PDA

View Full Version : Sealant vs Coating Question

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

AMarkham40
03-24-2015, 12:32 PM
I've been detailing my personal vehicles & some friends vehicles for several years now. I've always used a sealant (Four Star UPP) with great results. I'm hearing more & more about people using coatings. I don't know anybody personally that has used them nor have I seen a car with it applied. My bottle of Four Star UPP has lasted me for several years & it's still over a quarter full. These coatings come in an extremely small bottle for a big price. My question is, is a coating worth it for a daily driven vehicle compared to a sealant applied twice a year?

silverfox
03-24-2015, 12:47 PM
I heard this analogy from Renny Doyle. He's right on point. Take two popsicle sticks. Place one in a Dixie cup fixed with 30ml of any good coating. Take the other and place it in a Dixie cup of the same 30ml of a sealant or wax. Allow both to dry for three days. Pull the popsicle stick out of the cup of coating. You will have a Plexiglas lollipop. That's what's on your car. Pull the popsicle stick out of the sealant or wax. You'll have a smeared, messy popsicle stick. Which would you want protecting your paint? Yes, I've tried it. Its a great selling prop to show prospective clients.

trekkeruss
03-24-2015, 01:27 PM
I heard this analogy from Renny Doyle.

Interesting.

I'm far from any kind of expert, but years ago I used to use wax. Then when I came back to detailing, I switched to a sealant. Last month I made the move to a coating. I guess I don't really see a difference in looks. Admittedly, I have not compared side-by-side. Regardless, they all resulted in shiny paint...but the shininess came from polishing, not the LSP, right?

I have no idea how long the coating...in my case CQuartz UK...will last. I feel like my vehicle's paint is better protected, and a lot of detailing is not just about appearance, but the enjoyment of the process. I enjoyed applying a coating, so it was at least worth it to me from that perspective.

FUNX650
03-24-2015, 01:32 PM
Are 'Coatings' worth it?

IMHO:
Only if a person chooses those that they can adroitly
fit into their schedule. All the while: adhering to the
chosen Coatings' total-cure-times...per:
The manufacturers' recommended time-frames.

Bob

Desertnate
03-24-2015, 01:40 PM
My question is, is a coating worth it for a daily driven vehicle compared to a sealant applied twice a year?

This is an internal debate I'm having as well. The biggest of which is cost.

Today, I have have no issues applying a LSP twice a year. There are great economical products which easily last six months and the containers of product last a long time. I've been trying to find the bottom of a Klasse SG bottle for 9 years and a bottle of 845 going on two years now. I paid less that $25 per bottle in both cases. From what I'm seeing bottles of the more hobbyist friendly coatings run around $50 and you only get 3~4 applications. The costs go up higher when you also include the surface prep products

Reducing my LSP applications to once a year is appealing, but I don't see any other benefit, which makes it hard to justify the cost.

Despite all I said above, the coatings by DP and Blackfire catch my eye whenever I'm in the AG store these days. Maybe it's simply the call of trying out something new...

Odisious
03-24-2015, 01:41 PM
Yeah, coatings are great in my opinion, just a heads up that beading and sheeting perform poorly in regards to coatings (much of the time). Here's the thing...WHO CARES! Your car will look dipped in glass, and it will clean better than ANY other sealant you have ever used. Tar literally wipes off with a single wipe of your wash item of choice.
There are many people here that think that because the coating beads and sheets poorly that it's gone or not present on the paint. You'd need a depth mic. to prove that though. My vehicle beads and sheets terribly, but it's protected like crazy and cleans so well. Just be ready for the possibility of poor beading and sheeting. If those are important to you, you may want to stick to sealants. Don't forget about the grossly inappropriate amount of prep work, and the attraction of squirrels that begin to run out to the roadways and bow before your car. :props:

Kamakaz1961
03-24-2015, 01:46 PM
I am not a coating person and never will. Do I think a coating is great...probably. Is it better than sealant/wax....maybe but I will never know and care not to find out. I enjoy taking care of my ride by detailing my car on a bi-weekly basis at least.

The fun of detailing is my therapy.

Now I think a person that wants to do little maintenance on their ride, a coating would fit them. IMO there is NOTHING wrong with either way. It is just a matter of preference.

I am still old school (and bald to boot) and I think (again my opinion) nothing beats the wet look, warmth and depth of a good quality wax. Not a sealant and not a coating (seen many).

My routine is a sealant and then a wax. Additionally, I have seen too many issues with coatings on the AGO threads about quality control issues. Just look at all the threads of a coating and see what I mean.

How many issues do you see with a sealant/wax? I know there will be some but significantly less than a coating.

Again, IMHO.

:buffing:

ForceofWill
03-24-2015, 01:46 PM
I still prefer sealants. It's going to depend on how often you feel the need to polish the car.

My cars are drivers and regardless of how safe I wash, I always need to polish them more often than the longevity of a coating. So it's not worth it to me in cost or PITA to apply.

Salt, ice, people touching my car etc.. all make marks and light scratches I have to polish out. My go to is my sealant.

ForceofWill
03-24-2015, 01:47 PM
Yeah, coatings are great in my opinion, just a heads up that beading and sheeting perform poorly in regards to coatings (much of the time). Here's the thing...WHO CARES! Your car will look dipped in glass, and it will clean better than ANY other sealant you have ever used. Tar literally wipes off with a single wipe of your wash item of choice.
There are many people here that think that because the coating beads and sheets poorly that it's gone or not present on the paint. You'd need a depth mic. to prove that though. My vehicle beads and sheets terribly, but it's protected like crazy and cleans so well. Just be ready for the possibility of poor beading and sheeting. If those are important to you, you may want to stick to sealants. Don't forget about the grossly inappropriate amount of prep work, and the attraction of squirrels that begin to run out to the roadways and bow before your car. :props:

This is subjective and a personal opinion at best. I don't like the glass/mirror look, I want the depth I get with wax and the coatings I've tried do not out perform my sealant.

Odisious
03-24-2015, 02:03 PM
This is subjective and a personal opinion at best. I don't like the glass/mirror look, I want the depth I get with wax and the coatings I've tried do not out perform my sealant.

Sorry, I was wrong, strike what I said from that post. Again, I apologize.

HUMP DIESEL
03-24-2015, 02:08 PM
You guys need to step up to some premium coatings if they are not outperforming sealants. CarPro's UK is one that you can get here and apply yourself, or you can step up and have a pro installer apply Finest or go even higher and get Modesta installed on your vehicle. No wax or sealant is going to be as thick as a coating. As far as a coating beading or sheeting, not sure which one Odisius is using, but all of the coatings I have applied will not hold water.
For a daily driver, I wouldn't hesitate to apply a coating, I would even strongly recommend it. For a museum car?? Maybe not.

HUMP

Zubair
03-24-2015, 02:30 PM
I am not a coating person and never will. Do I think a coating is great...probably. Is it better than sealant/wax....maybe but I will never know and care not to find out. I enjoy taking care of my ride by detailing my car on a bi-weekly basis at least.

The fun of detailing is my therapy.

Now I think a person that wants to do little maintenance on their ride, a coating would fit them. IMO there is NOTHING wrong with either way. It is just a matter of preference.

I am still old school (and bald to boot) and I think (again my opinion) nothing beats the wet look, warmth and depth of a good quality wax. Not a sealant and not a coating (seen many).

My routine is a sealant and then a wax. Additionally, I have seen too many issues with coatings on the AGO threads about quality control issues. Just look at all the threads of a coating and see what I mean.

How many issues do you see with a sealant/wax? I know there will be some but significantly less than a coating.

Again, IMHO.

:buffing:

:iagree:

Nothing beats applying a wax to a car, no coating or sealant comes even close to the looks of a carnauba paste wax. Who doesn't want a deep, wet look? If you didnt you wouldn't be on this forum.

Odisious
03-24-2015, 02:30 PM
You guys need to step up to some premium coatings if they are not outperforming sealants. CarPro's UK is one that you can get here and apply yourself, or you can step up and have a pro installer apply Finest or go even higher and get Modesta installed on your vehicle. No wax or sealant is going to be as thick as a coating. As far as a coating beading or sheeting, not sure which one Odisius is using, but all of the coatings I have applied will not hold water.
For a daily driver, I wouldn't hesitate to apply a coating, I would even strongly recommend it. For a museum car?? Maybe not.

HUMP

The problem that I run into across the forum is that people that have never used a coating will bash them. I know that's common place when new things come into play in any category of life, but the reason I wrote an apology for my last post, was because it's not worth the argument. I have no right to say a sealant or a wax is better than a coating if I have never used one. That's like saying that black tea is better than green tea when you've never tried the green tea. I don't get it!

builthatch
03-24-2015, 02:32 PM
welcome to forums in general, haha

ForceofWill
03-24-2015, 02:40 PM
Its gonna be a pro/con thing like anythIng else, people saying coatings are hands down the way to go are full of it. If you like your coating then fine but there's too much, "get the coating bro its amazing" without any other talk about it.

Ive stated reasons why I choose what I do. I wasnt trying to start an arguement Odis and I dont need an apology there are just two sides to stuff like this.

My last coating was nice but it wasnt appreciably better than my sealant to warrant the extra cost and work to put it on when Im personally never going to see the advertised durability out of it.