PDA

View Full Version : Do you guys think it is a good idea to drive a freashly waxed car?

Pages : [1] 2

Thejoyofdriving
08-29-2007, 11:51 AM
What do you guys think about taking a freashly waxed car out for a drive, is it bad? Do most of you guys wait 12hr for all of the solvent to outgass?

67Customs
08-29-2007, 12:10 PM
Unless it is bad weather or you are going mudding or something, I don't see that anything could do any harm.

AUdakota
08-29-2007, 12:12 PM
I drive it??

Deep Gloss Auto Salon
08-29-2007, 12:24 PM
I tend to do my personal detailing when I know I can let it sit...

Inevitably something gets on the finish and comprimises my cure... Whether it be an unexpected shower, windshield wiper fluid from the car in front on me, bird dropping etc.

Obviously waiting for products to cure prior to driving is not always possible BUT in a perfect world I would wait

LazerRed1
08-29-2007, 12:51 PM
Don't worry about it. Just drive it. You will be hitting it with another coat or switching lsp before this coat of wax wears out anyway.:D

klumzypinoy
08-29-2007, 01:20 PM
For wax, I just go drive the car. Now sealant, you have to let that cure of course, and make sure no water touches freshly sealed paint.

Thejoyofdriving
08-29-2007, 03:20 PM
You will be hitting it with another coat or switching lsp before this coat of wax wears out anyway.:D

:D

ScottB
08-29-2007, 05:12 PM
What do you guys think about taking a freashly waxed car out for a drive, is it bad? Do most of you guys wait 12hr for all of the solvent to outgass?

the only reason I wouldnt drive it, is because I dont wanna detail it again or afraid its gonna rain.

Truls
08-29-2007, 05:44 PM
Im cruzin after, flashing the car.......he he

Thejoyofdriving
08-29-2007, 05:55 PM
Im just worried about contaminants getting on the car when the wax is not fully cured.

Truls
08-29-2007, 06:01 PM
well you got a point there, in a perfect world i guess it should be fully cured before driving, but as said above, you probably put a coat of wax on your car before the other one is gone, i know i do...

ZoranC
08-29-2007, 06:36 PM
Im just worried about contaminants getting on the car when the wax is not fully cured.
How long you think it takes for wax to cure fully vs. how long till biggest part of curing is done?

Thejoyofdriving
08-29-2007, 06:53 PM
How long you think it takes for wax to cure fully vs. how long till biggest part of curing is done?
Well i assume most of the curing is done after you wipe off the wax. But the solvents that remain still need to evaporate, which i think happens linearly for the most part. But im not sure im just making hypothesis's.

DAL1955
08-29-2007, 07:41 PM
Well i assume most of the curing is done after you wipe off the wax. But the solvents that remain still need to evaporate, which i think happens linearly for the most part. But im not sure im just making hypothesis's.

It's not linear. Dalton's law of partial pressures is a little more complicated that the explanation below, but essentially, solvents evaporate in proportion to the concentation difference between the liquid phase (on the car) and the concentration in the air (which is normally zero, except in a closed garage with no ventilation). By the time the wax has gone hazy, most of the solvent is gone. You wipe that and any remaining excess product off. You are probably at a point where 80-90% of the solvent is gone and you are left with a very thin layer from which the solvent will evaporate fairly quickly. By the time you'r done with everything and cleaned up, probably all solvent is one except maybe the last 5% or so. Actually driving it ( the air flow) and the higher outside temp will help it cure faster than just letting it sit.

Short of worries about bird poop or road tar which might compromise a fresh wax, I would drive it, but usually by the time I'm done, I need a rest and a cold beer and am too tired to go anywhere so I just let it sit.

DAL

AL417
08-29-2007, 08:59 PM
:)
It's not linear. Dalton's law of partial pressures is a little more complicated that the explanation below, but essentially, solvents evaporate in proportion to the concentation difference between the liquid phase (on the car) and the concentration in the air (which is normally zero, except in a closed garage with no ventilation). By the time the wax has gone hazy, most of the solvent is gone. You wipe that and any remaining excess product off. You are probably at a point where 80-90% of the solvent is gone and you are left with a very thin layer from which the solvent will evaporate fairly quickly. By the time you'r done with everything and cleaned up, probably all solvent is one except maybe the last 5% or so. Actually driving it ( the air flow) and the higher outside temp will help it cure faster than just letting it sit.

Short of worries about bird poop or road tar which might compromise a fresh wax, I would drive it, but usually by the time I'm done, I need a rest and a cold beer and am too tired to go anywhere so I just let it sit.

DAL
This is by far one of the best responses I've ever read on this board! :applause:
You go from Dalton's law to resting with a beer and don't skip a beat. Nice.