PDA

View Full Version : Finally joined the MF waffle weave crowd

Pages : [1] 2

Desertnate
04-01-2015, 08:29 AM
Old habits die hard...

Just a week or two ago I was defending my dear old friend, the Absorber. I'd used it for a decade. It was a trusty sidekick.

On a whim I thought I'd give some MF waffle weave towels a try and put my Amazon Prime membership to work for me. Now I'm the proud owner of a Meguiars Water Magnet and a couple Dry Me a River towels. Why I have both is long story....

After using them twice now, I don't know why I waited so long to try them out. When used with a drying aid on a car that sheets water, they are so much easier to use, slide so much easier across the surface, and actually dries the car much better.

A side benefit of this change is I now have a new use for my Pinnacle Waterless Wash concentrate. It never worked well for me as a waterless wash and sat collecting dust in my garage. Now it's back in service as a drying aid and leaves my black car looking amazing!

Another step on the journey...

Odisious
04-01-2015, 08:33 AM
^^Which of the two do you like better?^^

Mask
04-01-2015, 08:42 AM
i was wondering why my meguiars water magnet die after few wash :(
glad to hear it work for you...

Setec Astronomy
04-01-2015, 08:45 AM
Another step on the journey...

Yeah, except it seems that the latest trend in the journey is back to "terry" style microfiber drying towels like the Dry Me Crazy and others.

Desertnate
04-01-2015, 10:04 AM
^^Which of the two do you like better?^^

Both worked really well and you probably can't go wrong with either one. I did find the Dry Me a River to be softer and more absorbent.

Desertnate
04-01-2015, 10:08 AM
Yeah, except it seems that the latest trend in the journey is back to "terry" style microfiber drying towels like the Dry Me Crazy and others.

I've seen that. I've used some of the really plush gold "Cobra" MF towels from AG for waterless washes and found them to not absorb very well once they were wet. I like being able to wring out a waffle weave and keep going.

conman1395
04-01-2015, 10:10 AM
I was in the waffle weave grind for a while. Now I'm a Dry Me Crazy fanboy. It's truly amazing.

Desertnate
04-01-2015, 10:29 AM
I was in the waffle weave grind for a while. Now I'm a Dry Me Crazy fanboy. It's truly amazing.

That's interesting. Looking at that towel makes me think it would be like trying to dry off your car with a wet Sheep Dog once it becomes saturated.

What happens when it gets really wet? Can you wring it out well, or does it never really get soaked because it's so plush?

Setec Astronomy
04-01-2015, 10:32 AM
Did we all just drink the coolaid on WW's having that special construction that makes them pick up water better than terry? I know my terry tend to not be that absorbent, but I think a lot of that has to do with wax/sealant/dressing residue. I wash my drying towels separately.

Doesn't matter that much I have enough WW's to last me forever.

Desertnate
04-01-2015, 11:05 AM
I haven't dried a car with a terry-like towel in 20 years. I road the synthetic chamois train for a long time. I don't really remember what it was like.

Could it be the absorbancy or the lack of nap on the WW's which makes them easier to wring out? I think if one was to shave the loops off a terry cloth towel, the actual fabric backing might be less plush than what is found in WW's. Don't know.

Either way, I'm really happy with the results and plan on sticking with it until these products wear out. Then I'll adjust again if needed.

tpr1634
04-01-2015, 11:15 AM
I like my dry me a river.

trekkeruss
04-01-2015, 11:24 AM
I too used to be an Absorber guy, but now I use the Guzzler towels. I'm moving to a dryer soon though. I bought a used two-motor dog dryer (I have a Chow Chow), and intend to also use it on my Element. I just have to get a new hose for it.

silverfox
04-01-2015, 12:29 PM
I use MF ww exclusively when wiping anything wet (as opposed to say removing a wax or polish). The dry me a river combo with any rinseless or waterless wash is exceptional.

Setec Astronomy
04-01-2015, 12:47 PM
I haven't dried a car with a terry-like towel in 20 years.

Could it be the absorbancy or the lack of nap on the WW's which makes them easier to wring out? I think if one was to shave the loops off a terry cloth towel, the actual fabric backing might be less plush than what is found in WW's. Don't know.

I was referring to terry microfibers. Different suppliers describe how waffle weaves work in different ways: "...are woven into a waffle pattern that wicks up water like a hundred tiny windshield wipers" and "the ridges in the waffle pattern scoop up liquid to aid in drying", etc.

I just think it's funny all the descriptions of why we should use waffle weaves for drying as opposed to terry microfibers, and after we've all switched over to them, now people are pushing terry microfibers for drying.

Odisious
04-01-2015, 01:01 PM
^^Yeah, you're right about that...The Dry Me A River has my attention though. I find that I need more than a towel to dry a car to be ready for prep/polish/LSP. I use my little metro mcycle blower after squeegeeing as well as towel dry...I find that I need all three...then again, my water is harder than steel.