PDA

View Full Version : What equipment/product for a noob?

Ecko
03-25-2015, 05:18 PM
I'm ready to make my first purchase to get started detailing. I have a tuxedo black 2013 Ford Fusion. My car has a lot of swirls and light scratches from going to the car wash. I will be practicing first on some older cars (99 Focus and then a 09 Focus).

1. Not looking to spend big on a Flex quite yet. It looks like the two main ones are Griots Garage or a Porter Cable 7424XP. I am leaning towards the Griots.

2. What products do I need to clean the car thoroughly, remove the light scratches and swirls and then make it shine? Like a good wash soap, which clay and clay lube to use, which wax?

3. Any other advice and recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

wdmaccord
03-25-2015, 05:29 PM
1. Go with the Griot's 6".

2. I started with Megs Ultimate Compound and M205 as my 2 step products. Both very user friendly to learn with.

To prep for a detail (decon) I like:
-CG Citrus Wash Red in a foamer (I like to mix 4 oz. CGCWRed + 4 oz. Megs APC + 24 oz. water in my foamer and set to the middle dilution setting on the stem)
-Pinnacle Ultra Poly Clay (or choose a synthetic like nanoskin)
-IronX
-TarX

for clay lube, you can use a couple drops of Dawn in a 32 oz. spray bottle if you want. I use my BF rinseless wash diluted per the manufacturer for clay lube purposes.

Buy a gallon of the APC, you can dilute a few different ways to tackle pretty much all the other duties you need a good cleaner for.

Then you have to decide on sealant or coating. Lots to choose from. I like Blackfire Wet Diamond and Crystal Seal for the summer and Collinite 845 for the winter.

My 2 cents.

Ecko
03-26-2015, 06:20 PM
Thanks for the advice I appreciate it. Man all that stuff adds up quick in the shopping cart.

I'm not really sure on the order to use all those products, would you mind giving me a step by step in order?

ryandamartini
03-26-2015, 07:25 PM
Thanks for the advice I appreciate it. Man all that stuff adds up quick in the shopping cart.

I'm not really sure on the order to use all those products, would you mind giving me a step by step in order?

Wash -> Clay -> Polish -> Wax :)

DaveT435
03-26-2015, 07:45 PM
I would go with the Griot's. Iron X, clay or clay substitute, clay lube. LC flat pads. 3 yellow, 4 white, 3 black. Pad cleaner, pad brush. Menzerna FG 400, Optimum Hyper Polish. Two buckets with grit guards. Plenty of quality microfiber towels. LSP of your choice. Fender brush, tire brush, wheel brush. I'm sure I'n forgetting something lol

custmsprty
03-26-2015, 07:52 PM
This would be a great starter kit:

Griot’s Garage & Meguiar’s Paint Perfection Kit (http://www.autogeek.net/griots-garage-paint-perfection-kit.html)

Ecko
03-29-2015, 07:55 PM
So this is what I am going to start with. I already have Meguiars Ultimate compound and M205

Griots Garage 6 Inch Random Orbital Polisher
Nanoskin AutoScrub Fine Grade Wash Mitt
Lake Country 6.5 Inch CCS Pads 6 Pack (2 Orange, 2 White, 2 Gray)
BLACKFIRE Advanced Pad Cleaner
Foam Pad Conditioning Brush
The Guzzler Waffle Weave by Cobra 16 x 24
Black Onyx Micro-Chenille Wash Mitt

I also have a CG foam cannon on the way and will be buying a pressure washer this week.

Is this a good start or am I missing some necessities?

ihaveacamaro
03-29-2015, 08:04 PM
don't get the wash mitt, get the nanoskin towel or the sponge, you won't be able to clay in small areas like under the door hand with the wash mitt.

Switch to 3 orange and 3 white, no need for gray

did you decide on a soap or wax? Don't see one there

dlc95
03-29-2015, 08:14 PM
Lots of guys like the 5.5" pads. They work great on that type of machine.

FocusSTguy
03-29-2015, 08:49 PM
So this is what I am going to start with. I already have Meguiars Ultimate compound and M205

Griots Garage 6 Inch Random Orbital Polisher
Nanoskin AutoScrub Fine Grade Wash Mitt
Lake Country 6.5 Inch CCS Pads 6 Pack (2 Orange, 2 White, 2 Gray)
BLACKFIRE Advanced Pad Cleaner
Foam Pad Conditioning Brush
The Guzzler Waffle Weave by Cobra 16 x 24
Black Onyx Micro-Chenille Wash Mitt

I also have a CG foam cannon on the way and will be buying a pressure washer this week.

Is this a good start or am I missing some necessities?

I like the Griots and would recommend going down to a 5" backing plate and 5.5 pads. Better correction ability and will work better on curved and tight areas. You could also get a 3" backing plate and 4" pads for smaller areas.

dsg03gt
03-29-2015, 08:53 PM
I would also go with the 5.5" pads and skip the gray. I have the nano skin wash mitt and like it a lot, much better than traditional clay.

Ecko
03-30-2015, 06:40 AM
don't get the wash mitt, get the nanoskin towel or the sponge, you won't be able to clay in small areas like under the door hand with the wash mitt.

Switch to 3 orange and 3 white, no need for gray

did you decide on a soap or wax? Don't see one there

The CG foam cannon comes with three different soaps.

As for the wax I am still trying to figure out the different products and order to use them. Like waxes, polishes and sealers. It gets a little overwhelming trying to figure out what is needed and which ones to get with so many choices.

ski2
03-30-2015, 07:24 AM
I second the recommendations to go with a 5" backing plate and 5.5" pads on the Griots. What you spend on the backing plate you'll save on the cost of the pads and it will be more effective and easier to use. Here's a link to an article from Mike Phillips about how many pads you should get--http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/88109-how-many-pads-do-i-need-buff-out-my-car.html

You don't really need to get a foam cannon or gun. Just give the car a good strong wash with the CG Red to start out. Then do your claying, then polish, then apply your LSP either wax or sealant. NOTE: if you're going to use 205 make sure you wipe the car down well with IPA or Eraser before applying your LSP as 205 leaves behind allot of polishing oils which can interfer with your LSP bonding to the paint.

Here are a ton of threads by Mike that will help you out--just read the ones that apply to you and watch some of the videos. Read the ones about how to remove swirls and trouble shooting polishing and how to clean your pad on the fly. Also, how to do a test spot. http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/23722-car-detailing-articles-mike-phillips.html

You want tho use the least aggressive method to polish your paint and you can't do that without a test spot. Since you're just starting out you might want to keep it simple with a one step product like HD Adapt which is really easy to work with.

ski2
03-30-2015, 03:48 PM
Totally forgot AG was now carrying Buff & Shine 5.5" flat pads. Great pads--very durable and the recessed Velcro is a nice margin of safety when polishing around protruding objects like mirrors etc. Their 5" backing plate is reasonably priced also.

Paul A.
03-30-2015, 03:55 PM
Lots of good info so far and i will add my new favorite wash soap...Duragloss 901/902.

I also agree with going smaller diameter on the pads to a 5.5".