PDA

View Full Version : Exterior Wash an Wax Plan for 2015 vehicle

robvasi
04-04-2015, 03:54 PM
Purchased on March 13. The dealer detailed it, but I have no idea what was done other than a wash. I don't know if it was waxed or not.

I washed with Mequiar's Gold Class Car Wash. I want to prepare the finish for Sonus ION Paint Coat.

There is Clear-bra material on the rocker panels, part way up each door, the front bumper and painted portion of the grill. (The bra-coat was installed to protect the finish from rock damage on unimproved gravel roads.

Here is my plan and products.

1. Wash the Jeep with Ultima Paint Guard Wash.
2. Dry it with a microfiber towel.
3. Apply Iron X on the areas not covered by the Clear-bra material.
4. Remove Iron X with damp towel
5. Apply Sonus ION Paint Coat on areas not covered by Clear-bra. (I think of this as a wax even though that is not what it is. Hence the title of this thread.

Questions:

1. Does it matter if there is wax on it now? I am hesitant to use anything to remove it over concerns of damaging the Clear-coat.
2. Should I rinse and dry after step 4? The instructions do not state that this is necessary, just wanted to be sure.
3. Is there any reason to apply a paste wax after the Sonus Paint Coat? If so, what is recommended?

swanicyouth
04-04-2015, 04:02 PM
Purchased on March 13. The dealer detailed it, but I have no idea what was done other than a wash. I don't know if it was waxed or not.

I washed with Mequiar's Gold Class Car Wash. I want to prepare the finish for Sonus ION Paint Coat.

There is Clear-bra material on the rocker panels, part way up each door, the front bumper and painted portion of the grill. (The bra-coat was installed to protect the finish from rock damage on unimproved gravel roads.

Here is my plan and products.

1. Wash the Jeep with Ultima Paint Guard Wash.
2. Dry it with a microfiber towel.
3. Apply Iron X on the areas not covered by the Clear-bra material.
4. Remove Iron X with damp towel
5. Apply Sonus ION Paint Coat on areas not covered by Clear-bra. (I think of this as a wax even though that is not what it is. Hence the title of this thread.

Questions:

1. Does it matter if there is wax on it now? I am hesitant to use anything to remove it over concerns of damaging the Clear-coat.
2. Should I rinse and dry after step 4? The instructions do not state that this is necessary, just wanted to be sure.
3. Is there any reason to apply a paste wax after the Sonus Paint Coat? If so, what is recommended?

1. I'm guessing you may not have a polisher, so use some pre-wax cleaner by hand before waxing/Ion. This is necessary to clean the paint of whatever is on it. I'd recommend:

Wash-> clay -> IX -> PWC -> Ion. Also IX should be rinsed off, not wiped off to remove it all. It's safe on clear bra material as well (although it may not be necessary). You just don't want it drying on anything.

2. See #1.

3. Not necessary.

robvasi
04-04-2015, 04:10 PM
1. I'm guessing you may not have a polisher, so use some pre-wax cleaner by hand before waxing/Ion. This is necessary to clean the paint of whatever is on it. I'd recommend:

Wash-> clay -> IX -> PWC -> Ion. Also IX should be rinsed off, not wiped off to remove it all. It's safe on clear bra material as well (although it may not be necessary). You just don't want it drying on anything.

2. See #1.

3. Not necessary.

Correct, I do not have a polisher. I have no skill for the use of a polisher and I'd be scared to use one.
I have never used clay; so I need to review this. Since the Jeep is new, it will not need a harsh clay but it probably does need to be clayed. What type do you suggest?
What is PWC?

Thank you for your reply. I have never detailed a vehicle so this is new to me and I don't want to make a mistake.

swanicyouth
04-04-2015, 04:20 PM
Correct, I do not have a polisher. I have no skill for the use of a polisher and I'd be scared to use one.
I have never used clay; so I need to review this. Since the Jeep is new, it will not need a harsh clay but it probably does need to be clayed. What type do you suggest?
What is PWC?

Thank you for your reply. I have never detailed a vehicle so this is new to me and I don't want to make a mistake.

PWC = pre-wax cleaner. This is a class of products that cleans the paint before you apply a wax. They are easy enough to use by hand, albeit a little time consuming. Basically, it will remove any gunk that is left on the paint.

Is a PWC 100% necessary if your going to use clay and IX. Maybe not. But, I would advise it unless you are pressed for time. Look for a PCW without a heavy glaze component to it if your going to use Ion... Some examples are: Poor Boys Pro Polish, Pinnacle Black Label prep polish, or Auto Finesses' pre-sealant cleaner.

Clay is really important. It will pull all kinds of junk out of your paint you didn't know was there - even on a "new car". IMHO it's more important than IX or a PWC.

If your new to clay, get one labeled as a fine clay. AGO has several to choose from. Use lots of clay lube. All waterless washes make great clay lubes and are available as concentrates. I'd recommend picking up Pinnacles or BlackFires waterless wash....a lot of bang for your buck there.

robvasi
04-04-2015, 04:32 PM
Last week, I purchased Four Star Ultimate Pre-Wax Cleanser.

When I had the clear-bra installed, the men used the Four Star Ultimate Pre-Wax Cleanser for some bug and tar removal. They warned me to not use it on the clear bra as it will scratch it. They suggested that I not use it on the Jeep on any surface to be sure it would not damage the clear bra and expressed concern that would scratch the paint. Even though the description says it does not contain abrasives, their claim is that it might scratch. They work on cars every day so I am inclined to trust them. However, this product came recommended. The install Clear-bra, they are not detailers, so I am not sure how to proceed with this product.

I also have Ultima Waterless Wash so I can use that as you suggested.

I will buy some clay, as you suggested.

I had hoped that Iron X would replace the need for claying, I guess not.

swanicyouth
04-04-2015, 04:44 PM
Last week, I purchased Four Star Ultimate Pre-Wax Cleanser.

When I had the clear-bra installed, the men used the Four Star Ultimate Pre-Wax Cleanser for some bug and tar removal. They warned me to not use it on the clear bra as it will scratch it. They suggested that I not use it on the Jeep on any surface to be sure it would not damage the clear bra and expressed concern that would scratch the paint. Even though the description says it does not contain abrasives, their claim is that it might scratch. They work on cars every day so I am inclined to trust them. However, this product came recommended. The install Clear-bra, they are not detailers, so I am not sure how to proceed with this product.

I also have Ultima Waterless Wash so I can use that as you suggested.

I will buy some clay, as you suggested.

I had hoped that Iron X would replace the need for claying, I guess not.

You can use a PWC (or polishes with abrasives for that matter) on CB material. But, since you just had the CB installed, it may not be necessary. You always have to evaluate what you are working on. Least aggressive method and all that.

Is it possible to mess up a CB with a PWC? Maybe. That being said, I've used numerous polishes and PWCs on my CB over the past 5 years without issue. A lot comes down to your technique. It's like I can pat someone on the back with my hand - or slap them upside the head.... Same hand. Different result.

IX just removes iron particles above and below the surface of the paint (embedded iron). That's all it does.

Clay will remove iron that sits above the painted surface (shearing off the "heads"), embedded dirt (big one here), and various other types of gunk that just won't come off paint from washing.

The 4* stuff is a perfect PWC before Ion.

robvasi
04-04-2015, 05:17 PM
So it seems all I need to add is the clay bar. I watched the video on this forum on clay bar technique and I and do that. Now I need the right clay bar, I was not able to find the AGO brand that you suggested.

swanicyouth
04-04-2015, 05:22 PM
Pinnacle fine clay is good.