PDA

View Full Version : Duetto and the Meguiars microfiber system, new foam pads

Goleafsgo
03-29-2015, 02:45 AM
I was just wondering what speed is recommended for the Duetto with the Meguiars microfiber compound and polish. They say to use a certain OPM for best results and I'm not too sure what that would be on my Duetto

I was also wondering if the new thin 5" pads would be a good combo. I bought the Duetto with A set of Rupes pads and I ended up going back to the Meguiars microfiber pads and didn't really use it all with foam. I found the Rupes foam pads kind of difficult to use. It was like they were too stiff and I couldn't work with them. I couldn't keep them spinning either

I'm honestly considering trying a new MT300 as well. I'm not sure. I basically use a polisher once a year on my car in the spring. I just want something that is user friendly and I think the MT300 might be it

Thanks

rlmccarty2000
03-29-2015, 05:35 PM
Too bad, the Duetto is a nice tool. Maybe you could just pick up a PC. Works great with Meg's.

dlc95
03-29-2015, 07:01 PM
I believe guys like Kevin Brown, and Larry Kosilla go up to speed 6 on the Rupes tools, with Meguiar's microfiber pads.

I know Meguiar's recommends speed 4 on their machine (g110v2) when used within their Microfiber d/a Correction Kit.

This video shows Kevin Brown's technique with Megs mf pads on the Rupes 21. [ame="http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TUdnj4CVFmQ"]Best 4-Step Wet Sanding Tips: Part II. - YouTube[/video]

I haven't logged enough time with my Duetto to comment on it. I actually have been using the Rupes microfiber on my Porter Cable 7424xp, even before I picked up the Duetto.

Goleafsgo
03-31-2015, 09:49 PM
Thanks for the video link.

When I used my Duetto last year for the first time, I ended up using the microfiber pads just because they were so much easier to use. I couldn't keep the Rupes foam pads spinning but the microfiber pads kept going

dlc95
03-31-2015, 11:10 PM
Thanks for the video link.

When I used my Duetto last year for the first time, I ended up using the microfiber pads just because they were so much easier to use. I couldn't keep the Rupes foam pads spinning but the microfiber pads kept going

I wonder if Meguiar's new foam discs, or Lake Country's Hydrotech would suit you better?

Rupes says that barely any pressure is needed when polishing with their machine. Over the winter, I practiced polishing in front of a mirror, on a scrap door in the basement. It really revealed my tendencies, and allowed me to keep it on track.

ski2
04-01-2015, 06:49 AM
Scottwax over on Autopia has been using the new Megs burgandy thin pads on his Rupes 21 and he reports great results.

mg6045
04-01-2015, 07:37 AM
I dont use all of the Rupes foam pads on my Duetto for the same reason you spoke off. I do use the white pad for finishing though as its really soft and works well with a finishing polish.

The machine was night and day difference when I switched over the Buff n Shines pads. I currently use the buff n shine green pad with my duetto and it spins without issue. Same goes for the Meguiars MF cutting pad. No problem at all keeping it rotating. I will say that I did install the washer between the machine and backing plate. That made a huge noticeable difference in rotation. I suggest you do the same.

I also use the Hydrotech on my duetto with excellent results. I picked up the New Meguiars foam 5" disks in yellow (polishing) and black (finishing). they are incredibly thin and I cant see why they wont work really well. To be honest the first thing I though is that they might actually be too thin (especially the yellow polishing pad). They yellow pad is so soft that is compresses down to almost nothing with the weight of the machine. I plan on giving them a try and I will get back to you. Its my understanding that the black foam disk is a new foam composition and will not marr the paint even if used dry. I jumped on this right away.

Other tools I picked up is the MT300 and the new black 5 and 3" backing plates as well as the yellow and black 4" spot buffing Meg's pads. I intend on replacing my Griots Garage 6" with the MT300 after seeing it being demo'd . It looks to have a lot of power and rotation. I was very impressed seeing it being used.

The Guz
04-01-2015, 12:14 PM
You will like the MT300.