PDA

View Full Version : collinite 845 haze

hawaiian5
03-29-2015, 06:58 PM
I searched and read a few posts but still no answer. I have a red Infiniti g35. Paint has been clayed, compounded and polished. Used ipa to wipe off any residue before applying 845. After applying a little 845, i wiped it off after about 20 to 30 minutes. The next morning, the car was covered by a thin haze like residue. I wiped the whole car again and residue was gone. Woke up this morning and the whole car was covered again. I really like this wax, but I always get this haze. Could anyone share some light on this problem? I'm about ready to give up on this wax and change to glasur or souveran.

Spiney
04-01-2015, 03:25 AM
Sounds like the start of a good blues song
"Well I woke up this morning, and my car was all hazy"

Actually the 2nd thing that came to mind is you may be leaving it on too long before buffing it off. I remember reading that Collinite was hard to remove if left on for too long, so I wipe it off much sooner that 20-30 minutes and I have not had any issues on 3 cars. A silver 2003 Subaru, a black 96 Mustang Cobra, and a 90 Ford Ranger with fresh copper-brown paint.

rmagnus
04-01-2015, 03:36 AM
Sounds to me like you are using too much produt and not wiping all of it off. Work small sections like one panel at a time. Use very little product, warm it up first by keeping it in th sun or a hot water bath. Again a little goes a long way.

I prefer applying by mchine as I can spread it out thinner. It's an awesome wax.

lawrenceSA
04-01-2015, 07:27 AM
I typically leave 845 on for 45 minutes before removal, but have left it OVERNIGHT and it removed just as easy.

The problem IMO is you have applied it too thick

Desertnate
04-01-2015, 07:38 AM
I concur with the theory of too much being applied.

I've left it on a car from 30 minutes to an hour before removal and never had any issues.

How are you applying the product? Are you making sure it's warmed up and properly mixed before starting? Applying it with a DA helps with ensuring you spread it out really thin. I would find it very difficult to apply the same thin even coat by hand.

Jaretr1
04-01-2015, 01:14 PM
Sounds to me as well like it was applied to thick. I have used this wax many times and it has to go on thin thin thin! In our minds, we probably say this thin, can it possibly be doing anything? But yes, and it will be fine!

More than the microscopic layer of product that is initially making contact with the surface is all wasted product, so yes, super super thin with 845.

VroomVroom
04-01-2015, 05:45 PM
Not to pile on, but definitely....too much product. "Much less than you think....seriously!" is the right amount for any LSP. You can always apply a second coat if you feel it's needed, but applying too heavy will drive you nuts. Especially in a humid climate.

Crispy
11-20-2015, 04:55 PM
I also had trouble with the how to apply thin. The wax is clear, so how do you tell if thick? A tip I picked up here is, do a test section. I put a very small dot of wax on my Applicator (yellow coating Applicator) and did half my hood going over it 2 times. I really thought I was doing most of the panel with no wax. To test if any wax remained on the Applicator I pressed it on the tinted side glass. Surprise surprise there was wax on the glass. So what I do now is apply by DA on Red foam pad and only put 3 pea size drops on the 5" pad. After I do the first panel I dap the side window to remind myself I still have ample wax to do the next panel. I've only done this about 3 times and so far ( only with Collinite 845) and 3 panels seems like the norm. I have never had a problem removing after 45 minutes (even putting on to thick) but when thin it is super easy.

Legacykid
11-20-2015, 05:29 PM
Sounds like what ive read to be "ghosting" I have had this happen on 3 darker color cars ( 2 black/1 dark green). It had happen also twice applying by hand, once by machine.

I have on most applications left the wax on for over an hour, and have never once been a problem trying to take off.

GSKR
11-20-2015, 07:46 PM
I searched and read a few posts but still no answer. I have a red Infiniti g35. Paint has been clayed, compounded and polished. Used ipa to wipe off any residue before applying 845. After applying a little 845, i wiped it off after about 20 to 30 minutes. The next morning, the car was covered by a thin haze like residue. I wiped the whole car again and residue was gone. Woke up this morning and the whole car was covered again. I really like this wax, but I always get this haze. Could anyone share some light on this problem? I'm about ready to give up on this wax and change to glasur or souveran.How did you dress the tires,with a spray or sponge.I find that sometimes when I apply aerosol dressing to tires it gets overspray and causes haze.There is a potential contamination getting mixed in with the waxing or removing process.other than that tire dressing issue I never have a promblem with it.Try to trace your steps.The other promblem could be from a applicator pad that was used to condition leather and you washed it and thought it was clean when in fact there some oily substance in it.

GSKR
11-20-2015, 07:50 PM
Sounds to me like you are using too much produt and not wiping all of it off. Work small sections like one panel at a time. Use very little product, warm it up first by keeping it in th sun or a hot water bath. Again a little goes a long way.

I prefer applying by mchine as I can spread it out thinner. It's an awesome wax.
You can put it on heavey or thin and take it off in 20 min or one day,it won't cause hazing.

Avgguy
11-21-2015, 08:06 AM
I know you said you searched but is the answer possibly here ?

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/40243-collinite-845-definitive-how-guide-legendary-wax.html