PDA

View Full Version : Help Needed

b1gwheel
03-25-2015, 05:16 PM
Hello fellow car enthusiasts. Recently retired from the Army and absolutely love to see people take the time and detail their cars. Nothing like a clean car...inside and out, with panache'!

1. I am soliciting help to renew the black paint on a 15 year old vehicle that has not been garage kept for the last few years. The paint is dull, but does not have any clear coat damage.

2. My second vehicle is 8 years old and is also black (black is my preferred color, if you haven't noticed). It has been garage kept and has swirls which I would like to remove. I've used Zaino products in the past, however, it has been several years.

Any product recommendations will be greatly appreciated. I only own a orbital buffer. Looking to purchase a polisher sometime in the future.

Thanks in advance!

irvsmith
03-25-2015, 06:20 PM
Welcome to the forum and thank you for your service. I think the best approach is to work on developing a good wash/dry method and then explore the product lines for protection/shine. In terms of paint correction I believe a good starting point is the Griot's Garage 6" DA. Lifetime warranty, good customer service, and generally well made tool. Should you fine you want to really step up the level you could explore a Flex or Rupe's polishers but I think it makes sense to see what your interest level is before diving into such an expensive but good quality tool.

AG has a number of videos under "Detailing How-Tos" and I like the AMMONYC series from Larry Kosilla. I use his products and find his techniques to have produced great results on my two black vehicles as well.

In any case feel free to post questions/concerns you have as you go on this lovely road called detailing.

David