PDA

View Full Version : Length of a proper detail

Pages : [1] 2

2011 Kona Blue
03-30-2015, 11:00 PM
I have been detailing on the side for a short time and I feel my time to complete the detail is way to long. I just can't see how giving a complete detail can be done in 4-5 hours by ones self.

It takes me around 7 hours to complete a mid size car and I'm 40 years of age and no disabilities. I'm washing, clay with nanoskin, drying, interior clean by vacuum, windows, shine all interior plastics, shine wheels and put on a all in one cleaner wax to paint. This process takes me around 7 hours.

How long should this be taking me? It takes me around 3 1/2 hours just to complete the all in one cleaner wax process. It takes me around 3 1/2 hours for EACH compound, polish and wax coat I put on a mid size car. Im using a Porter Cable 7424 XP and giving it a good 4 to 5 passes each area.

Is this normal? How long should a detail take for what I'm doing?

Breese147
03-30-2015, 11:13 PM
You might be able to save some time by doing less passes with AIO? Maybe around 2-4 passes. But everything else sounds about right.

dcjredline
03-30-2015, 11:15 PM
Been discussed here a million times. Try to search it if you havent.

detailedsd
03-30-2015, 11:15 PM
I spend on average 6-10 hours on a customers car when I detail it. I am super meticulous though. Here are a few pictures from a recent detail that I spend 10 hours on. If they are paying I will spend even longer. 33404 3340233403 33401

2011 Kona Blue
03-30-2015, 11:40 PM
Been discussed here a million times. Try to search it if you havent.

Okay. I'm sorry! I just wasn't sure what to type in the search area to find topics like this.

2011 Kona Blue
03-30-2015, 11:41 PM
I spend on average 6-10 hours on a customers car when I detail it. I am super meticulous though. Here are a few pictures from a recent detail that I spend 10 hours on. If they are paying I will spend even longer. 33404 3340233403 33401

Beautiful detail!

2011 Kona Blue
03-30-2015, 11:43 PM
You might be able to save some time by doing less passes with AIO? Maybe around 2-4 passes. But everything else sounds about right.

Thank you sir. I worked on a customers car last week. It was a 2005 Toyota Camry and took me 8 hours to complete. The paint was so rough I wound up using Meguiar's Ultimate compound after washing and clay mitt it.

trekkeruss
03-30-2015, 11:46 PM
The last time I did a full detail all in one session was...years and years ago. I break it down, and when I did my Honda Element in February, I spent a week on it (including three days of curing time for the CQuartz).

I could never be a pro, unless I only did AIO jobs.

Kamakaz1961
03-30-2015, 11:51 PM
I have been detailing on the side for a short time and I feel my time to complete the detail is way to long. I just can't see how giving a complete detail can be done in 4-5 hours by ones self.

It takes me around 7 hours to complete a mid size car and I'm 40 years of age and no disabilities. I'm washing, clay with nanoskin, drying, interior clean by vacuum, windows, shine all interior plastics, shine wheels and put on a all in one cleaner wax to paint. This process takes me around 7 hours.

How long should this be taking me? It takes me around 3 1/2 hours just to complete the all in one cleaner wax process. It takes me around 3 1/2 hours for EACH compound, polish and wax coat I put on a mid size car. Im using a Porter Cable 7424 XP and giving it a good 4 to 5 passes each area.

Is this normal? How long should a detail take for what I'm doing?

I can tell you one thing you could get that will save you at least 50% to 70% of your time. Get the Flex 3401 VRG. I was KILLING myself working with the PC7424 XP. It took a very long time for each step.

Once I got the Flex 3401, I could not believe how much time you can save. The forced Orbital Rotation is 2nd to none. You will reduce your polishing time by at least 1/2 or more.

I will use my PC7424 XP on occasion just so I can keep up with my technique.

If I used an AIO I would reduce my time even further. Try the Flex 1 time and you will never look at another polisher...that IMO.

I recently worked on a Cadillac Escalade the largest model and finished the job about 8 - 10 hours. Wash, Clay (nanoskin Blue), compound 1/3 of the SUV, Polish and then Sealant and Wax. I have pics in the Old man Post.

2black1s
03-31-2015, 12:31 AM
Here's how I feel about this... How long it takes to do anything involves several variables with the largest single variable being your "attention to detail". The more acute your own attention to detail is, the longer the job will take - period!

The difference between a 9 and a 10 on a scale of 1-10 can easily be twice the time with the last 10% being the killer.

2011 Kona Blue
03-31-2015, 12:44 AM
I can tell you one thing you could get that will save you at least 50% to 70% of your time. Get the Flex 3401 VRG. I was KILLING myself working with the PC7424 XP. It took a very long time for each step.

Once I got the Flex 3401, I could not believe how much time you can save. The forced Orbital Rotation is 2nd to none. You will reduce your polishing time by at least 1/2 or more.

I will use my PC7424 XP on occasion just so I can keep up with my technique.

If I used an AIO I would reduce my time even further. Try the Flex 1 time and you will never look at another polisher...that IMO.

I recently worked on a Cadillac Escalade the largest model and finished the job about 8 - 10 hours. Wash, Clay (nanoskin Blue), compound 1/3 of the SUV, Polish and then Sealant and Wax. I have pics in the Old man Post.

I have been reading up quite a bit lately on this exact Flex 3401 model you speak about. Is time being saved because you need far less passes with this Flex 3401 to get awesome results?

Not to be ignorant but what makes the Flex save time over the Porter Cable? Isn't the technique and number of passes the same?

2011 Kona Blue
03-31-2015, 12:47 AM
Here's how I feel about this... How long it takes to do anything involves several variables with the largest single variable being your "attention to detail". The more acute your own attention to detail is, the longer the job will take - period!

The difference between a 9 and a 10 on a scale of 1-10 can easily be twice the time with the last 10% being the killer.

Funny you mention that because when I'm detailing a customers car, I treat that detail as if I'm working on my own car. I truley want my customer to be thrilled at the results especially when I give 120% into that detail.

There are times I'll go over areas three and four times just to get that area looking the way I want it but that slows down the process. 😎

AutowerxDetailing
03-31-2015, 01:29 AM
A detail process will take varying amounts of time depending on what is included in the service. Our AIO package can be completed in as little as 3hrs by using time saving products. Process looks like this: clean wheels, wells, jambs, wash, rinse, decon chems on paint, rinse, hydro2 all glass and wheels, clay, dry, dress tires via airbrush, blow dry wheels, AIO, wipe jambs, done.

StalkerStang
03-31-2015, 02:17 AM
I'm on my 3rd week lol......

But, this is my first real detail, I'm working 40 hours a week while taking call on the weekends (supposed to be my days off lol)....

And waiting for proper supplies from AG.....

Not everyone's situation is the same. Do what you can with what you have and enjoy your end product!

Don M
03-31-2015, 10:15 AM
Time to detail a car = skill level/OCD level. Meaning once you get more proficient with your buffer and just how obsessive-compulsive you are about getting "The Perfect Finish."

Once you figure out your technique and what time saving products you decide to go with, knowing which steps you can omit on a specific detail job, plus experience. Once you do this your times will drop.