PDA

View Full Version : Plastic markings !?

ineedav8
03-28-2015, 06:35 PM
Hi I swapped a newer center console in my car popped the glued in coaster and all but theres still this one spot i cant even pick it off with my nail http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/03/28/31004f6b8c834cc374e21d98c5929fc9.jpg
Then theres a white marking on my passenger side mirror like its paint scuffed I've tried scrubbing with simple green waxed everything except a clay bar http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/03/28/79b482d1b6e4e3aacaafe1d75cf9079e.jpg
If anyone can lead me in the right direction for either it'd be greatly appreciated.

Sent from the future

Mask
03-29-2015, 05:22 AM
From what I experience, clay bar on rubber trim is not friendly :p
Maybe an eraser magic sponge with light pressure might help.
Follow with carpro Dlux or solution finish.

JimmyH5
03-29-2015, 06:18 AM
if you haven't gotten the glue off yet, you might try a little goof off to soften... apply with q-tip to just the glue, let it sit a couple minutes; I've found magic erasers to be like fine sandpaper and may dull the finish; as for the mark on the side mirror, have you tried rubbing alcohol on a terry cloth....

ineedav8
03-29-2015, 09:32 AM
From what I experience, clay bar on rubber trim is not friendly [emoji14]
Maybe an eraser magic sponge with light pressure might help.
Follow with carpro Dlux or solution finish.
Ah it's plastic it'll be alright lol and I've tried the magic eraser but no bueno :(

if you haven't gotten the glue off yet, you might try a little goof off to soften... apply with q-tip to just the glue, let it sit a couple minutes; I've found magic erasers to be like fine sandpaper and may dull the finish; as for the mark on the side mirror, have you tried rubbing alcohol on a terry cloth....
Haven't tried goof off yet. But magic eraser I tried and just used plastic polish on it after and still nothing. I've tried that also I'm afraid to use the harsh stuff on it and destort the finish

Sent from the future

JimmyH5
03-29-2015, 10:00 AM
My mistake... meant to say goo gone; actually, I'd be afraid of goof off... more a solvent I believe, so hope you haven't gotten it. I've found Goo Gone great for lots of things, including dried sap.

manateemark
03-29-2015, 10:05 AM
Rapid remover adhesive remover is one of the best products for removing adhesive. It's what vinyl companies use to remove residue left after removing vinyls. You can find it on amazon and will remove adhesive better than almost anything on the market.

ineedav8
03-29-2015, 10:26 AM
My mistake... meant to say goo gone; actually, I'd be afraid of goof off... more a solvent I believe, so hope you haven't gotten it. I've found Goo Gone great for lots of things, including dried sap.
Lol it's all good man I know what you mean

Rapid remover adhesive remover is one of the best products for removing adhesive. It's what vinyl companies use to remove residue left after removing vinyls. You can find it on amazon and will remove adhesive better than almost anything on the market.
I have never heard of that. Sounds kinda cool what about an eraser wheel of some sort like to remove pinstripes ?

Sent from the future

manateemark
03-29-2015, 10:43 AM
The eraser tool works good to remove the majority of the adhesive I just like rapid remover at the very end to remove any final adhesive rather than having the eraser tool running against the paint. I think the 2 work better in combination than a single one of them.

Ebg18t
03-29-2015, 12:15 PM
I have used goo gone gel for paint transfer to plastic with good results. Someone recommended wd40 to me, but never tried it since goo gone gel worked.

ineedav8
03-30-2015, 01:15 PM
I tried wd40 and a brush to try to get it out only cause i had both of them laying around still nothing gotta get goo gone or rapid adhesive remover

Sent from the future

StalkerStang
03-30-2015, 02:18 PM
Looks like a Mustang, did you swap to a 01+ console that actually has use-able cup holders? Lol the 00' and older ones are retarded, every time you shift to 2nd or 4th you bust open what ever your drinking cause they thought it was a good idea to place a cup holder right behind the shifter.

ineedav8
03-30-2015, 02:47 PM
Looks like a Mustang, did you swap to a 01+ console that actually has use-able cup holders? Lol the 00' and older ones are retarded, every time you shift to 2nd or 4th you bust open what ever your drinking cause they thought it was a good idea to place a cup holder right behind the shifter.
Maybeee lol yeah tho I found one at the local junkyard i just wanted the leather e brake boot I dont eat or drink in the stang lol
Sent from the future