PDA

View Full Version : Megs Fine Cut Cleaner

Pages : [1] 2

goodall
03-31-2015, 04:03 PM
I have a black sapphire BMW that is about a year and half old. I have used Wolfgang Swirl Remover in the past on this car and it was good but not great at removing swirls, scratches and all the things a black car shows so readily. I applied some Megs FCC by hand to a few spots yesterday and it removed swirls that the Wolfgang product could not. I used a Porter Cable when I used the Wolfgang. Has anyone used the Fine Cut Cleaner in place of a swirl remover? If I use it, should I do the swirl remover afterwards? This is what Megs recommends but it seems redundant to me.

Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks.

Billy Baldone
03-31-2015, 04:10 PM
We just got my wife a white 2013 128i. And the clear coat is very hard. My flex and 105/205 have worked wonderful together on hers and other BMW's on a regular basis. That is what I would recommend. The fine cut cleaner won't get you the results you are looking for. If you live near by, you are welcome to come by and we can knock it out together.

dlc95
03-31-2015, 05:21 PM
I've positioned #2 Fine Cut Cleaner as step 1 of 2, where I follow it with #66 Quick Detailer (which is a cleaner wax, not a spray product).

It does a good job cleaning and correcting defects, but, might not (needs more testing) finish down as well as a dedicated finishing polish. That is why I paired it with #66. 66 has corrective properties that finish up what #2 started.

Don M
03-31-2015, 05:26 PM
I've positioned #2 Fine Cut Cleaner as step 1 of 2, where I follow it with #66 Quick Detailer (which is a cleaner wax, not a spray product).

It does a good job cleaning and correcting defects, but, might not (needs more testing) finish down as well as a dedicated finishing polish. That is why I paired it with #66. 66 has corrective properties that finish up what #2 started.

I've used #2 Fine Cut Cleaner on a (dark) strawberry-red Ford Taurus and it finished down fine, but then again it's wasn't black. On black it may need to have a chaser to finish it off.

dlc95
03-31-2015, 05:30 PM
I've used #2 Fine Cut Cleaner on a (dark) strawberry-red Ford Taurus and it finished down fine, but then again it's wasn't black. On black it may need to have a chaser to finish it off.

That's really good to know!!

In my testing, it didn't have the bling I was able to get with Ultimate Polish, or SF4000.

I'll keep testing!

Thanks!

Don M
03-31-2015, 05:36 PM
In my testing, it didn't have the bling I was able to get with Ultimate Polish, or SF4000.

Thanks!

I worked it for a decent amount of time and maybe it could have used a chaser on the Taurus too, but the owner came out mid-polishing and was so enthusiastic about the "new" car in the driveway that I just sealed it.

goodall
04-01-2015, 10:27 AM
Thanks for all the great comments. This forum is always so helpful. I appreciate it.

The Guz
04-01-2015, 03:24 PM
Have you considered upgrading to the newer SMAT products from Meguiar's?

goodall
04-02-2015, 10:07 AM
Have you considered upgrading to the newer SMAT products from Meguiar's?

I'm not aware of this line of Megs products. Where do they fall in their product line? Thanks for the tip. I will look into them.

Mike Phillips
04-02-2015, 10:47 AM
I have a black sapphire BMW that is about a year and half old. I have used Wolfgang Swirl Remover in the past on this car and it was good but not great at removing swirls, scratches and all the things a black car shows so readily. I applied some Megs FCC by hand to a few spots yesterday and it removed swirls that the Wolfgang product could not. I used a Porter Cable when I used the Wolfgang. Has anyone used the Fine Cut Cleaner in place of a swirl remover? If I use it, should I do the swirl remover afterwards? This is what Megs recommends but it seems redundant to me.

Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks.

The M02 Fine Cut Cleaner is a diminishing abrasive formula and I'd say from experience that it's a tick more aggressive than the Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover.

The Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover, from experience will finish down nicer on a wider spectrum of paint systems.

If the Wolfgang TSR is not removing the defects fast enough or effectively enough to meet your expectations then get a bottle of the Wolfgang Uber Compound.

This compounds cuts fast and finishes out like a polish. For a black finish I would follow the Uber Compound with the Wolfgang Finishing Glaze. This combo is a proven winner on black paint and any paint.

If you want a sure fire approach to a flawless finish the first time you won't be disappointed. You can use all the Wolfgang products by hand or any type of machine but if you really want perfect then you want to work by machine and I'd recommend a dual action polisher if you're new to machine polishing.

The Wolfgang Four (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/74198-wolfgang-four.html)

Here are four products that will take care of about 99.9% of any exterior paint correction product you'll ever have in your garage.

The Wolfgang Four
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/722/The_Wolfgang_Four.jpg

Forum member RFulmer (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-tools-accessories/73908-need-help-rupes-flex-6.html#post1003767) coined this term, (due credit where credit is due), and since there's been a lot of questions about what each product is, what they do, the order of aggressiveness and when you use one over the other, here's some info...

Uber Compound

Aggressive Compound - More aggressive than Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover and Wolfgang Finishing Glaze.
For use with any type of polisher/buffer and can be used by hand.
Body Shop Safe = Can be used in a fresh paint. environment (body shop) and can be used on fresh paint, (paint just sprayed and less than 30 days old).
Safe for Ceramiclear paints.
Cafe for all clear coat paints.
Safe for all single stage paints.
For some people on some cars it can be used as a compound/polish after which the paint can be sealed with a wax or synthetic paint sealant.

Total Swirl Remover

Medium Cut Polish - Less aggressive than Uber Compound and more aggressive than Wolfgang Finishing Glaze.
Body Shop Safe = Can be used in a fresh paint. environment (body shop) and can be used on fresh paint, (paint just sprayed and less than 30 days old).
Should be tested before using Uber Compound to see if it will remove defects to our satisfaction in keeping with the practice of using the least aggressive product to get the job done.

Finishing Glaze

Fine Cut Polish - Much less aggressive than Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover and of course dramatically less aggressive than Wolfgang Uber Compound.
Should be tested before using Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover to see if it will remove defects to our satisfaction in keeping with the practice of using the least aggressive product to get the job done.
Great "Maintenance Polish" for use removing shallow swirls that show up over time from normal wear-n-tear on daily drivers and after a person has already performed a multi-step procedure to remove serious paint defects.

Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 3.0

German engineered synthetic paint sealant.
Non-cleaning, pure synthetic - Paint must be in excellent condition as in brand new or previously polished to like new condition before use.
Can be applied by hand or any type of dual action polisher wit foam pads.
This product "seals" the paint in the say way a car wax or paint coating will seal the paint. It is water insoluble and as such like all synthetic paint sealants, car waxes and paint coatings is not body shop safe.
Requires 30 to 45 minutes of drying time before removal.
Oxygen activated. After buffing off the excess sealant the remaining protection ingredients should be allowed to cure and fully set-up for an approximate 12 hour window of time before the vehicle is put back into service where it will be exposed to water.

Synergistic Chemical Compatibility
Each product is chemically compatible and chemically beneficial when used as a system approach to take a diamond in the rough and turn it into a glistening gemstone. Using the entire line in the correct order or just a few of the product in the correct order is an example of working forward in the paint polishing process.

All Inclusive System-Approach
This group of four products with just about any tool, any pad and even by hand will produce not only show car results but do it consistently across a VERY wide spectrum of paint systems including,

Hard paints, soft paints and everything in-between.
Factory OEM paints and aftermarket repaints at your local body shop or custom paint shop.
Single stage and basecoat clearcoat.
Which products do you need?
Which product you'll need depend upon the condition of the paint on the car. Click to my list of paint condition categories and read through the descriptions for the different categories. Then after washing and drying your car, inspect the paint both with your sense of touch, (The Baggie Test), and visually with your eyes in bright light for swirls and scratches.

Then determine which category your car's paint fall into. Here are some general guidelines but the best way to determine which exact product you'll need to remove the defects and restore the finish on your car to your expectations can only be determined by doing a Test Spot

How To Do a Test Spot (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/50162-how-do-test-spot.html)

Test Spot results showing the before and after difference...

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/1422/FlexVideo005.jpg

On Autogeek.net

Wolfgang Uber Compound 3.0 (http://www.autogeek.net/wg-5601.html)

Total Swirl Remover (http://www.autogeek.net/wolfgang-total-swirl-remover-car-polish-3-0.html)

Finishing Glaze (http://www.autogeek.net/wolfgang-finishing-glaze-finishing-polish-3-0.html)

Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 3.0 (http://www.autogeek.net/wg5500.html)

And if you don't have a 5" backing plate and 5.5" pads get them...

5 inch Backing Plates on Meguiar's, Griot's and Porter Cable DA Polishers (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-tools-accessories/48668-5-inch-backing-plates-meguiar-s-griot-s-porter-cable-da-polishers.html)

:xyxthumbs:

Jaretr1
04-02-2015, 12:09 PM
I agree with Mike. Especially on the Uber compound. It is excellent, very agressive yet finishes flawlessly. i used it on a red BMW and it got the paint back to 90% without the need to polish.

goodall
04-03-2015, 01:42 PM
The M02 Fine Cut Cleaner is a diminishing abrasive formula and I'd say from experience that it's a tick more aggressive than the Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover.

The Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover, from experience will finish down nicer on a wider spectrum of paint systems.

If the Wolfgang TSR is not removing the defects fast enough or effectively enough to meet your expectations then get a bottle of the Wolfgang Uber Compound.

This compounds cuts fast and finishes out like a polish. For a black finish I would follow the Uber Compound with the Wolfgang Finishing Glaze. This combo is a proven winner on black paint and any paint.

If you want a sure fire approach to a flawless finish the first time you won't be disappointed. You can use all the Wolfgang products by hand or any type of machine but if you really want perfect then you want to work by machine and I'd recommend a dual action polisher if you're new to machine polishing.

The Wolfgang Four (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/74198-wolfgang-four.html)

Here are four products that will take care of about 99.9% of any exterior paint correction product you'll ever have in your garage.

The Wolfgang Four
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/722/The_Wolfgang_Four.jpg

Forum member RFulmer (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-tools-accessories/73908-need-help-rupes-flex-6.html#post1003767) coined this term, (due credit where credit is due), and since there's been a lot of questions about what each product is, what they do, the order of aggressiveness and when you use one over the other, here's some info...

Uber Compound

Aggressive Compound - More aggressive than Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover and Wolfgang Finishing Glaze.
For some people on some cars it can be used as a compound/polish after which the paint can be sealed with a wax or synthetic paint sealant.

Total Swirl Remover

Medium Cut Polish - Less aggressive than Uber Compound and more aggressive than Wolfgang Finishing Glaze.
Should be tested before using Uber Compound to see if it will remove defects to our satisfaction in keeping with the practice of using the least aggressive product to get the job done.

Finishing Glaze

Fine Cut Polish - Much less aggressive than Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover and of course dramatically less aggressive than Wolfgang Uber Compound.
Should be tested before using Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover to see if it will remove defects to our satisfaction in keeping with the practice of using the least aggressive product to get the job done.
Great "Maintenance Polish" for use removing shallow swirls that show up over time from normal wear-n-tear on daily drivers and after a person has already performed a multi-step procedure to remove serious paint defects.

Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 3.0

German engineered synthetic paint sealant.
Non-cleaning, pure synthetic - Paint must be in excellent condition as in brand new or previously polished to like new condition before use.
Can be applied by hand or any type of dual action polisher wit foam pads.
This product "seals" the paint in the say way a car wax or paint coating will seal the paint. It is water insoluble and as such like all synthetic paint sealants, car waxes and paint coatings is not body shop safe.
Requires 30 to 45 minutes of drying time before removal.
Oxygen activated. After buffing off the excess sealant the remaining protection ingredients should be allowed to cure and fully set-up for an approximate 12 hour window of time before the vehicle is put back into service where it will be exposed to water.
Synergistic Chemical Compatibility
Each product is chemically compatible and chemically beneficial when used as a system approach to take a diamond in the rough and turn it into a glistening gemstone. Using the entire line in the correct order or just a few of the product in the correct order is an example of working forward in the paint polishing process.

All Inclusive System-Approach

This group of four products with just about any tool, any pad and even by hand will produce not only show car results but do it consistently across a VERY wide spectrum of paint systems including,

Hard paints, soft paints and everything in-between.
Factory OEM paints and aftermarket repaints at your local body shop or custom paint shop.
Single stage and basecoat clearcoat.
Which products do you need?
Which product you'll need depend upon the condition of the paint on the car. Click to my list of paint condition categories and read through the descriptions for the different categories. Then after washing and drying your car, inspect the paint both with your sense of touch, (The Baggie Test), and visually with your eyes in bright light for swirls and scratches.

Then determine which category your car's paint fall into. Here are some general guidelines but the best way to determine which exact product you'll need to remove the defects and restore the finish on your car to your expectations can only be determined by doing a Test Spot

How To Do a Test Spot (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/50162-how-do-test-spot.html)

Test Spot results showing the before and after difference...

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/1422/FlexVideo005.jpg

On Autogeek.net

Wolfgang Uber Compound 3.0 (http://www.autogeek.net/wg-5601.html)

Total Swirl Remover (http://www.autogeek.net/wolfgang-total-swirl-remover-car-polish-3-0.html)

Finishing Glaze (http://www.autogeek.net/wolfgang-finishing-glaze-finishing-polish-3-0.html)

Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 3.0 (http://www.autogeek.net/wg5500.html)

And if you don't have a 5" backing plate and 5.5" pads get them...

5 inch Backing Plates on Meguiar's, Griot's and Porter Cable DA Polishers (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-tools-accessories/48668-5-inch-backing-plates-meguiar-s-griot-s-porter-cable-da-polishers.html)

:xyxthumbs:

Thanks Mike. This is extremely helpful. I like Wolfgang products and I do have a DA polisher which I have used before with the Total Swirl Remover. I will give the Uber Compound a try. Very much appreciated.

dlc95
04-03-2015, 03:32 PM
Thanks, Mr. Phillips. :dblthumb2:

It's nice to get your insight on M02 FCC, in addition the the Wolfgang line.

HateSwirls
04-05-2015, 10:55 AM
Give the Meguiar's MF Cutting pads a try.
I tested them out using the Ultimate Compound along with my GG6 with great results.
Sometimes using the right pad is what will give you great results.

The MF pads is mostly what I use in my shop now.
I also bought the Meguiar's Correction Compound that's intended to use with the MF pads.
First time I used this combo I was like Wow, look at how well the cut was, finishes down very well.

Mike Phillips
04-06-2015, 06:44 AM
Thanks, Mr. Phillips. :dblthumb2:

It's nice to get your insight on M02 FCC,

In its day... it was one of the best fine cut polishes on the market. I think I have a bottle that dates back to the 1920s's or 1930's.

It was superb on single stage paint which is all we had until the year 1980 when GM started spraying Corvettes with the PPG Deltron basecoat/clearcoat paint systems.

Back in the 1980's to the 2000's it was still a top notch light cutting polish for both single stage and basecoat/clearcoats. Back then we didn't have half the great products we have today to work with and the software for the forum you're reading right now was in beta form in they year 2000. Discussion forums have helped to bring new products to market just because they're part of this thing called the "Internet".

The formula was changed around 2005 or 2006 to make it EPA approved. It no longer has the beautiful solvent aroma it was famous for. It wasn't a nasty smell just a unique odor specific to this one product. I happen to have a 1/2 gallon glass jug of it in my collection and I only know 3 other people that have glass jugs from the old days.

in addition the the Wolfgang line.

The Wolfgang line is simple and complete and can tackle anything.

:dblthumb2: