PDA

View Full Version : Bonding Issues

AUdakota
08-29-2007, 06:39 PM
I will be driving a diff. car for probably about a month and I was looking to keep it in good condition while I have it. I just recently polished this car so hopefully it wont need any correction but I was going to try something new for the car.

What about in this order....
XMT Glaze
PB Natty's Red
PB EX Sealant
And than maybe topped off with Spray Souveran.

Will I have issues with the EX in the mix?

Al-53
08-29-2007, 06:54 PM
I do not think the EX will bond to the Natty's..I would reverse it....EX then Nattys....EX is a polymer sealant with Carnauba in it....so with the polymers it may not do well on top of the Natty's....

I do not even know how well it will do with the Glaze....

Al

Truls
08-29-2007, 06:54 PM
Sealant over wax may not work too well, can get bonding issues so i would skipp the PB Red..

Or:

XMT glaze
PB EX sealant
PB N red
Spray souveran

The glaze under the sealant shouldnt be a problem as far as i know (but never tryed it myself, only the MG7)

DAL1955
08-29-2007, 07:22 PM
Sealant over wax may not work too well, can get bonding issues so i would skipp the PB Red..

Or:

XMT glaze
PB EX sealant
PB N red
Spray souveran

The glaze under the sealant shouldnt be a problem as far as i know (but never tryed it myself, only the MG7)

XMT finishing glaze has carnuba. It won't work well under a sealant. (Ask me how I know) I would polish to the point of LSP ready, do the sealant, the wax and then the Spray Souveran. As far as I can verify (from first hand knowlede because I have the products and read the label), the Wolfgang glaze is suitable for use under the Wolfgang Sealant. I'm sure there are other glazes that can be used under sealant, I just don't know which ones they are. The issue is one of product compatibility. Sealants are typically acrylic polymer based designed to bond directly to the acrylic clear coat and must a clean surface to which to bond. The wax is essentially just a coating on top of the clear coat that prevents the acrylic polymers in the sealant from reaching the actual clear coat, thus the poor bonding result.

DAL

AUdakota
08-29-2007, 08:05 PM
hmmm I just want to use a lot of stuff on one car haha.

TOGWT
08-30-2007, 04:21 AM
Like will bond to like (i.e. Polymer / Polymer Wax/Wax etc)
If you want too seal a Glaze with a polymer, ensure the Glaze contains a polymer and it will form a bond.

Bonding:
Carnauba wax will bond to a cross-linked polymer; conversely if a polymer is applied on top of Carnauba wax the cross-linking / bonding may be compromised. Although I would not state categorically that a product that is formulated with oils will abort the cross-linking or bonding process of a polymer just that the process may not be as complete, and its strength and durability may be affected

A polish or product that contains oils should be cleaned with a 1:1 solution of Isopropyl alcohol / distilled water or Menzerna Top Inspection, before the application of a polymer. There are some polymer-based Glazes that will bond with polymer sealants