PDA

View Full Version : Revisiting Squeegees

Odisious
04-03-2015, 01:45 PM
I loved how well the silicone water squeegees worked (I found even faster than blowers...even my metro), but hadn't used them for fear of marring. When considering how the claying process is accomplished and how it is significantly harsher it is on paint, I considered using a high lube rr/ww along with the blade and it worked great. It glided over the surface impressively, and left no marring. I used a combo of DP rinseless, and UWW+. Does anyone feel there is a problem with this process, other than people just hate squeegees?

tenblade2001
04-03-2015, 02:07 PM
it sounds like an interesting solution. I just purchased a new leaf blower, otherwise I'd give it a try with my drying aid.

Calendyr
04-03-2015, 02:14 PM
The danger with squeegees is if you missed a spot and dirt remains, you will scratch your paint. So if you decide you want to use them, make really sure not a single spot has been missed in the washing process.

Thing is, it's almost impossible to achived 100 percent dirt removal. I am super carefull when washing and no matter what, I always find a little dirt on my drying towel.

Odisious
04-03-2015, 02:47 PM
The danger with squeegees is if you missed a spot and dirt remains, you will scratch your paint. So if you decide you want to use them, make really sure not a single spot has been missed in the washing process.

Thing is, it's almost impossible to achived 100 percent dirt removal. I am super carefull when washing and no matter what, I always find a little dirt on my drying towel.
Totally agree. Its amazing how dirty a towel can be from drying a clean vehicle...The only thing I would say is that the use of the RW or WW lifts and lubes enough to stop that nasty little trait...or I'm hoping...It seemed to work really well, but my vehicle is coated.

Desertnate
04-03-2015, 03:14 PM
I be a little afraid of using it on vehicles with soft paint. I've marred soft Toyota paint with a clean, soft MF towel. I'd be afraid the mechanical action of the squeegee moving over the surface would create marring regardless of how clean the surface.

Besides the potential for damage, I think I'd be much faster with a towel. After sheeting the water off the surface of the vehicle, there is so little water left, drying is a breeze.

Odisious
04-03-2015, 03:23 PM
I be a little afraid of using it on vehicles with soft paint. I've marred soft Toyota paint with a clean, soft MF towel. I'd be afraid the mechanical action of the squeegee moving over the surface would create marring regardless of how clean the surface.

Besides the potential for damage, I think I'd be much faster with a towel. After sheeting the water off the surface of the vehicle, there is so little water left, drying is a breeze.

I don't know why but drying takes me FOREVER...and I do mean dry enough to apply an LSP...I'm not talking about just wiping the vehicle dry....I'm also talking about no surprise drips that ruin your applicator as you going over a panel (so door jams and all).

I usually use a metro, followed by a guzzler, and I still find that it takes a long while...My water is hard as a rock so I'm wondering if that's a contributor.

The squeegee saves me a ton of time because I just wipe about 10 passes and 80% of the water is gone in about 2 minutes...I do understand the marring concern, however, I'm really thinking the lift and lube of the RW/WW gives a SIGNIFICANT assist in this area. I only have Toyota and Hondas...I don't do this for a living and don't know if those vehicles have hard or soft clear.

Kengo123
04-03-2015, 03:30 PM
Squeegees are awesome! But I've never considered using them with rinseless before.. just might try it out

KMdef9
04-03-2015, 06:47 PM
With a good LSP, sheeting, a drying aid and a good towel, like dry me crazy, I can dry my vehicle just as fast a squeegee. Just alot safer.

The dirt you'll pick with the squeegee won't be "lifted away" with the RW. If it would, it would have been done during the initial wash.

And a squeegee can't blot like a MF.

The drying stage is a critical part of car care and corners shouldn't be cut.

The comparison of clay and the squeegee is ok if your going to polish after using the squeegee.

swanicyouth
04-03-2015, 07:44 PM
Really...forget all this stuff... If your using conventional washing methods just rinse your car with DI water and let it drip dry. Wipe it down with whatever an hour later and that's it.

Odisious
04-03-2015, 10:36 PM
Really...forget all this stuff... If your using conventional washing methods just rinse your car with DI water and let it drip dry. Wipe it down with whatever an hour later and that's it.

So water spots will wipe off?..Because they haven't had enough time to sit? Even if I don't filter my water this is ok?

spiralout462
04-03-2015, 11:06 PM
So water spots will wipe off?..Because they haven't had enough time to sit? Even if I don't filter my water this is ok?

DI water leaves no water spots since there are no minerals or impurities present.

Odisious
04-04-2015, 06:36 AM
DI water leaves no water spots since there are no minerals or impurities present.

Yeah, not everyone has access to deionized water. It would be nice though!

Setec Astronomy
04-04-2015, 06:44 AM
Yeah, not everyone has access to deionized water. It would be nice though!

CR Spotless Water Systems, deionization system, water de-ionizer, purified water systems, cr-spotless, spot free rinse, spot free car washing (http://www.autogeek.net/cr-spotless-water-systems.html)

Odisious
04-04-2015, 09:54 AM
CR Spotless Water Systems, deionization system, water de-ionizer, purified water systems, cr-spotless, spot free rinse, spot free car washing (http://www.autogeek.net/cr-spotless-water-systems.html)

Building a house right now...not in stars to afford that. You use this system? Is it worth it? Does it make drying go that much faster?

Mask
04-04-2015, 10:05 AM
I tried using distilled water for final rinse. It helps to eliminate water spot and the car looks clean :D
can definitely work slower when drying.