PDA

View Full Version : Poor results with ONR on front bumper with bugs

Pages : [1] 2

trusaleen1
03-27-2015, 12:34 PM
So I have tried Optimum No Rinse a few times and I'm not getting great results when it comes to bugs on the front bumper and anything other than a light dust on the car. I live in an area where I'm always having to clean bugs off my front windshield and front bumper. I've tried using some in a spray bottle and pretreat the area with ONR but it still doesnt really help get them off. Any tips?

ronkh57
03-27-2015, 12:36 PM
try a bug cleaner like PB Bug Squash before the wash.

ONR is a rinseless wash, not bug remover

lpklemmer
03-27-2015, 12:47 PM
A bug/tar remover or clean them off sooner.

I typically will go over my front bumper in the spring/summer months every day when I get home from work to remove the bugs before everything gets hardened and crusty. Only takes 5-10 minutes and they always wipe right off.

trusaleen1
03-27-2015, 12:48 PM
Great i'll give that a try, I've read wet dryer sheets, such as bounce can help, but I don't see how those would be safe on the paint.

rms64
03-27-2015, 12:52 PM
Great i'll give that a try, I've read wet dryer sheets, such as bounce can help, but I don't see how those would be safe on the paint.

You're correct about the dryer sheets. Don't do that. :eek:

builthatch
03-27-2015, 12:53 PM
all bugs aren't the same. what they eat, how long they are on there, what the temps are of the environment, is the sun baking them, what kind of paint protection you have, etc. all make a huge difference.

i have coated vehicles and live in an area that has a lot of beaches but also marshes and woods. a lot of our roads and highways go through these areas so thus, i collect a lot of bugs. i do not need anything more than Opti-Clean to remove these. i spray it on, let it sit for several seconds and wipe with a primed microfiber. gone.

i know i could do the same with ONR but the coating is probably the best tool since it releases stuff so well.

trusaleen1
03-27-2015, 01:03 PM
all bugs aren't the same. what they eat, how long they are on there, what the temps are of the environment, is the sun baking them, what kind of paint protection you have, etc. all make a huge difference.

i have coated vehicles and live in an area that has a lot of beaches but also marshes and woods. a lot of our roads and highways go through these areas so thus, i collect a lot of bugs. i do not need anything more than Opti-Clean to remove these. i spray it on, let it sit for several seconds and wipe with a primed microfiber. gone.

i know i could do the same with ONR but the coating is probably the best tool since it releases stuff so well.

What do you mean by coated? Like a Sealant?

CarolinasFinestDetailing
03-27-2015, 01:36 PM
What do you mean by coated? Like a Sealant?

Call it a sealant on steroids.

Pre-soaking bugs with ONR works great if your car is coated or freshly waxed/sealed OP. Other than that, need something a bit stronger. As builthatch brought up, there are many variables.

FocusSTguy
03-27-2015, 02:14 PM
I'm a fan of the bug sponge (http://http://www.autogeek.net/best-bug-sponge.html). I haven't tried it yet with a rinseless wash but don't see why it wouldn't work.

Bunky
03-28-2015, 05:25 AM
try a bug cleaner like PB Bug Squash before the wash.

Agree. Bug Squash at 1:3 dilution is considered LSP safe.

I would do this step last since I would use the ONR solution as the rinse agent if you put your wash media back into the bucket to prevent contamination.

It is a good pre-clean step with a traditional soap to get bugs off bump or crud off the lower rockers, etc. I am surprised other product makers do not market a product for a similar purpose.

rajon
03-28-2015, 07:21 AM
If you were heading camping through 530ish miles of National Forest would you carry a rinseless to get the bugs off of a DD before letting the car sit for a week?

FUNX650
03-28-2015, 08:10 AM
If you were heading camping through 530ish miles of National Forest would you carry a rinseless to get the bugs off of a DD before letting the car sit for a week?
I would.

Bob

conman1395
03-28-2015, 11:33 AM
Or a waterless wash.

tenblade2001
03-28-2015, 12:41 PM
+1 for bug sponge

Ncs0816
03-28-2015, 08:28 PM
You need a heavier cleaner

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk