PDA

View Full Version : collinite 845. gone in 2 weeks

Pages : [1] 2 3

pman626
03-27-2015, 07:00 PM
If you had to measure wax by the teaspoon, how much 845 wax should be used on the roof of the average family sedan?

I washed the roof of my sedan with palmolive.
applied 845 on 3/13.

Hasn't been washed since 3/13.
Now it doesn't bead up.

Car is parked outside 24/7. Paint is charcoal color.

I put it on thin. hazed. wiped off.

or is the sun just too much for it?

Ebg18t
03-27-2015, 07:05 PM
My guess is the surface is dirty and not allowing the beading to occur. Wash and decontaminate it, see if it beads.

J Cole
03-27-2015, 07:17 PM

Collonite can be used very sparingly.

However - I believe that dish soaps such as palmolive leave a film on top of the paint that would have prevented the Collonite from actually making contact with the paint.

Plus it the roof might just be dirty in which case it won't bead even with Collonite, as Ebg18t said.

Dan K
03-27-2015, 07:19 PM
My guess is the surface is dirty and not allowing the beading to occur. Wash and decontaminate it, see if it beads.

I agree. It doesn't matter what wax/sealant/coating is on a surface; if it gets contaminated enough it will not bead. There is no way that 845 should be gone in a few weeks.

On another note, I cannot understand why so many people still wash with Dawn, Palmolive, etc. when there are so many car soaps available. No offense meant, but I just don't see the point, and often wonder if that doesn't cause some of the issues that people have with their lsp.

SonOfOC
03-27-2015, 07:44 PM
Was it parked under a tree and did it rain?

Meticulous-Detail
03-27-2015, 07:51 PM
If you had to measure wax by the teaspoon, how much 845 wax should be used on the roof of the average family sedan?

applied 845 on 3/13.

Now it doesn't bead up.

Car is parked outside 24/7. Paint is charcoal color.

I put it on thin. hazed. wiped off.

Dawn and palmolive can leave a film behind that could possibly affect the bonding of 845. Did you clay? If you didn't that could also affect bonding. How long did you let it set up before wiping it off? Also, like others have said dirt will also affect water beading.

RTexasF
03-27-2015, 07:53 PM
The roof is filthy. Wash it and watch the beading as you rinse it.

rlmccarty2000
03-27-2015, 07:56 PM
Turtle Wax and Palmolive work well together if mixed with one ounce of Armor All. Just kidding.

FUNX650
03-27-2015, 08:13 PM

Trying to put measuring by the teaspoon in perspective:

1. A teaspoon, in this case, will be the kitchen measuring teaspoon utensil...Not the teaspoon eating utensil.

2. Some people say that 10cc of certain liquid car-care products are enough to cover an entire sedan, its wheels (inner and outer barrels), and even its glass/P-Carb areas!

3. 10cc equals 1/3 (one-third) of an ounce.

4. 1/3oz (0.333oz) equals two kitchen measuring teaspoonsful.
Then: 1/6oz (0.1666oz) equals one kitchen measuring teaspoonful.

5. The total area of your sedan's roof is equal to approximately 12 percent of the total sedan areas
mentioned in point #2. above.

6. If ~12 percent of 10cc equals........~1.2cc
And if: ~12 percent of 0.333oz equals...~0.034oz

7. Then (if the math is pretty close)...
it should take only around:

1/5 (one fifth---0.20) of one teaspoon of liquid #845
to Wax your sedan's roof.

applied 845 on 3/13.

Now it doesn't bead up.

Car is parked outside 24/7.

It needs washed.
Wash it with a car-wash shampoo.

The Sun's UV-rays can wreak havoc on Waxes.
In two weeks? #845 should not have been
completely obliterated, IMO.

Again:
Wash the vehicle with car-wash shampoos.

Bob

zerix
03-27-2015, 10:17 PM
Pollen

pman626
03-27-2015, 10:19 PM
Pollen

Bingo.

Thanks everyone.
I didn't know dirt would prevent beading.

a few months ago, my car was kinda dirty, it rained, and the rain beaded, so I thought it was always supposed to bead.

Today, my car was covered in tree pollen, and I just wanted to rinse it all off without washing, and use leaf blower to dry.

That's when I noticed the water wasn't beading.

ski2
03-27-2015, 10:32 PM
Bob--I bet you make a mean triple layer chocolate cake!!!!

DBAILEY
03-28-2015, 02:01 AM
Bingo.

I didn't know dirt would prevent beading.

a few months ago, my car was kinda dirty, it rained, and the rain beaded, so I thought it was always supposed to bead.

The dirt breaks up the surface tension of the water bead. It gives the water stuff to hold onto and keeps the nice uniform beads from forming and rolling off the panel.

Obviously the dirtier the panel the more it will hinder the beading.

Klasse Act
03-28-2015, 10:39 AM
I agree but no need to decontaminate in that short of a time. Dirt always takes away from beading, I mean dirt is made to grow things in, not make water bead, LOL.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

HateSwirls
03-28-2015, 12:34 PM
I've never had issues with the 845 lasting, in fact it has gone through the winter on some of my customers cars.

If you really want your last step to hold up try the Duragloss 601 Bonding Agent.
You apply it to the finish but don't remove it, instead, just apply your lsp (Collinite 845) right over it.

The 601 also cleans the clear coat to make sure it's free of any oils.

Great stuff.