating! Seems like some good reviews.

Mask
04-06-2015, 09:17 PM
Use what you have on hands mate^^
If doesn't ,I would suggest to look into these:
Cquartz uk
PBL diamond surface coating
Optimum gloss coat

I read these are the easier coating to apply :)

oldmodman
04-07-2015, 04:06 AM
And to get the best results pull the wheel off the car first.

That also lets you get to, and do a good job on the wheel wells.

Brunkel
04-07-2015, 07:15 AM
And to get the best results pull the wheel off the car first.

That also lets you get to, and do a good job on the wheel wells.

Yep! My wheel wells definitely need some attention after the winter! Those might benefit from a coating as well instead of just a plastic dressing.

Rims are in my garage and are without tires now too. Hmmm...just realized I may do all this work and then they could get scuffed when the tire store mounts the new tires...maybe wait till after they're mounted?