PDA

View Full Version : DP Coating and an "invisible bra"

Sigmund
04-02-2015, 10:58 AM
I am very seriously considering buying and applying the DP Coating on my new 2015 Subaru XV Crosstrek while the paint is still new and unblemished. However, I've also been thinking of getting the extra protection of a 3M "invisible bra" for the front of the vehicle due to the likelihood of taking it down dirt/gravel roads and onto the beach. My question is, will the DP Coating keep the invisible bra from adhering? Would ya'll put the bra on first? Any help/guidance will be greatly appreciated.

Feed back please

FUNX650
04-02-2015, 11:31 AM
I'd first check with either 3M or the PPF installer,
to make doubly-sure that:

-'Coatings' are compatible with the particular generation
of 3M PPF you plan on installing;

And that, if so:

-3M recommends to install the film first

Bob

Sigmund
04-02-2015, 12:20 PM
Thanks. I did check with InvisibleMask, the PPF maker, and the rep told me the coating would be applied first, and assured me the PPF would work with the paint coating, but for some reason I'm not 100% reassured. I am aware that often folks will say whatever needs to be heard to sell a product. Just wondering if any folks around these parts have tried it before.

Sigmund
04-02-2015, 12:25 PM
Ooo, another question. If I wanted to plasti-dip part of my rear bumper cover, would I also want to to that before applying like DP Coating or the Duragloss stuff? Would I then be able to DP Coat or Duragloss over the plasti-dipped bits? (Would I even need/want to?)

Jeff Wagner
04-02-2015, 12:34 PM
Personally i would do the PPF first because the warranty may possibly be voided if put on an after market coating. You can put the coating on over the ppf for extra protection. Here is a link to a 2015 Porsche 911 GT3 that got ppf first then i coated it with Opti gloss-coat.

https://www.facebook.com/ArtistryAutoDetailing/photos/pcb.455857304562391/455846651230123/?type=1&theater

Jeff Wagner
04-02-2015, 12:38 PM
Not a big fan of plasti dip on cars but it is a cool product

Sigmund
04-02-2015, 12:57 PM
Not a big fan of plasti dip on cars but it is a cool product

I'd like to use it to cover the bottom part of the rear bumper cover to make it match the corners....

http://www.subaruxvforum.com/forum/attachments/subaru-xv-general-discussion-forum/106042d1427765956-what-did-you-do-your-subaru-today-2015-03-30-18.17.25_ds.jpg

FUNX650
04-02-2015, 01:00 PM
Thanks. I did check with InvisibleMask, the PPF maker, and the rep told me the coating would be applied first, and assured me the PPF would work with the paint coating, but for some reason I'm not 100% reassured. I am aware that often folks will say whatever needs to be heard to sell a product. Just wondering if any folks around these parts have tried it before.
I should've known that's what they'd say!

However:
I agree with the following advice from XPel:

"Can/should Opticoat or cQuartz be applied to the car before the film is installed?"

"We do NOT recommend applying sealants such as Opticoat or cQuartz to the parts of the car that will be covered with film. The low surface energy of paint sealant products such as these will cause adhesion problems both during installation and over the life of the product. In addition, it is worth noting that there is really no benefit to applying sealant to the paint before the film anyway, since the film will provide far more environmental protection to the paint than a sealant ever could."

Bob

Sigmund
04-02-2015, 01:04 PM
I'm not a chemist or engineer or anything, but that's exactly what my concern is. Thanks for this ya'll, I think I believe your input/advice over some unseen customer service rep.

Edit: I think I'm also going to approach the plasti-dipped bit the same. Do the plasti-dip first, then just paint-coat around it, since the plasti-dip will, for all intents and purposes, be shielding the paint underneath anyway.

Evan.J
04-02-2015, 03:37 PM
I've detailed and coated many cars with clearbra and I can say that the car should be detailed first then the PPF should be applied then finally after the film has cured the coating should be installed.

Sigmund
04-02-2015, 05:14 PM
I've detailed and coated many cars with clearbra and I can say that the car should be detailed first then the PPF should be applied then finally after the film has cured the coating should be installed.

Thanks for the info. That is my plan then.

Evan.J
04-02-2015, 05:47 PM
This is an example of what can happen if PPF is placed over a coated car.

http://youtu.be/tdEDKuh593g