PDA

View Full Version : water spots

mparker30
08-29-2007, 07:42 PM
Whats up everyone? I am getting ready to polish my truck and seal it for the winter. However I noticed today that I have water spots on my hood that will not come off during normal washing. I have SIP and p106ff. I don't know how long they have been there. I just got the truck in Febuary. Do you think I should order the power gloss or would the sip be enough with an orange pad?

mparker30
08-29-2007, 09:12 PM
anyone?

Thejoyofdriving
08-29-2007, 09:13 PM
Hello! I think that SIP with a orange pad would make them barely noticeable, of course it depends on the hardness of your clear coat too. You can always go over it again. Are you using a PC 7424?

mparker30
08-29-2007, 10:21 PM
Yes..I will be using a pc. It is a black rr sport.

richy
08-29-2007, 10:30 PM
Funny thing, I've got them on my hood too after I washed yesterday..wht's up with that? Gonna be trying some new sealant on the hood to get better protection! As with any correction, start 1st with a least aggressive method (polish/pad) and work your way to more aggressive..don't immediately jump to your big gun..needlessly carve away more clear that way. Menz products will make the marks go bye-bye, that's for sure!

blkyukon
08-29-2007, 11:17 PM
Before using a polish to remove them, try vinegar first. If they are just mineral deposits then the vinegar will remove them.

I use a 70/30 mixture of vinegar to water
- spray or wipe it on a 3x3 area
- let it dwell for about 20-30 seconds
- remove with a MF towel
- wash and rewax when finished

Funny thing, I've got them on my hood too after I washed yesterday..wht's up with that? Gonna be trying some new sealant on the hood to get better protection! As with any correction, start 1st with a least aggressive method (polish/pad) and work your way to more aggressive..don't immediately jump to your big gun..needlessly carve away more clear that way. Menz products will make the marks go bye-bye, that's for sure!
If they are from yesterday, then a QD or a 50/50 vinegar/water mixture will defiantly work.

richy
08-29-2007, 11:51 PM
Before using a polish to remove them, try vinegar first. If they are just mineral deposits then the vinegar will remove them.

- remove with a MF towel

If they are from yesterday, then a QD or a 50/50 vinegar/water mixture will defiantly work.

i will try that tomorrow..thanks a lot..damn, you never stop learning!;)

Thejoyofdriving
08-30-2007, 12:08 AM

- remove with a MF towel

Yep, that would work if they are just mineral deposits. Also a 50/50 of alcohol(isopropyl) and water would work too. When i heard water spots i was thinking etching for some reason. Sometimes water spots can etch into the paint and the only way to remove them is with a polish or compound. Usually most mineral deposits go away after a wash but some of them are real stubborn. I guess I imagined that he was talking about water spot etching. Pics would really help so that we know what we are dealing with.

mparker30
08-30-2007, 04:28 AM
I am talking about etching. Theses spots won't go away with a quick detailer. But Ill try with the 106ff then bump it up to the sip. Thanks everyone.

TOGWT
08-30-2007, 04:52 AM
Slow cut method (using a random orbital polisher, Final Finish (PO 105FF) and a (White LC CCS foam pad) - this polish is formulated with very finely milled micro diminishing abrasives so they don’t require much to ‘breakdown’ and shouldn’t cause surface marring - Start at speed # 4, move the pad slowly across the area, then speed # 5, without any pressure, when the polish starts to go clear, spray the pad with distilled water, reduce to speed # 4, then spray pad again, increase to speed # 5 and apply pressure. Apply polish at a machine linear speed (MLS) of approximately 0.25 to 0.5-inch per second for each 2-foot x 2-foot panel (hence ‘slow cut’) Burnish paint surface using an ultra-fine (100 ppi) finishing primed foam pad (Black LC CCS) this method is time consuming but the results are well worthwhile.