PDA

View Full Version : Coatings: too many to choose from!

Pages : [1] 2 3

Krwtek1
03-26-2015, 09:47 AM
Looking into switching to a coating for my dd truck. Seems like everyone is offering coatings now. I have been using the WG twins and WGDGS for my lsp. Suggestions on a coating for a first timer? Ease of use and durability is what im looking for.

Evan.J
03-26-2015, 10:00 AM
Optimum Gloss coat
Cquartz UK
Pinnacle Black Label
DP Coating
BlackFire Coating

Those are all very user friendly

WRAPT C5Z06
03-26-2015, 10:00 AM
Ease of use and durability is what im looking for.
Optimum Gloss Coat.

silverfox
03-26-2015, 10:52 AM
Whichever one you choose, the most important thing is PREP work. You can no longer have the "wax/sealant" mentality once you step up to coatings. They are very unforgiving if you do not properly prepare the paint. If the manufacturer offers a coating "prep polish/product", buy that as well. Some will say just use IPA prior to coating application, but IPA will dull the paint if its too strong, or if you have applied it several times during the prep process. I would not put anything on that potentially dulls the paint because once you do all that polishing and buffing and the paint is squeaky clean and gloss off the wall...why would do anything to step the process backward? Just my 2 cents.

03-26-2015, 11:27 AM
Whichever one you choose, the most important thing is PREP work. You can no longer have the "wax/sealant" mentality once you step up to coatings. They are very unforgiving if you do not properly prepare the paint. If the manufacturer offers a coating "prep polish/product", buy that as well. Some will say just use IPA prior to coating application, but IPA will dull the paint if its too strong, or if you have applied it several times during the prep process. I would not put anything on that potentially dulls the paint because once you do all that polishing and buffing and the paint is squeaky clean and gloss off the wall...why would do anything to step the process backward? Just my 2 cents.

Great info :dblthumb2:

FUNX650
03-26-2015, 11:29 AM
I realize that many LSP products have a "petroleum smell":
kind of old-schoolish, some may even say...

But why do so many of these "Modern/Hi-Tech"-'Coatings',
seemingly so, have to emit that pungent fog-of-funk...
an aroma like the cat p!$$€d in the Hawaiian Punch!

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/image1154.jpg (http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/92804)

Bob

Charleston
03-26-2015, 12:33 PM
I have done Opticoat in the past (my first experience and loved it)

I did just order the Blackfire Coating, purely based on price and amount of product.

Krwtek1
03-26-2015, 12:56 PM
Shouldnt be any issues with achieving a flaw free finish before application. Which brings up a question. Would i be better staying with a sealant since it is a daily driven vehicle? As of now i simply polish out defects and seal the paint several times a year. it is my understanding that once coated defects cannot simply be polished out. The coating must be removed. Defect corrected and coating re applied. Is this correct? If needed how is the coating removed?
Im starting to think i should stay with my current products.

Charleston
03-26-2015, 01:01 PM
Shouldnt be any issues with achieving a flaw free finish before application. Which brings up a question. Would i be better staying with a sealant since it is a daily driven vehicle? As of now i simply polish out defects and seal the paint several times a year. it is my understanding that once coated defects cannot simply be polished out. The coating must be removed. Defect corrected and coating re applied. Is this correct? If needed how is the coating removed?
Im starting to think i should stay with my current products.

I feel that SINCE it is a DD, a coating is a better choice.

The sacrificial barrier it creates is much stronger than that of a sealant.

Coating is removed in the same manner you remove defects, light polishing. The great thing about a coating is that when you want to remove the defects, you usually can lightly remove the coating therefore saving CC.

silverfox
03-26-2015, 01:05 PM
Coatings are perfect for DD...in fact its the garage queens and show cars that are better suited for wax or sealants.

03-26-2015, 01:08 PM
Best thing I could have done to my DD was coat it!

Odisious
03-26-2015, 01:14 PM
Yep, I was looking at my coated DD today while looking at my sealed truck...car was coated in December, with washed using duragloss shampoo and once in a while I'd put down some BFCS of WGDGLS...I look at my truck which has been waxed and sealed about 6 times within that span and my car looks amazing, and now I am in the process of throwing a seal of DG followed by collinite 845...and then I will put 476 when it arrives because I'm tired of keeping up with it. I look forward to coating...other people say, "But I like to wax my car." I get that, but why not throw down a coating and then put wax on it. I've always been about protection more than looks though.
I do recommend DP Paint coating, because of price...I'd say go BF also, because right now it's the same price.

builthatch
03-26-2015, 01:18 PM
Best thing I could have done to my DD was coat it!

yep

WRAPT C5Z06
03-26-2015, 01:49 PM
The blackfire quartz based coating looks interesting.

Krwtek1
03-26-2015, 02:15 PM
Ok. So coating it is. Im thinking about ordering the new blackfire crystal coat kit. It comes with everything i should need for application. If not the CQUK looks promising and has great reviews. How much should i need for my truck? Its a full size crew cab with a cap. About the same real estate as a new suburban.