PDA

View Full Version : Drank the Koolaid

rajon
03-31-2015, 01:59 PM
So, I came here after googling something about detailing. I read and read and read. I bought Mike's book and read and read. I watched the DVD. I searched and searched this forum. Finally I returned the stuff I bought off of amazon and ordered a DA from here.

I have a 2014 Chevrolet Cruze Diesel in Black Granite Metallic and a 2013 Ford Flex in Ruby Red. Up to this point I have been a one bucket washer and Turtle Wax applier. No more, I love a liquid like finish and I like the vehicle to be easy to wash. I live in Michigan and it is not easy to keep a car clean.

I settled on the Griots Garage 6" and ordered the Meguiars paint perfect kit. After many searches I found this kit recommended the most times. I also ordered the Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant and the lambswool pad with microfiber bonnet per the recommendations on this site.

So the Flex is in rougher shape and it is a lease so I am going to start with that. I will do a test spot on both vehicles this weekend with a full day planned for just the cars next weekend. I have decided I first need to scrub my garage as it is pretty dusty after the rough winner we've had.

One caveat, the Cruze hood is getting some gouges filled over the next two days so I want to give the clear coat some time. It will probably be fine but why risk it?

So what I plan to do...

1. Interiors vacuum and polish plastic/leather/pleather. I vacuum the cars at least once a week so the interior detail is not supremely involved. I think typically use detailer spray to clean the painted surfaces inside the door.

2. Ye olde two bucket wash with Meg's gold class and wash mitt. Sometimes I use the pressure washer, sometimes not. I really like the pressure washer for cleaning the wheels.

3. Dry it off. Red max blower and then the Meg's waffle. It works for me.

4. Into the garage we go for claying. I have the meguiars clay.

5. (provided test spot is satisfactory) follow the directions for the 105

6. follow the directions for the 205

7. do the plastic bag check (I found the gouge in the hood this way)

9. Apply the sealant

If all is well just keep them clean for three to four months. If the shine isn't ridiculous enough I may put a layer of carnuba over the sealant.

What a maddening but fun hobby this is becoming.

Please feel free to comment as harshly as you'd like.

tl;dr: Crossing the threshold into machine polishing. Write a lot when I am nervous.

rms64
03-31-2015, 02:02 PM
Welcome to the forum...

One quick observation - 105 before 205 (if the 105 is necessary after your 205 test spot(s) )..

Good luck and have fun!

rajon
03-31-2015, 02:06 PM
Welcome to the forum...

One quick observation - 105 before 205 (if the 105 is necessary after your 205 test spot(s) )..

Good luck and have fun!

Fixed, thanks!

What I really want to do is get really good at this so I can have a clean car most of the winter and not have ot go to an automated wash to do so.

rajon
03-31-2015, 02:28 PM
EEEEK The body shop said do not polish, wax or anything other than wash for 60 days. Sixty. So I guess I will seal the rest of the car and then, in 2 months, polish the whole thing.

Any other ideas are welcome of course.

KyleWrap
03-31-2015, 02:31 PM
The Koolaid is tasty though

rajon
03-31-2015, 02:53 PM
Better than doing drugs and at least you get a clean car out of the deal.

Kamakaz1961
03-31-2015, 02:57 PM
You drank the Koolaid!! Welcome!! What flavor???

Mine was Rasberry!!

LOL

SirTanon
03-31-2015, 04:56 PM
I hope you didn't get the Koolaid from someone named Jim Jones.