PDA

View Full Version : Amateur detailer product setup

JoeGT
03-22-2015, 10:19 AM
Hey everyone, just bought a few products to detail my 2015 Ford Mustang GT. The car is black, and damn, what a nightmare to keep clean!

I've been washing and waxing for the longest time, but finally jumped into the good products, rather than store bought.

The items I purchased:

Gilmour Foam Gun
CG light duty clay and luber
CG Wet Mirror Finish Ultra Slick Gloss Magnifier (Glaze)
Collinite 845

I will be applying the products by hand since I do not have a DA polisher... yet!

Any opinions or tips on using these products on my car? I've been lurking the forum and all the different articles, but would like all the help I can get. The paint is obviously in great condition since the car has under 500 miles, so I would like to keep it that way! :dblthumb2:

Thanks in advance!

2011 Kona Blue
03-22-2015, 10:30 AM
Hey everyone, just bought a few products to detail my 2015 Ford Mustang GT. The car is black, and damn, what a nightmare to keep clean!

I've been washing and waxing for the longest time, but finally jumped into the good products, rather than store bought.

The items I purchased:

Gilmour Foam Gun
CG light duty clay and luber
CG Wet Mirror Finish Ultra Slick Gloss Magnifier (Glaze)
Collinite 845

I will be applying the products by hand since I do not have a DA polisher... yet!

Any opinions or tips on using these products on my car? I've been lurking the forum and all the different articles, but would like all the help I can get. The paint is obviously in great condition since the car has under 500 miles, so I would like to keep it that way! :dblthumb2:

Thanks in advance!

Congrats on your new purchase. I had just put on a coat of that Chemical Guys Mirror Glaze onto my Kona Blue stang. Really nice shine and let the product sit for 15 minutes to bond and wipe off.

On a site note, I would really, really recommend getting dual action instead of doing it by hand. Its the way to go!

JoeGT
03-23-2015, 08:54 AM
Congrats on your new purchase. I had just put on a coat of that Chemical Guys Mirror Glaze onto my Kona Blue stang. Really nice shine and let the product sit for 15 minutes to bond and wipe off.

On a site note, I would really, really recommend getting dual action instead of doing it by hand. Its the way to go!

Thank you! Planning on purchasing one, but will probably do so for my next serious detail.

Bump -- Could use some more tips and advice, as well ws any other input from you guys! Im the MAN

Paul A.
03-23-2015, 09:06 AM
Welcome Joe! Looks like you have what you need to do what you described. Black is tough but certainly refines your skills with detailing.

Any friction passes on your paint will cause swirls, scratches etc. Take special car in washing and drying and use light pressure for both. You don't need to bear down with a wash mitt or drying towel...very very light pressure! Same with clay and use PLENTY of lube with that. I have found you can't over lube with clay but under lube on black paint and you've got some machining to do!

Another trick i use is a blower to remove the majority of the rinse water off before gently blotting the remaining water after the wash and clay. I don't dry the paint after a wash if i'm going to clay.

Read as many of the stickies on this forum for more specific info and search the heck out of this site. There is an abundance of specific info you are asking for already provided by the experts here. I also like to watch You Tube vid's on many things detail oriented.