PDA

View Full Version : 7424xp not spinning efficiently? or technique

Pages : [1] 2

AYoh
03-30-2015, 11:33 AM
Just started polishing with the PC 7424xp and I'm noticing that when I apply the recommended amount of pressure, the pad sort of just "vibrates" in place. Even with a red pad on a wax coat, I almost have to have it hovering on the panel. So my question is, am I pressing too hard/something else or am I missing something else?

Speeds I use
Swirl remover: 6
Polish: 5
Glaze: 4
Wax: 3

tpr1634
03-30-2015, 11:47 AM
If it stalls you are applying to much mustard.

flatstick
03-30-2015, 11:49 AM
did you put a mark on the backing plate to see if it is spinning ? for wax or sealant not reason to apply same pressure as swirl removal . it is not forced rotation so you can stall it with enough pressure.

WRAPT C5Z06
03-30-2015, 12:10 PM
Anything below speed 5 on a PCXP is relatively worthless. It's not a powerful DA.

ski2
03-30-2015, 12:15 PM
Agree Mark!! Just don't understand why people by the PC when the GG6 is more powerful and has a lifetime warranty.

OP--did you install the washer between the backing plate and the machine. If not that could be your problem. If you did you'll just have to live with it and just practice.

WRAPT C5Z06
03-30-2015, 12:16 PM
Agree Mark!! Just don't understand why people by the PC when the GG6 is more powerful and has a lifetime warranty.

:props:

Kamakaz1961
03-30-2015, 01:32 PM
I have the PC7424XP. Here are a couple of suggestions as everyone here is pointing out. The Black Stripe on the backing Plate. If you are using the supplied handle DUMP IT! Put the free hand over the top of the PC and it should help.

The PC7424XP is a decent DA. I like it and still use it. Just get used to it and you will enjoy it!!

You will soon learn about pressure if you observe the backing plate with a stripe.

AYoh
03-30-2015, 02:04 PM
Woah massive responses!

I have not applied a stripe on the backing plate, though that will be the first thing I do once I use it again.

So should I be using speeds 5-6 on pretty much every product? Sort of embarrassing to think that I applied (if you can call it that) my glaze via vibrating instead of orbital rotation xD

Bought the 7424xp mainly out of posted reviews, lack of knowledge and forum scavenging, no real concept of how a power tool would stall with a buffer pad! Maybe thats just the "safety" side of it.

Yep, I did install the washer.

Dumping the handle.

Kamakaz1961
03-30-2015, 03:16 PM
AYoh you dumping the handle I am POSITIVE you will fix the majority of your problem. The Stripe is the other solution too! As for 5 to 6 settings for correcting and polishing...not for sealant or waxing. Speed setting 3 should be fine for those.

IMO you can't do serious damage to your paint with that DA. It is not powerful enough (as is with the majority of free floating DA's) to burn the paint. Is it possible...YES but you really have to be doing that un purpose.

Additionally, I hope you are using pads that are no larger than 5.5" Pads if you are using larger pads (6" or more) than reduce to the size I mentioned.

Have fun too!

ski2
03-30-2015, 03:37 PM
Additionally, I hope you are using pads that are no larger than 5.5" Pads if you are using larger pads (6" or more) than reduce to the size I mentioned.

Good point--5" backing plate and 5 or 5.5" pads. THIN pads also will help. The new Megs 5" pads would be great on a PC XP.

VISITOR
03-31-2015, 01:27 AM
Anything below speed 5 on a PCXP is relatively worthless. It's not a powerful DA.

when I tried it out the PCXP when they first came out I was disappointed and didn't really consider it that much more of an improvement over the original. the GG6 set the bar really high and with more torque/power and an excellent warranty, it's no comparison on which one to choose between the two if someone was deciding on which one to get. in fact, i would rather pick up a HF DA (half the price) then get the PCXP. GG6+5" DA backing plate+megs 5" DA foam discs=F T W

Don M
03-31-2015, 08:43 AM
I have a PC 7424 (non-XP) and the single biggest thing that slows the head from spinning to jiggling is pressure. I would say the next would be the pad + type/amount of product you are using. 'Cutting' compounds are built to dig at the surface to cut away defects, too much pressure could cause the pad to 'grab' the paint and stop spinning because of simple friction. Too little product on the pad could have a similar effect, the cutting edges of the pad could grab the paint also causing it to slow down. Lastly, too MUCH product could gum up your pad, making it sticky, which will slow down your buffer.

At least that seems how it works for me.

AYoh
03-31-2015, 01:38 PM
Using a 5" backing plate with 5.5" CCS pads.

Anybody want to buy a 7424xp at a reduced price? :P

I generally have just followed the DVD instructions on 3 pea sied dots per section worked, but I will adjust based on what product and how much coverage I am getting out of it. I have been working the product into the entire surface area of the pad at the start.

As the day progressed, it seemed like very little pressure was enough to stop the rotation.

Maybe if I can sell the xp or sneak a GG past the wife without her noticing...

Don M
03-31-2015, 04:37 PM
As the day progressed, it seemed like very little pressure was enough to stop the rotation.

Maybe if I can sell the xp or sneak a GG past the wife without her noticing...

Are you using just one pad and letting it load up with polish & paint residue or are you changing out/cleaning pads as they get saturated with product?

Jaretr1
03-31-2015, 05:50 PM

As Mike Phillips says, there are litterally hundreds of thousands of cars whos paint has been polished and corrected using a PC7424XP. That machine has ample power to do most of whatever people need. 99% of the problems occurs from technique. I have never had an issue with my PC not having enough power. Yes, some pressure is needed, but not so much the machine stops altogether. Thats why there are compounds and pads!

Keep watching the videos and keep honing your technique. The key is to keep the machine balanced, it will stop rotating if you put to much pressure on it at an angle. I have removed the stick handle from my machine as well.

Keep your PC, learn how to use it and you will be fine.