PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on a scratch

Siciliang35
03-22-2015, 10:53 AM
After the snow storms i got a car wash only to find this on my black g35.

Will base and clear coat with quixx scratch remover fix this ??

Siciliang35
03-22-2015, 12:57 PM
Anybody? I wanna try to touch it up with a base. And clear coat pen and use quixx ???

Kamakaz1961
03-22-2015, 01:12 PM
That can be easily fixed by wet sanding and the correcting and polishing. It looks like your fingernails do not get stuck from the scratch part.

Go on Youtube and there are plenty of how-to's to fix that.

The last resort would be touch up in this case.

Do not be scared of wet sanding either. Once you know the technique and with practice...you will actually look forward to tackling something like this.

Get 1500 grit and 2000 grit wet sand paper. Finish off with 2500 or 3000 grit wet sand paper compound, polish and then LSP. I would also get the sanding block too

BTW, DO NOT use the buy on TV pens or the other junk. If you need to touch up then get the manufactures paint. I had a G35 and I believe your paint is Obsidian Black.

Mike Phillips
03-23-2015, 07:04 AM
I would start with a thorough compounding and polishing to clean up the area and also the scratches, chances are good this will remove the appearance of the scratches just by restoring clarity to the clearcoat.

Then you can look into either applying touch up paint just to keep it simple. If you don't want to take on car detailing as your new hobby this would be a good route to take.

If you want to get more information try doing a LITTLE sanding with a very high grit sanding paper and then removing your sanding marks.

Wetsanding takes some experience when working on factory paint because it's very thin.

:)

Siciliang35
05-01-2015, 10:33 AM
When using touch up paint and clear coat , what are the steps? Clean, base, dry then clear or base, wet sand then clear???

Wouldn't 1500 be to deep to start?? I was gonna start with 2k and is aytozone Sand paper ok?

What cut compound? I know some are thicker ??

I would like to start on this today someone please explain a bit... I looked at many vids but wanna make sure I'm on the rite track

Siciliang35
05-01-2015, 03:08 PM
Ok i guess. I'm not gonna get to it today . Can somebody give me some info on this

Siciliang35
05-02-2015, 08:12 AM
This forum sucks lol

SSStang
05-02-2015, 10:09 AM
Welcome AG!
I have not had the chance to fix a scratch like that but there are some good video's on the tube that can help.
I would hit it with 2500 or 3000 sand paper and see what it looks like. Then use the touch up paint then sand level. Polish out sanding marks and call it good!

goldenlight
05-02-2015, 01:43 PM
Wet sanding scares the crap out of me. I rather use the langka or Dr colorchip method..

Rsurfer
05-02-2015, 02:36 PM
Caution you now that your G35 has very thin clear coat. Look at my avatar. I would recommend that you practice on a used panel or a beater before touching your paint. Good luck.

pford13
05-02-2015, 03:19 PM
Wet sanding scares the crap out of me. I rather use the langka or Dr colorchip method..

You need a couple of teenagers that share a 10 year old Camry. They give you lots of of new things to practice on.

david b
05-02-2015, 04:01 PM
Couldn't agree more! I have one teenager driving an '07 daily driver. I get all kinds of practice. My AG shopping cart is always full. The FedEx guy just rolls his eyes :xyxthumbs: