PDA

View Full Version : Engine Detailing

MikeTaylor57
04-03-2015, 12:18 PM
New Hobby, I have detailed my own cars , but it was many years ago before all of the electronics of today. 1966 Dodge Coronet and a 1968 GTO. I am now driving a very well taken care of One owner 2003 Chevy Z71 Extended Cab, White. I spent a small fortune as my wife puts it on detailing products from Autogeek to do the Engine Compartment and the Exterior. I want to start with the Engine Compartment first. I remember printing off a very detailed article over year ago on this subject. My concern is unhooking the battery cables for a prolonged period of time to do this, and what effect it will have on the Computer System of the Truck. Any feedback or advice would be greatly appreciated. I will mention also that I will be using my Garden Hose and I also have an Air Compressor and gas powered Yard Blower. Happy Easter Everyone. Mike

North26
04-03-2015, 01:52 PM
Detailing you engine should not take too long, probably 2 hours if you are super anal about things. Disconnecting the battery it will not mess anything important up, worst case scenario is that your will have to reset the clock and radio stations. Just cover the alternator in aluminum foil, as well as the battery, any exposed cables and any connections, and your air intake.

Finemess
04-03-2015, 02:05 PM
I'd use a plastic bag over the battery. And be careful with all connections, don't flood them.

Riff
04-03-2015, 02:50 PM
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/showpost.php?p=1235750