PDA

View Full Version : Paint Chip Repair

98LowRanger
03-24-2015, 01:42 AM
I have had a lot of interest lately for paint chip repairs and am pretty confident in my technique, but I have a few other questions concerning this topic.

1) Where do you guys get your touch up paint?? I want to steer clear of Dr. Color Chip because I have heard a lot of negative things. I would just like to get regular base coat clear paint. I don't want to order OEM touch up paint because lately the customers inquiring about it have vehicles that are more then 5 years old. Of course there is going to be some paint fading and I want to be able to get it to match as close as I can. I know my local O'Reilly Auto Parts store can match paint (well as best they can) and sell a half pint for around $20.

2) Do you guys get a base coat clear paint or use a base coat paint and then apply a clear separately?

3) What do you guys typically charge for a paint chip repair service? For just a few (say 5 or less) paint chips I was figuring to charge around $45. I would typically have about $35 in supplies (paint, compound, cutting pad, brush/touch up stick, etc.) and 1 hour of my time at $10 a hour = $45

The Guz
03-24-2015, 02:20 AM
I pick up touch up paint from here. This is for my personal cars.

Touch Up Paint and Accessories | AutomotiveTouchup (http://www.automotivetouchup.com/)

Paul A.
03-24-2015, 04:35 AM
I just used Dr. Colorchip for my BMW and was very pleased with the product, color match etc. However, if you have strong feelings about avoiding them, i have also used Paintscratch.com before and they are excellent.

Ebg18t
03-24-2015, 05:06 AM
3) What do you guys typically charge for a paint chip repair service? For just a few (say 5 or less) paint chips I was figuring to charge around $45. I would typically have about $35 in supplies (paint, compound, cutting pad, brush/touch up stick, etc.) and 1 hour of my time at $10 a hour = $45

You need to charge more than $10/hr. Skilled labor cost much more than that.

98LowRanger
03-24-2015, 10:42 PM
Nobody has it color matched? Can anyone offer up any pricing for paint chip touch ups?

StalkerStang
03-24-2015, 11:31 PM
I'm by no means an expert on this; I've just started getting into detailing. But... I have been using the Dr. Colorchip system and I am happy with it so far. It works really well on the typical bumper and hood smaller chips.

It is not so great on larger chips. But overall its really helping make my black GT look much better along with compounding and polishing it out.

Paul A.
03-25-2015, 06:02 AM
Nobody has it color matched?

I agree and obviously can't because they don't have the same paint but i was happy with Dr. Colorchip being very close. I was also very very happy with PaintScratch dot com for a metallic dark blue and a silver on a Mercedes.

I haven't done it as an add on service yet. I have done it on my cars and a friends and need to refine my technique before i offer it to customers. I DEFINATELY wouldn't be charging $10/hour for this service considering the skills needed to get it right. And I would offer the perspective that a repaint to do it perfectly would cost the customer dearly. The value of being able to offer customer's something that avoids that repaint cost, retains their original surrounding paint and looks great is also "somewhat expensive" but a savings compared to a panel or complete part repaint.