PDA

View Full Version : Mothers California Gold Pure Carnauba Paste Wax

Pages : [1] 2

Zubair
03-25-2015, 09:38 AM
Anyone have any experience with this as far as looks,durability,ease of use? Also what can it be compared to, Meguiars #26 Hi-Tech yellow paste wax?

Mothers California Gold Pure Carnauba Paste Wax 12 oz. (http://www.autogeek.net/mo5550.html)

Odisious
03-25-2015, 10:15 AM
I used this once over a coat of Klasse DGS (I've since moved on from) just to see what the carnauba would do to appearance...(turned out I liked the sealant look better anyway). The durability was roughly 3 weeks for a DD that was not garaged. It didn't wear evenly, some panels lost it sooner, especially the sun beaten ones. It melted off fairly quickly, but the appearance was very nice. I think it was an extremely close comparison to Megs Carnauba Plus. Only difference was the Mother's had no polymers or cleaners in it. Very similar appearance and durability. I used it once and gave the rest to my father. It is pure C. so there's elbow grease to be used (if not using DA which I didn't have mine at time of use) and for length of longevity, I'd just as soon use some Collinite 845 which gives an even better appearance. I don't detail for a living, it's just a hobby. **All of this is just opinion and preference, I didn't say a word about coatings!.**

FUNX650
03-25-2015, 10:16 AM
Also what can it be compared to, Meguiars #26 Hi-Tech yellow paste wax?

IMO: No...Not really.

For one thing:
•M26's D.O.I. "Rules the Roost!!"

Also...a couple other differences:
•It's highly unlikely that M26 contains any:
-Turpentine, CAS# 008006-64-2

•It's highly unlikely that Mother's California Gold Pure Carnauba Paste Wax contains any of:
-Meguiar's "Trade Secret" Conditioners.

Bob

Bunky
03-25-2015, 10:34 AM
I like Mothers paste wax durable with a nice look. You just need to apply thinly and evenly for ease of removal after it hazes.

Zubair
03-25-2015, 12:28 PM
Very good replies by all think I will give it a skip and buy another wax that catches my eye, very addictive hobby.

pld
03-25-2015, 05:14 PM
Very good replies by all think I will give it a skip and buy another wax that catches my eye, very addictive hobby.
I thought you were sold on Collinite 915?

Zubair
03-25-2015, 05:26 PM
I thought you were sold on Collinite 915?

Absolutely sold on 915 but I also have 20 other lsp's and try not to use the ones I love on everyone elses cars. I use CGXXX,Petes's 53 and 915 on my "special" cars if that makes any sense.

pld
03-25-2015, 06:07 PM
Absolutely sold on 915 but I also have 20 other lsp's and try not to use the ones I love on everyone elses cars. I use CGXXX,Petes's 53 and 915 on my "special" cars if that makes any sense.
You sold me on 915 and now have all 3 of the Collinite waxes.:xyxthumbs:

expdetailing
03-25-2015, 06:24 PM
The Mother's wax you speak of, I've used before. I only used it once; here's why:
1: Shine was okay, not outstanding.
2: I noticed how much dust was on my van just days later. I believe the wax attracts/holds on to dust.
3: The wax dusted a bit upon removal.
4: The wax is oily, pink, and smells like a urinal cake.
5: I have other waxes in my collection that are far better.

dlc95
03-25-2015, 06:31 PM
I've had the same tin since the late 90's. I believe that statement might speak for itself. If not, I pass it over for M26, or Zymol Carbon. I even like the Surf City past wax over the Mother's.

expdetailing
03-25-2015, 07:30 PM
UPDATE: I made an error. My first post described Mother's Cleaner Wax, not the wax questioned by the OP.

Ccrew
03-25-2015, 08:34 PM
4: The wax is oily, pink, and smells like a urinal cake.

I think someone may have swapped it for a urinal cake when you weren't looking.

Mine's yellow, certainly less fluid/oily than my P21S and smells vaguely like coconut... kinds sunscreenish.

swanicyouth
03-25-2015, 08:50 PM
Save yr $$$.

Buy a tin of S100 if yr looking to not spend a lot.

mwoolfso
03-26-2015, 04:09 PM
I have it and I like it. It is a pure carnauba wax so it will attract dust. Timing being everything - not really smart to use this during pollen season. ;-)

I will use it to top over a sealant to get some additional depth. I don't spend a lot of time thinking about durability since it does not stand on its own in my processes.

Zubair
03-26-2015, 04:40 PM
Amazon has it for like $8 so maybe worth a shot!