PDA

View Full Version : M61/M63 or Just M61 on Fifth Wheel

kazuaki
04-01-2015, 12:02 PM
Hello,

I'm just a basic do-it-yourself home detailer, not a pro or even enthusiast :) With that in mind, I have a question about the care of my 42 foot fiberglass sided fifth wheel. It's only 2 years old and the finish is in good condition. I don't see any obvious signs of oxidation. I'm guessing there may be some light oxidation, but not chalky or anything. I've hit a few spots with a quick detailer and microfiber and they look pretty glossy and smooth. Anyway, it's time to give it a polish and or wax. I've got the following products: 3M Marine Rubbing compound (don't think I'll need this), Meguiars M61, and Meguiars M63. I'll be using a GG6 to apply product. I'm thinking the M61 would be perfect for just a general cleanup of any very minor oxidation and stains. My question is, should I top it with M63? I know that M61 is supposed to be kind of an all-in-one cleaner/wax, but will I get noticeably more durability by topping it with a dedicated wax like M63? As you can imagine, I don't enjoy polishing and waxing this gigantic fifth wheel, so durability/longevity is important to me.

Thanks!

North26
04-10-2015, 10:31 AM
Both are good products. M63 is like a shining wax, intended to be used to enrich color and produce a high gloss shine. Typically these types of products are not extremely durable and will not last long.

M61 will last longer, how long? I don't know as it all depends on climate/storage/weather/etc. However, 303 Aerospace is something you should look into. It is a great product and will protect. Here....

303 Aerospace Protectant 10 oz (http://www.autogeek.net/303aerprot8o.html)

kazuaki
04-10-2015, 10:49 AM
Both are good products. M63 is like a shining wax, intended to be used to enrich color and produce a high gloss shine. Typically these types of products are not extremely durable and will not last long.

M61 will last longer, how long? I don't know as it all depends on climate/storage/weather/etc. However, 303 Aerospace is something you should look into. It is a great product and will protect. Here....

303 Aerospace Protectant 10 oz (http://www.autogeek.net/303aerprot8o.html)

I uses 303 on rubber and plastic trim. I never thought of using it directly on gelcoat.

North26
04-11-2015, 01:48 AM
From 303 Products (the manufacturer) description on Amazon.

"303 Aerospace Protectant was originally engineered for aerospace and aviation applications, it’s a premium surface treatment that instantly beautifies and provides superior protection against harmful UV rays. Great for use on colored gel-coat fiberglass, inflatable boats, vinyl, clear vinyl (isinglass) windows, rubber plastics and leather. Easy to use, spray-on and wipe dry. Treated surfaces repel dirt, soiling, staining, water spots, salt water and mildew."

Same thing but this one description here at Autogeek.
"303 Protectant protects any color plastic, rubber, vinyl, fiberglass or sailcloth from the damaging effects of ultraviolet rays. 303 Protectant works great on boats, penetrating the colored gelcoat to restore a like-new finish. Protects new finishes from oxidation caused by UVS exposure. Excellent on RV's, convertible and vinyl tops, rubber bumpers, dashboards and woven polyester."

It is one of the "jack of all trades" products I use rather regularly and works really well. I would apply after waxing or at least I do. It may dull the shine a bit, but I would rather have a client's RV/Boat protected 100% than have it look shiny but will quicker in a month.

Gnarboots11
04-14-2015, 12:30 PM
I'm looking to seal my new Class C RV. Can you link me to the M61 product you are speaking of?

kazuaki
04-14-2015, 12:43 PM
http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-flagship-cleaner-wax.html