PDA

View Full Version : Pinstriping removal

Pages : [1] 2

POPPAJ
03-30-2015, 06:47 AM
Recently purchased a 2013 Lincoln MKT. The factory pinstriping which runs the length of the vehicle is degrading/coming off in a few areas and I want to safely remove it. What's the best method? It's real paint not tape.

POPPAJ
03-30-2015, 10:03 PM
Guess I should have asked which wax is best. :laughing:

builthatch
03-30-2015, 10:10 PM
there are a few things you can try.

if it's coming off already, it's obvious it's not under the clear, so it's likely aftermarket imo. if it's definitely paint, then you can try lacquer thinner first. see of that works. if not, take a basic compound by hand and see if that works. if it seems to affect it, then machine compounding might be the best bet at that stage. if you see no real results with the thinner or hand compound, then very careful sanding is required. this is honestly best left to a very experienced detailer or pro.

i just feel though that if it's coming off so quickly on a two year old car, it should come off pretty easily. just a feeling.

POPPAJ
03-31-2015, 08:10 AM
Thanks for the advice. Above the CC for sure. As the ps can be removed with a thumbnail I'm going to try using a single edge razor blade with lube. I'm hoping that an scratches will be light and easily polished out.

builthatch
03-31-2015, 09:58 AM
Thanks for the advice. Above the CC for sure. As the ps can be removed with a thumbnail I'm going to try using a single edge razor blade with lube. I'm hoping that an scratches will be light and easily polished out.

plastic razor might be something to try first. you can get them at Home Depot.

tuscarora dave
03-31-2015, 12:02 PM
Razor blade is not a good idea. If it's coming off with your thumb nail then lacquer thinner will most likely wipe it away very easily with zero chance of scratching. If you get a slight haze from the thinner just follow it with a light polish.

Using a razor blade is jumping to the most aggressive method first and definitely risks marks that won't buff out.

My experienced recommendation.

FishyX
03-31-2015, 03:28 PM
My brand new 2011 Ford Edge came with some ugly painted on pin stripes. I tried everything including oven cleaner. Lacquer thinner worked the best and did not damage the clear coat. I just dabbed some on a rag and kept rubbing little sections at a time being careful to not let it sit on the clear to long. Make sure to just use your finger tip and keep using a different section of the rag. I quickly hit each 2 foot section with a little Mothers paint cleaner before moving on.

VroomVroom
04-01-2015, 05:55 PM
FWIW...and not to be 'that guy' - but I'm sure this isn't factory.

I use 3M GP adhesive remover, a bit of hot air, and a trusty old plastic putty knife. Mineral spirits (or lacquer thinner) will work too. Soak a towel or applicator, apply generously, follow with heat and some dwelling time, and see if this stuff doesn't just peel right off. Good luck.

POPPAJ
04-01-2015, 09:47 PM
Lacquer thinner doesn't touch it. Heat? It is paint, not tape.
Thanks!

Firehouse Mike
04-01-2015, 10:37 PM
For vinyl graphic lettering / tape, I have always used a 3M Eraser Wheel. Essentially a rubber wheel for a drill. Works great, you do need to watch your heat though...

3M™ Adhesive Eraser Wheel, 4 inch x 5/8 inch, 03612 - 3M Auto (http://3mauto.com/products/adhesives-sealants/3m-adhesive-eraser-wheel-03612.html)

:buffing:

Mike

FishyX
04-02-2015, 10:34 AM
Lacquer thinner doesn't touch it. Heat? It is paint, not tape.
Thanks!

I'm surprised Lacquer thinner doesn't work cuz it's the only thing that worked on my painted on pin stripes. Not to insult you, but any chance you use paint thinner instead of Lacquer thinner? I used to think they were the same myself but I was never that bright!!!!!

builthatch
04-02-2015, 12:13 PM
yeah i'm amazed your nail removes it but saturating/wiping with lacquer thinner doesn't work.

EWtheDETAILER
04-02-2015, 03:23 PM
Try the 3M Eraser, I believe Autogeek carries them, if not your local auto parts store probably does. It uses a drill, but safely removes stickers, pin striping, and graphics on top of the clear coat.

builthatch
04-02-2015, 03:53 PM
you can use the rubber wheel on painted stripes? never knew that. i've only used my AES wheel for adhesive stuff, particularly stubborn German double sided tape.

POPPAJ
04-04-2015, 06:22 AM
I'm surprised Lacquer thinner doesn't work cuz it's the only thing that worked on my painted on pin stripes. Not to insult you, but any chance you use paint thinner instead of Lacquer thinner? I used to think they were the same myself but I was never that bright!!!!!

You can only insult me by throwing $100.00 dollar bills at me! :laughing:
Double checked and it is lacquer thinner.
I'm going to a local collision shop to see about hood alignment and will ask their opinion on this.
Somehow, as the striping is so easy to remove with a thumb nail, I'm pretty sure that I will be using a single edge razor blade with some lube for removal. Any scratches should be minimal and easily removed.

Thanks for all your replies!!!