PDA

View Full Version : Intro to "The System"

Pages : [1] 2

dlc95
03-28-2015, 01:11 PM
Assuming you want to start with only two elements of the system.

Blue (pad/compound) + Yellow (pad/polish)

Green (pad/compound) + White (pad/polish)

I want to start with just two elements (pad/product) out of the line up.

I was thinking the Blue / Yellow combination.

What did you guys do?

FUNX650
03-28-2015, 01:20 PM
Depends on "The System"...

Green
Adam's:
Severe Swirl Remover Polish/Severe Swirl Remover Pad

White
Adam's:
Fine Machine Polish/Fine Machine Polishing Pad

Bob

dlc95
03-28-2015, 02:07 PM
Depends on "The System"...

Green
Adam's:
Severe Swirl Remover Polish/Severe Swirl Remover Pad

White
Adam's:
Fine Machine Polish/Fine Machine Polishing Pad

Bob

Dang... I just caught that. Thanks Bob!

I'll see if I can fix that.

In the meantime, I'm referring to the RUPES system.

:dblthumb2:

ryandamartini
03-28-2015, 03:13 PM
Dang... I just caught that. Thanks Bob!

I'll see if I can fix that.

In the meantime, I'm referring to the RUPES system.

:dblthumb2:

I spent a good amount of time with Todd and co @ the Rupes booth and went to their classes as I'm on the fence about the system. I picked up the FLEX in the meantime because I need to get to work and wanted to have some capital free for more pads / product versus buying a second machine.

After abusing the Fiats hood a bit, I was *really* impressed with how well the the top end blue product/pad finished down. With how well the machines finish out, I don't know if I'd go all the way down to white.

I'd say go to yellow so you have just a bit more cut.

Blue / yellow would be my pick. Also since it has been a while since I've seen paint that is anywhere near able to be started off at a mild compound / polish to correct. Seriously what are people doing to these poor cars nowadays ?!

trekkeruss
03-28-2015, 03:16 PM
In the Rupes system, the blue pad is meant to work with the blue pad, the green with the green, and so on. I'd suggest the blue for compounding, and the yellow for polishing. But you can mix them; I'd use the blue compound with the green pad for a little less cut.

FrankS
03-28-2015, 03:32 PM
I would go with the Blue & Yellow combo to start with.

dlc95
03-28-2015, 05:44 PM
Awesome! Thanks everyone!

I have a ton of their mf pads that I use on my PC, but I'd like to try the actual liquids and foam pads on my Duetto.

rlmccarty2000
03-28-2015, 06:52 PM
I'm looking at green, yellow, white. I doubt I will use blue, but will keep it in the back of my mind if I run into real bad paint.

d33p
03-28-2015, 07:15 PM
Is the UHS system no good? Seems much easier to have one pad and one compound.

ryandamartini
03-28-2015, 07:27 PM
Is the UHS system no good? Seems much easier to have one pad and one compound.

I spoke with Todd from Rupes and the one problem with the UHS is that it doesn't play nice with soft paint like Honda and acura.

rlmccarty2000
03-28-2015, 07:42 PM
Is there any real way to tell which paints are hard, soft, medium other than experience? Every auto maker is making cars in different countries and using different methods of paint curing. And softer paints should be easier to correct, though may need it more often. I suppose Rupes is heavily in the European market with Mercedes and BMW whose paints are supposed to be hard. Pretty confusing just going by auto maker names and I believe more BMWs are now made in South Carolina than anywhere, saw something on the news stating this a few nights ago. Then we could discuss the new self healing clear coats from Nissan....

d33p
03-28-2015, 07:48 PM
I spoke with Todd from Rupes and the one problem with the UHS is that it doesn't play nice with soft paint like Honda and acura.

Interesting cause it mentions soft paint in the description. "Rupes UHS Easy Gloss Foam Pads will not haze or scour the finish, even on softer paint systems!"

RMM
03-28-2015, 08:20 PM

Interesting cause it mentions soft paint in the description. "Rupes UHS Easy Gloss Foam Pads will not haze or scour the finish, even on softer paint systems!"

The UHS system is designed for ceramic and scratch-resistant paints: usually it should not be used on intermediate paint types and it should not be used at all on soft paint.

If it says that on the description, it is wrong and should be altered.

ryandamartini
03-28-2015, 10:21 PM
Is there any real way to tell which paints are hard, soft, medium other than experience? Every auto maker is making cars in different countries and using different methods of paint curing. And softer paints should be easier to correct, though may need it more often. I suppose Rupes is heavily in the European market with Mercedes and BMW whose paints are supposed to be hard. Pretty confusing just going by auto maker names and I believe more BMWs are now made in South Carolina than anywhere, saw something on the news stating this a few nights ago. Then we could discuss the new self healing clear coats from Nissan....

Anything Honda is soft. Really besides them, I've not had a whole lot of super soft paint.

rlmccarty2000
03-29-2015, 02:04 AM
Thanks for the reply about Honda paint. I now own two Rupes machines and need to avoid soft paints. Don't really get it though, I understood the forced rotation polisher should do more damage than the Rupes or is it the polishes that are the problem? Should I change to Menzerna?