PDA

View Full Version : Removing wax/polish

dbreeze225
04-04-2015, 08:28 PM
hey guys quick question what is the best way to REMOVE wax/polish? basically what i did was use meguiars ultra cut compound (on a couple area's that really needed it) then went to ultimate compound , then ultimate polish, finally i used meguiars gold class paste wax. also this was all done with a DA polisher/buffer. and well i think i missed a spot or to with the ultra cut compound and honestly i could have done a better job with the polish. so i wanna go back to square one i have never done this but i dont think just throwing compound and polish on top of everything that is already there is the best idea. so is there any way of removing all this to get back to beginning? (preferably a solution that i might allready have in the house so i dont have to go to store and buy a new product BUT if i have to i will). i actuly used to use car polishes and waxes on epoxy toped furniture ( similar to seeing a bar top or tables where it has a real thick coat of epoxy on top) to shine it up worked very well.when i had made a mistake and had to remove the polish or wax i would use some "elbow greese" and mineral spirits and it would get it off. but thats a table not a car i dont know if mineral spirits would be safe for the car paint. ANY wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

trekkeruss
04-04-2015, 08:48 PM
i wanna go back to square one i have never done this but i dont think just throwing compound and polish on top of everything that is already there is the best idea.

Actually, it is the best way; polishing will remove whatever wax or sealant you have laid down.

Don M
04-05-2015, 10:43 AM
i think i missed a spot or to with the ultra cut compound and honestly i could have done a better job with the polish. so i wanna go back to square one

Like trekkeruss said it IS the best way, repolishing will remove anything on the paint and correct the flaws you missed.

irvsmith
04-05-2015, 11:24 AM
A slight addition to the previous replies - claying with clay bars or the nano skin mitts would do the trick and then compound/polishing.

Rsurfer
04-05-2015, 05:05 PM
hey guys quick question what is the best way to REMOVE wax/polish? basically what i did was use meguiars ultra cut compound (on a couple area's that really needed it) then went to ultimate compound , then ultimate polish, finally i used meguiars gold class paste wax. also this was all done with a DA polisher/buffer. and well i think i missed a spot or to with the ultra cut compound and honestly i could have done a better job with the polish. so i wanna go back to square one i have never done this but i dont think just throwing compound and polish on top of everything that is already there is the best idea. so is there any way of removing all this to get back to beginning? (preferably a solution that i might allready have in the house so i dont have to go to store and buy a new product BUT if i have to i will). i actuly used to use car polishes and waxes on epoxy toped furniture ( similar to seeing a bar top or tables where it has a real thick coat of epoxy on top) to shine it up worked very well.when i had made a mistake and had to remove the polish or wax i would use some "elbow greese" and mineral spirits and it would get it off. but thats a table not a car i dont know if mineral spirits would be safe for the car paint. ANY wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

Mineral spirits is absolutely safe for clear coat and can be used to remove polishing oils. If you wanted to remove the existing wax and not polish then MS will do the job. However since you are going to polish, no need as the polish will remove the existing wax. Another alternative to remove existing waxes is to use a paint cleaner.