PDA

View Full Version : Meguiars Steps-Advice Needed

Pages : [1] 2

Zubair
03-27-2015, 09:52 AM
I found a really cool article 10 years ago where Mike Phillips gave a phenomenal response which prompted me to use the Megs products on a simple clean up I'm doing soon on a Nissan pickup 4x4. The car in question was already done by myself 9 months ago using Megs Ultimate Compound, Menzerna PF2500, Powerlock and Collinite 845. It was only washed 3 times in 9 months and still looks good. I plan on using Meguiars Deep Crystal Polish(consumer version of M#7 glaze pure polish), A12 Cleaner Wax and finish with Ultimate Liquid Wax. My dilemma is do I use the Deep Crystal Polish first and the Cleaner Wax after or the other way around before topping with Ultimate Wax? All will be done by hand and just a simple gloss/cleanup is required.

Steps:

1.Wash with either Optimum Car Wash/Maxi Suds II/ Megs Gold Class shampoo and clay after.
2.Cleaner Wax
3.Deep Crystal Polish(purely for added gloss and polishing oils)
4.Seal with Ultimate Liquid Wax

Just confused about steps 2 and 3, not sure which first. I assume the cleaner wax after the polish would remove the polish? Reason for the cleaner wax step is on a test spot it cleaned up some marks quite nicely not needing anything stronger.

FUNX650
03-27-2015, 10:02 AM
IMO:
•For the best results follow the steps...
-Just exactly as you have listed.

•If a Cleaner-Wax can clean up some marks quite nicely:
-It would make mince-meat out of a M07-type pure polish!

Bob

Zubair
03-27-2015, 10:08 AM
IMO:
•For the best results follow the steps...
-Just exactly as you have listed.

•If a Cleaner-Wax can clean up some marks quite nicely:
-It would make mince-meat out of a M07-type pure polish!

Bob

Would the pure polish step add anything over and above the cleaner wax in gloss or you think its recommended to skip it and go straight to the lsp?

I find the cleaner wax to be very glaze like too in filling and shine, considering it also contains alot of Meguiars trade secret polishing/conditioning oils that are found in the said polish too.

FUNX650
03-27-2015, 10:21 AM
Would the pure polish step add anything over and above the cleaner wax in gloss or you think its recommended to skip it and go straight to the lsp?

I find the cleaner wax to be very glaze like too in filling and shine, considering it also contains alot of Meguiars trade secret polishing/conditioning oils that are found in the said polish too.
AHA...
So now you're wanting to make it more difficult, I see. :laughing:

IMO:
Although an AIO like Meguiar's A12 has been one of my favorites over the years, it still does not leave behind as much in the way that a dedicated LSP should.

With that being said:
Neither will a "pure polish", a la: DCP/M07

:idea:
After the A12 step...
try a "test spot" with DCP (perhaps apply some ULW, too)
Your "eye of the beholder" will be the deciding factor at that point.

Bob

Zubair
03-27-2015, 10:30 AM
For those interested, this is the article I mentioned, cleared alot up for me and made for interesting reading:

Questions about #7 Glaze and GC Wax (http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?6945-Questions-about-7-Glaze-and-GC-Wax)

trekkeruss
03-27-2015, 11:41 AM
Steps:

1.Wash with either Optimum Car Wash/Maxi Suds II/ Megs Gold Class shampoo and clay after.
2.Cleaner Wax
3.Deep Crystal Polish(purely for added gloss and polishing oils)
4.Seal with Ultimate Liquid Wax

Just confused about steps 2 and 3, not sure which first. I assume the cleaner wax after the polish would remove the polish?

It doesn't make sense to me. Since Deep Crystal Polish is a pure polish with no abrasives whatsoever, how does that work when you put it over the top of the wax in the Cleaner Wax?

The Guz
03-27-2015, 11:56 AM
Menzerna PF2500, Powerlock and Collinite 845.

Why not do this instead. You can use ultimate wax if you want to try something new or use one of those LSP's you already have listed. You will get better correction.

There will be no added benefit in using the polish. That is just my opinion. If you are looking to do a quick detail then do the following.

Wash
Clay
Cleaner Wax
Ultimate wax

Zubair
03-27-2015, 11:59 AM
Why not do this instead. You can use ultimate wax if you want to try something new or use one of those LSP's you already have listed. You will get better correction.

There will be no added benefit in using the polish. That is just my opinion. If you are looking to do a quick detail then do the following.

Wash
Clay
Cleaner Wax
Ultimate wax

So you saying the added polishing oils wont add anything over and above the shine achieved from cleaner wax?

Ultimate wax is used as it has longer durability over cleaner wax alone and it can seal in the polish- my reasoning.
PF2500 not needed as paint was corrected as previously mentioned. This is just a gloss enhancing clean up.

Mask
03-27-2015, 12:07 PM
I would:

Wash
Clay
Meg ultimate polish
Meg ultimate wax

Regards

Zubair
03-27-2015, 12:31 PM
Okay let me try and rephrase so as to be clearer. PF2500 has a cut of 5, Ultimate Polish has a cut of 2. Neither is required as the paint doesnt need cutting as its been done months ago already. I would like to use my stash of mentioned Megs products to amp up the gloss.

Should I go straight to ultimate wax after cleaner wax or will the effort of deep crystal polish be noticeable if included between steps?

FUNX650
03-27-2015, 12:55 PM
Okay let me try and rephrase so as to be clearer.

Should I go straight to ultimate wax after cleaner wax or will the effort of deep crystal polish be noticeable if included between steps?
FWIW...
Again, IMO:

:idea:
After the A12 step...
try a "test spot" with DCP (perhaps apply some ULW, too)
Your "eye of the beholder" will be the deciding factor at that point.

Bob

trekkeruss
03-27-2015, 12:58 PM
Should I go straight to ultimate wax after cleaner wax

I guess if you want an extra layer of wax (or in this case, sealant). But you should allow the Cleaner Wax to cure before applying the Ultimate Wax.

will the effort of deep crystal polish be noticeable if included between steps?

I guess it might if it fills in any defects the Cleaner Wax couldn't/didn't remove.

dlc95
03-27-2015, 01:26 PM
Okay let me try and rephrase so as to be clearer. PF2500 has a cut of 5, Ultimate Polish has a cut of 2. Neither is required as the paint doesnt need cutting as its been done months ago already. I would like to use my stash of mentioned Megs products to amp up the gloss.

You shouldn't need the DC polish. Ultimate Wax is designated by meguiar's as a polish/wax. Polish in this case "glaze", meaning there are no abrasives, but there are fillers / masking / shining agents formulated into the product in addition to the protective qualities Ultimate Wax is known for. It should be able to sufficiently provide the results you are looking for after using Cleaner Wax, without the need for the additional polishing step.

Zubair
03-27-2015, 01:50 PM
You shouldn't need the DC polish. Ultimate Wax is designated by meguiar's as a polish/wax. Polish in this case "glaze", meaning there are no abrasives, but there are fillers / masking / shining agents formulated into the product in addition to the protective qualities Ultimate Wax is known for. It should be able to sufficiently provide the results you are looking for after using Cleaner Wax, without the need for the additional polishing step.

I didn't know this, so ultimate wax also has slight cleaning ability and polishing oils? Interesting indeed

FUNX650
03-27-2015, 01:55 PM
I guess if you want an extra layer of wax (or in this case, sealant). But you should allow the Cleaner Wax to cure before applying the Ultimate Wax.

the protective qualities Ultimate Wax...

It should be able to sufficiently provide the results you are looking for after using Cleaner Wax.
The more I think about it...
Applying a Sealant (ULW) on top of a Wax-product?
[To quote, in part]:

It doesn't make sense...

how does that work when you put it over the top of the wax in the Cleaner Wax?

Then again...
Maybe all of the Meguiar's products currently being discussed in this thread are so synergistically formulated that the car-care deities can hardly hold back their exuberance.

{UH OH: There's that word uber again...strange(?)}

Bob