PDA

View Full Version : 5" pads and backing plate are HERE

Don M
04-02-2015, 02:30 AM
While I was away today (OK, yesterday) USPS dropped off a small box. I knew I had only ordered one thing lately and the return address confirmed it, but, I thought, this box is way too small for 6 pads and a backing plate (plus my free pad brush).

I opened the box and Lo and Behold, there they all were, 6 brand new, still in the plastic wrapper Megs 5" flat pads and a 5" backing plate ... and my free brush.

I pulled one of the pads out of the box and thought, this little sucker is teeny! I have been using 7.5" (at least) ever since I had my PC and let me tell you, those things are GIGANTIC compared to these.

I know everyone says these small, flats perform better (cutting and polishing), but how do they handle compared to the monstrosities I had been using?

Oh yeah, that "free" brush seems awful stiff/coarse to be using on pads to clean them, it almost feels like a small tire brush.

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
04-02-2015, 02:58 AM
Wow! Using a 7.5" pad on a PC? That is overkill for this machine. Massive thick pad combined with polish will severely hamper the performance. That size pad is best suited for rotary use.

As for the performance/handling characteristics of the smaller pad size, there is no comparison. It will be a completely different polishing experience. The PC will have adequate power to spin this pad size in almost any circumstance.

As for the brush, only use it on the pad when the machine is turned off. Hold the plate/pad in a way that is facing up and stationery. Then brush the face of the pad to remove excess residue.

VISITOR
04-02-2015, 03:32 AM
i've used the new megs 5" DA foam discs with the GG6 with great results and those pads are really thin and are perfect to use on a traditional DA (it will be a night & day difference if you have been using thicker and larger pads). IME they tend to get a little saturated quicker so it's a good idea to get a couple extra...

Don M
04-02-2015, 06:53 AM
i've used the new megs 5" DA foam discs with the GG6 with great results and those pads are really thin and are perfect to use on a traditional DA (it will be a night & day difference if you have been using thicker and larger pads). IME they tend to get a little saturated quicker so it's a good idea to get a couple extra...

Really thin ... no kidding!

I'll be buying more as soon as I can afford them, right now I wanted to start small (no pun intended)