PDA

View Full Version : Ok, I'm bored so I'll post this.

Don M
04-03-2015, 03:53 PM
Since I didn't buy any new finishing pads, I took one of my old 7.5" finishing pads (they are still good, because I rarely used them), centered the 5" backing plate on the pad and cut around the backing plate until I ended up with a 5.5" / 5.75" finishing pad. I've already checked and the backing plate can't come in contact with the paint while buffing. So now if I care to I have a wax application pad.

expdetailing
04-03-2015, 05:07 PM
Honestly, I've pondered doing this too to some older pads.
Also, I've often wondered what kind of "second uses" guys give to old pads instead of throwing them away. For example, an old buffing pad could be used for a tire dressing applicator, or an old pad could be converted to any dressing applicator for that matter.

Souldetailer
04-03-2015, 05:16 PM
Honestly, I've pondered doing this too to some older pads.
Also, I've often wondered what kind of "second uses" guys give to old pads instead of throwing them away. For example, an old buffing pad could be used for a tire dressing applicator, or an old pad could be converted to any dressing applicator for that matter.

I'm with you guys, use it till it ain't got no use left, period!!! :buffing:

Sizzle Chest
04-03-2015, 06:30 PM
Pics! Cool little project! What did you cut it with?

Don M
04-04-2015, 05:55 AM
Pics! Cool little project! What did you cut it with?

I tried scissors, but the Velcro backing was just too tough so I used a sharp knife and cut it with a sawing motion. The only "flaw" is that the edges are kind of jagged, but on a no-cut waxing pad, I don't think it will matter.

If I can get my MIL's camera, I'll try for some pics

Kevin845
08-05-2015, 02:37 PM
I take the old 6+1/2 inch pads and cut them down to 3+1/8. Use the smaller 3+1/8 on my PC with a 2+7/8 backing plate.

Made a small stamping die to cut the old pads. Just place the old pad on the die and tap with a nylon hammer. Perfectly round small pads for tight areas.

Work in the packaging and diemaking industry so have access to lasers, routers and waterjets.

BillE
08-06-2015, 07:34 AM
An 'electric knife' (the kind one would cut up the Thanksgiving turkey with) works like a champ on foam anything.

Just don't let the person in charge of the kitchen and other interior environs catch you. Reallllly gets 'em upset!

Bill

LSNAutoDetailing
08-06-2015, 01:56 PM
I do a pretty good job at cleaning the pads. But if the foam starts to deteriorate, they go on the trash. Older white polishing pads will get used for Pinnacle Glass-Work Spot remover on exterior glass.

Depends on the customer and their car. Brandy new 2015 Maserati that Scott and I did several weeks back got fresh pads out of the plastic... 8 year old Honda mini-van (4 kids, two dogs) 135K miles and never washed or waxed... (inside or out) I have no issues using a used pad that is clean and serviceable to accomplish the task.

Pretty ingenious Don at cutting down the pad to fit the backing-plate. If I used the Mrs's brand new Cutco cutlery set for that, I'd get them used on me!

g35_coupe
08-06-2015, 02:16 PM
I've cut some 4" pads down to 3" for some really tight spots. Spin them up on a drill and slowly cut into the back with a sharp knife. Takes about 15 seconds.