PDA

View Full Version : glaze

Pages : [1] 2

fq_22
04-01-2015, 09:17 PM
Looking for a glaze to fill in some swirls. Was looking into the chemical guys glossworkz ahas anybody tried it or recommend anything?

mcate
04-01-2015, 09:25 PM
Chemical Guys EZ Creme & Poorboy's Black Hole are both excellent.

FUNX650
04-01-2015, 09:45 PM
From Mothers 3-Step System:
•Mothers California Gold Micro-Polishing Glaze (Step 2.)
Mothers California Gold Micro-Polishing Glaze comes after Mothers Pre-Wax Cleaner but before Mothers California Gold Carnauba Wax. Cleans and smooths (http://www.autogeek.net/motcalgolsea.html)

•Mothers California Gold Pure Carnauba Wax (Step 3.)
Mothers California Gold Pure Carnauba Wax Liquid 16 oz. (http://www.autogeek.net/phas3calgolp.html)

Or...the following AIO-ish type product:
•Autoglym Super Resin Polish (SRP)...
(Abundant "fillers"; allegedly has a little bit of Sealant in it)

Bob

sealthedeal
04-02-2015, 08:31 AM
Ez creme doesn't fill much, glossworkz does.
Poor boys and prima amigo are great options too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Desertnate
04-02-2015, 09:34 AM
I've used the following with good results.
- Poorboy's Black Hole: Fills great, amazing on black, really easy to use
- Prima Amigo: Cleans, has VERY slight abrasives, doesn't fill as much as Black Hole, but still looks good. Surface is slippery once applied. Very easy to use.
- 3M Imperial Hand Glaze: Don't remember how well it fills, but paired with a carnauba wax on a silver car looks amazing

Depending on the color of car you're dealing with, Poorboys White Diamond may be an option. It's the light color version of Black Hole

binly
04-02-2015, 01:40 PM
I've used the following with good results.
- Poorboy's Black Hole: Fills great, amazing on black, really easy to use
- Prima Amigo: Cleans, has VERY slight abrasives, doesn't fill as much as Black Hole, but still looks good. Surface is slippery once applied. Very easy to use.
- 3M Imperial Hand Glaze: Don't remember how well it fills, but paired with a carnauba wax on a silver car looks amazing

Depending on the color of car you're dealing with, Poorboys White Diamond may be an option. It's the light color version of Black Hole

I did a comparison with these three products oddly enough (black paint), I found that Prima amigo on a white pad did the most filling by far, but by hand Black Hole does the most.

Zubair
04-02-2015, 04:05 PM
Let me throw a curve ball, what if I told you my Meguiars A12 Cleaner Wax filled more than my Blackhole? I think its the polishing oils, but honestly doesn't matter what it is as long as its getting the job done. Give it a shot it will surprise you.

Desertnate
04-03-2015, 08:02 AM
I did a comparison with these three products oddly enough (black paint), I found that Prima amigo on a white pad did the most filling by far, but by hand Black Hole does the most.

Interesting. I also used a white pad on a DA with a speed of 4~5. I found if I worked the product until it almost disappeared it would fill very well. If I just hit the area with a couple of passes the results were less favorable.

Both products are excellent in my book. Unless prepping a vehicle for a show, I'll stick with the Amigo because of it's cleaning/polishing properties.

fq_22
04-05-2015, 02:00 AM
My tahoe is black and grabber blue. The goal is to throw on some glaze hide as much swirls as I can seal it then hit it with some carnuba wax

PiPUK
04-05-2015, 03:46 AM
Just be aware that you cannot 'seal in' a glaze - chemistry does not work that way. Sealants will bind themselves to the surface, not some oily film on top. At best you end up with the sealant making the way to the surface and the glaze mixed on top, at worst you end up with the sealant never getting to the surface and you get a finish which is limited by the adhesion of glaze to paint.

I certainly have seen this problem many times - glazing first gives very little benefit. I think most people miss it because the paints is still beading away and it isn't in the shop under inspection lamps. In my experience, whether you glaze first or last, the actual filling lasts one a very short time.

Let me ask you, why would you believe it possible to 'seal in' a glaze, but is it not possible to do the same to a wax? There is a big disconnect in thinking.

fq_22
04-05-2015, 04:51 AM
Just be aware that you cannot 'seal in' a glaze - chemistry does not work that way. Sealants will bind themselves to the surface, not some oily film on top. At best you end up with the sealant making the way to the surface and the glaze mixed on top, at worst you end up with the sealant never getting to the surface and you get a finish which is limited by the adhesion of glaze to paint.

I certainly have seen this problem many times - glazing first gives very little benefit. I think most people miss it because the paints is still beading away and it isn't in the shop under inspection lamps. In my experience, whether you glaze first or last, the actual filling lasts one a very short time.

Let me ask you, why would you believe it possible to 'seal in' a glaze, but is it not possible to do the same to a wax? There is a big disconnect in thinking.

Cause I kept reading up and seeing glaze-sealant-wax in that order. So I thought I was possible. Sorry bro I'm a noob lol

Mask
04-05-2015, 05:40 AM
I never buy into a glaze product.
Shine comes from clean surface:
Decon & Polish
Remove the oily surface from polishing and lay down the desire LSP (Wax/Sealant/Coating) :D

d33p
04-05-2015, 05:53 AM
CG ez creme claims you can seal or wax right over it

rwright
04-05-2015, 06:44 AM
Ez creme doesn't fill much, glossworkz does.

Bingo. I was not impressed with EZ Creme Glaze at all. Another worth mentioning is CG Blacklight. Does a good job at filling but adds a little wax too. Let it cure then add another layer of wax and you're good for a few weeks.

Rumor has it Meguiar's Ultimate Paste fills pretty good too.

PiPUK
04-05-2015, 07:27 AM
Cause I kept reading up and seeing glaze-sealant-wax in that order. So I thought I was possible. Sorry bro I'm a noob lol

Apologies if it seemed like I was singling you out - I was actually being very general because the order you have highlighted is what many on here will subscribe to. IMO, glazing is something that belongs in the past. You applied a glaze and then put a wax over the top. The wax didn't have any real bond and could just sit on top and perhaps it could protect the underlying glaze. In the modern world of sealants and bonding, it just ceases to make sense. These days, a glaze belongs at the end, like a super gloss detailer. It is something to put on to get a blingy look and something to apply often because there is little good reason to expect it to last.

Others may well disagree, but no one has given any technical reason to back it up.