PDA

View Full Version : Newbie- wax layering question

Specialflav
04-02-2015, 04:26 PM
Hello! New to the forums. Had a question about layering coats of wax. I used to wax my cars a lot when I was younger, but haven't done much lately, till I got my new one.

After doing some research I decided to do a coat of poorboy world black hole since my car is dark navy and it seemed to be a good glaze at a good price. From there I was going back and forth, and this where my question comes in... I used to use collinite 845 when I was younger (glad to see its still highly recommended) but my dad loves the pinnacle souveran we bought him for his anniversary. I understand from what I read that souveran is fairly unmatched when it comes to shine and wet look, but doesn't have the greatest longevity. The collinite has great longevity, but can't match souverans shine.

So my question is- can I do a coat of collinite over a coat of souveran and achieve the result I'm looking for? Long lasting, with that deep wet look?

I've read some other people do a good wax over the collinite. This seems counterintuitive to me. Wouldn't I want to deal the souveran with the collinite?

Any advice is greatly appriciated! Cheers

Smitty4x4
04-02-2015, 04:32 PM
As a general rule, put the longer lasting product on first. This would mean 845 first then Souveran on top. You will get the qualities of the Soveran for the time that it remains, then still have the 845 for protection. I have not used either product and have only seen the results of them used seperately so you may get some better advice or different ideas from other members. Welcome to the forum.

Kamakaz1961
04-02-2015, 04:49 PM
IMO I would GUESS it would be OK. I use a sealant 1st and then top off with a wax. I would guess the same principle. My only concern will you get the same look as the Souveran by itself.

I have Souveran and it is a great wax. Collinite is not bad either. As for longevity, if you are going to wax your ride 1 time every 6 weeks to 2 months I would just use Souveran.

Specialflav
04-02-2015, 05:10 PM
IMO I would GUESS it would be OK. I use a sealant 1st and then top off with a wax. I would guess the same principle. My only concern will you get the same look as the Souveran by itself.

I have Souveran and it is a great wax. Collinite is not bad either. As for longevity, if you are going to wax your ride 1 time every 6 weeks to 2 months I would just use Souveran.

Point taken. I'm sure I will sacrifice some of the souverans luster. It's my daily driver. As much as i would like to wax it that often, it probably won't happen. That's why I'm looking for the blend. Thanks!

Jaretr1
04-02-2015, 05:25 PM
Collinite 845 isnt bad in the looks department. I would just stick with the collinite. It will look great and last a long time.

FUNX650
04-02-2015, 05:58 PM
I've found the following to be one of the best ways to get
the most out of layering the car-care products you've listed:

•Wash/Dry the vehicle

•Decontamination:
-Use of an IronX-type product
-Claying (per: "the Baggie test")

•Paint inspection with swirl-finder lighting source(s)

•Compound/polish per:
-the paint inspections results; coupled with:
-"the Test Spot"

Once the paint correction step(s) have been completed:

•Apply/Remove a thin film layer of Collinite #845 per recommendations
-allow 12-24 hours for cure-time

Note:
While this cure-time is occurring, place the spray bottle
container of your recently purchased Pinnacle Crystal Mist Detail Spray in a chilling-appliance like a refrigerator, ice cooler, etc... for future use.

OK...Collinite #845 cure-time has expired.

•Ready to apply/remove a film layer of the Pinnacle Souveran, per recommendations
-Next: Briefly pull the vehicle into the Sun, allowing the Pinnacle Souveran to warm slightly;
-Pull vehicle back into original shaded area

Time now for the magnum opus!

•Lightly spray the chilled Pinnacle Crystal Mist Detail Spray
on a microfiber towel "to prime it"...and then on each successive panel...as you gently buff the Pinnacle Souveran towards its maximum gloss potential.

•Afterwards:
-Use your "Final Buff" microfiber towel to further level/smooth the Pinnacle Souveran.

• :coolgleam:

Bob

trekkeruss
04-02-2015, 07:08 PM
I understand from what I read that souveran is fairly unmatched when it comes to shine and wet look, but doesn't have the greatest longevity. The collinite has great longevity, but can't match souverans shine.

This might be true if you are putting wax over a less-polished paint, but if a paint is well-polished, IMO the wax doesn't matter.

Specialflav
04-02-2015, 10:30 PM
I've found the following to be one of the best ways to get
the most out of layering the car-care products you've listed:

•Wash/Dry the vehicle

•Decontamination:
-Use of an IronX-type product
-Claying (per: "the Baggie test")

•Paint inspection with swirl-finder lighting source(s)

•Compound/polish per:
-the paint inspections results; coupled with:
-"the Test Spot"

Once the paint correction step(s) have been completed:

•Apply/Remove a thin film layer of Collinite #845 per recommendations
-allow 12-24 hours for cure-time

Note:
While this cure-time is occurring, place the spray bottle
container of your recently purchased Pinnacle Crystal Mist Detail Spray in a chilling-appliance like a refrigerator, ice cooler, etc... for future use.

OK...Collinite #845 cure-time has expired.

•Ready to apply/remove a film layer of the Pinnacle Souveran, per recommendations
-Next: Briefly pull the vehicle into the Sun, allowing the Pinnacle Souveran to warm slightly;
-Pull vehicle back into original shaded area

Time now for the magnum opus!

•Lightly spray the chilled Pinnacle Crystal Mist Detail Spray
on a microfiber towel "to prime it"...and then on each successive panel...as you gently buff the Pinnacle Souveran towards its maximum gloss potential.

•Afterwards:
-Use your "Final Buff" microfiber towel to further level/smooth the Pinnacle Souveran.

• :coolgleam:

Bob

Certainly sounds like it will work. Bit logically doesn't it seems like the collinite should go on second? To kind of 'seal' the pinnacle.

Also, is what you described above what you use? Or do you use something different? Looking for a good shine and long lasting.

Thanks for you help!

Smitty4x4
04-02-2015, 11:35 PM
If you cover the Soveran with the 845 you only get the looks of the 845 and essentially will have wasted the Soveran. The looks come mostly from prep and then last step product. The water beading properties and looks will take on the properties of what ever is on top. You can experiment, do half of your trunk lid one way and half the other. Report back and tell us which you prefer best and why. I will be totally honest. I have a hard time distinguishing between quality waxes even when the two cars are side by side. I usually have to see it on the same panel with the same prep to see it. A week of driving with a DD and it's even harder. I see bigger differences in prep than wax.

HEMIFSH
04-03-2015, 03:19 AM
I have been using Meguiars Cleaner Wax on the daily drivers that I have been detailing and it does a great job and is long lasting. I would assume longevity depends on the amount of time your vehicle is exposed to the sun and the products you use to clean the finish. JMO.

dbreeze225
04-15-2015, 12:48 PM
hey i got a question about this if you do put 2 layers on would it be better to use 2 different products or same one..for instence i use griots best in show wax. now 2nd layer should i use that again (as that was applied with a DA polisher) or i also have meguiars gold class paste wax should i put that ontop of griots??

LaFawnduh
04-15-2015, 03:45 PM
hey i got a question about this if you do put 2 layers on would it be better to use 2 different products or same one..for instence i use griots best in show wax. now 2nd layer should i use that again (as that was applied with a DA polisher) or i also have meguiars gold class paste wax should i put that ontop of griots??

The wushu washy answer is: it depends. If you are using two different styles of wax, say Collinite which is harder and a show wax like pinnacle, you are trying to achieve two separate things: a layer of durable protection topped by a layer of show car wax.

Now, if you are doing two waxes in the same family, like two show car waxes, I don't see a benefit as whichever sits on top will be the primary character displayed. At that point it is better to use the same wax twice.

glfnaz
04-15-2015, 05:00 PM
For a daily driver have you considered a coating?

This one is designed to allow you to put a carnuba wax on top of it if you desire:

Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Paint Coating (http://www.autogeek.net/pinnacle-paint-coating.html)

A coating plus the Souverän™ Carnauba Paste Wax, both from Pinnacle.