PDA

View Full Version : Meguiars MT300 Impressions @ Detail Fest

Pages : [1] 2

ryandamartini
03-21-2015, 10:37 PM
Hello all,

I wanted to give my impressions of the new Meguiar's MT300 DA polisher here at Detail Fest 2015.

I am in the market for another buffing system. I still have my venerable 7336 PC and FLEX VVB rotary polishers. (I know..)

How it feels: I think this is very important for any tool in how it fits in your hand. When a tool fits well, you feel good about using it. The MT300 felt great in my hands whether using the handle or wrapping my hand on the head of the polisher and my left by the trigger.

How it operates: Butter. I think that with this polisher, it is really tuned to the Meguiar's system. It has a one piece counterweight that is made to counter the Meguiar's backing plate and 5" foam disks. It does this very well. If you're new or experienced, I believe that this system offers great results without any product hunting. After some general hood abuse, the simple coded Megs pads with 205 broke it out.

Final Word: I think again, overall this is made to be in a system. It works quite well with the Megs plate, pad, and product. It is capable of a good deal of defect removal for a DA and if I was new, I believe this system WOULD instill confidence.

Compared to my PC, this is just so much nicer.

KBsToy
03-22-2015, 04:42 AM
I just used the MT300 on on my wifes car and I like it. I had a Griots but decided to get another DA and chose this. Its lighter and after I got used to trigger away I went...

Mask
03-22-2015, 05:27 AM
I just used the MT300 on on my wifes car and I like it. I had a Griots but decided to get another DA and chose this. Its lighter and after I got used to trigger away I went...

Thanks for feedback sir :)
MT300 sure look nice.

ryandamartini
03-22-2015, 07:57 AM

Yes! The trigger is another benefit!

WRAPT C5Z06
03-23-2015, 09:35 AM
How is the power on concave surfaces?

swanicyouth
03-23-2015, 10:45 AM
How is the power on concave surfaces?

I had a chance to try this thing. It was OK. I used it on a hood of a Mopar they had there (rental). It was powerful enough, but the pad did want to stop spinning on a concave area around the edges. To be fair, I think I was using it only ~ 75% speed.

It's a nice machine for sure. It feels well balanced. It didn't impress me as being super smooth like a Rupes, but was smoother than other PC type machines. Coming from a Rupes, the motor felt traditionally "buzzy" like other DA style machines made in China.

The new thin Megs DA pads are nice. I watched a presentation they did and the mentioned how the maroon pad is a completely new foam that has more cut and better finishing.

This is probably a great system for most people. Only thing I really don't like about the "system", is M10x dusts a bit too much for me & M205 may not finish easily perfectly on every paint. But the system as a whole looks excellent, but IMHO it's not up there with the Rupes or the 3401.

It's quite versatile with a bunch of good pads, BPs, and sizes. Prolly the best buy out there to get the job done as a system.

WRAPT C5Z06
03-23-2015, 10:48 AM
I had a chance to try this thing. It was OK. I used it on a hood of a Mopar they had there (rental). It was powerful enough, but the pad did want to stop spinning on a concave area around the edges. To be fair, I think I was using it only ~ 75% speed.

It's a nice machine for sure. It feels well balanced. It didn't impress me as being super smooth like a Rupes, but was smoother than other PC type machines. Coming from a Rupes, the motor felt traditionally "buzzy" like other DA style machines made in China.

The new thin Megs DA pads are nice. I watched a presentation they did and the mentioned how the maroon pad is a completely new foam that has more cut and better finishing.

This is probably a great system for most people. Only thing I really don't like about the "system", is M10x dusts a bit too much for me & M205 may not finish easily perfectly on every paint. But the system as a whole looks excellent, but IMHO it's not up there with the Rupes or the 3401.

It's quite versatile with a bunch of good pads, BPs, and sizes. Prolly the best buy out there to get the job done as a system.
Thanks. I value your opinion.

As a side note, I agree 100% on M205.

VISITOR
03-23-2015, 02:51 PM

thanks for the honest feedback...

WRAPT C5Z06
03-23-2015, 02:53 PM
I don't see this polisher being more capable than the GG 6".

VISITOR
03-23-2015, 02:57 PM
I don't see this polisher being more capable than the GG 6".

if it isn't, I can live with the fact that the GG6 isn't as ergonomic or as comfortable to use as the MT300, which isn't a big deal to me...

WRAPT C5Z06
03-23-2015, 02:59 PM
if it isn't, I can live with the fact that the GG6 isn't as ergonomic or as comfortable to use as the MT300, which isn't a big deal to me...
:props:

ryandamartini
03-23-2015, 03:47 PM

I think that's a big part of the machine. The ergonomics are great. If you already have a DA that is the real benefit that for the money, it's very smooth.

You can of course use other products with the megs pads.

VISITOR
03-24-2015, 01:56 AM
I think that's a big part of the machine. The ergonomics are great. If you already have a DA that is the real benefit that for the money, it's very smooth.

yes, having a machine that has comfortable ergonomics and is smooth is nice and all, but if I have a smaller body PC style traditional DA (GG6) that has more torque/power then there's no need for me to purchase one (assuming the mt300 doesn't have the torque/power the GG6 has, would like to see more reviews/thoughts on it though). it's not worth my money for just the ergonomics/smoothness alone. I would rather save up and just get the GG6 first & then the Flex and call it a day...

KBsToy
03-24-2015, 04:41 AM

I used XMT line on wifes car with B/S MF pads and they worked great along with XMT 360. On concave surfaces they did slow up but I just adjusted to next speed and away I went.

I myself liked the machine but again this is from someone who owned a griots machine for awhile. I wanted to upgrade but being a weekender this was a good investment for me.

If your a pro and detail for a living then spend the extra and with Flex or Rupps....

ryandamartini
03-24-2015, 01:53 PM
I used XMT line on wifes car with B/S MF pads and they worked great along with XMT 360. On concave surfaces they did slow up but I just adjusted to next speed and away I went.

I myself liked the machine but again this is from someone who owned a griots machine for awhile. I wanted to upgrade but being a weekender this was a good investment for me.

If your a pro and detail for a living then spend the extra and with Flex or Rupps....

The flex has almost done too good of a job in that it will just rotate through anything and IMO has caused unfair judgments versus plain DA machines.

I'd say the machine overall is a step up in ergonomics and machine operation of any machine not named flex or rupes.