PDA

View Full Version : Detergents and Collinite #476

Pages : [1] 2

Odisious
03-21-2015, 10:01 PM
Is Collinite #476 detergent proof? I thought that only coatings or ceramics, quarts, nano-glasses were able to actually be detergent proof. I've never heard or seen anything in regards to what Collinite does to boost its wax to make it last so long, but also never looked into #476 until today and was surprised to see "detergent proof" in the description.

Mask
03-21-2015, 10:07 PM
It never happened to me yet :D
New formula?

Setec Astronomy
03-21-2015, 10:10 PM
They've been calling it "detergent proof" for 40 years. If you want to get into the semantics of that, you'll have to wade into "permanent", "durable polishes" etc.

PiPUK
03-22-2015, 05:36 AM
Detergent 'proof' would be a bit on the strong side for any product like collinite. It will, however, be strongly detergent resistant. The same thing will be true for almost any wax or sealant. If you want to experiment, get a bit of wax and throw it in a container filled with washing up soap - I guarantee you that it will not dissolve (whether you leave it for a minute or a year!).

Odisious
03-22-2015, 06:03 PM
Detergent 'proof' would be a bit on the strong side for any product like collinite. It will, however, be strongly detergent resistant. The same thing will be true for almost any wax or sealant. If you want to experiment, get a bit of wax and throw it in a container filled with washing up soap - I guarantee you that it will not dissolve (whether you leave it for a minute or a year!).
I see...That's a good way to put it...Detergent proof in an environment that's not necessarily exposed to what a vehicle's paint is exposed to. Does the 476 kick 845's butt?

pld
03-22-2015, 06:27 PM
Smack's it, not kicks it. 476 lasts longer and on my black paint look's better. It got me through this past harsh winter w/lot's of salty roads for over 4 months with NO TOPPER'S.

swanicyouth
03-22-2015, 06:28 PM
Can someone tells what a detergent is?

I'm thinking Tide.

Odisious
03-22-2015, 08:03 PM
Can someone tells what a detergent is?

I'm thinking Tide.

uhhhhhhhhhh...long night last night?

Smack's it, not kicks it. 476 lasts longer and on my black paint look's better. It got me through this past harsh winter w/lot's of salty roads for over 4 months with NO TOPPER'S.

How was dust and cleanability? I didn't like how dust and road tar were difficult to remove when I used 845...Better than other LSPs but 845 didn't hold a candle to the cleanabiliy of DP coating I have on one of my DDs. My truck I'd like to not coat and keep that as my experiment vehicle because it's not a DD.

pld
03-22-2015, 08:24 PM
uhhhhhhhhhh...long night last night?

How was dust and cleanability? I didn't like how dust and road tar were difficult to remove when I used 845...Better than other LSPs but 845 didn't hold a candle to the cleanabiliy of DP coating I have on one of my DDs. My truck I'd like to not coat and keep that as my experiment vehicle because it's not a DD.Not much different that I noticed from 845 and 476 in cleanability, sooooo...
you should start to think about using Sonax PnS because from what I'm reading about this product, your vehicle will practically wash itself after some rain.:xyxthumbs:

swanicyouth
03-22-2015, 08:26 PM
uhhhhhhhhhh...long night last night?.

Kind of...but detergents to me look like soap...

Vue to a kill
03-22-2015, 10:39 PM
Pipuk had it nailed Imo. It is quite resistant to the alkaline cleaners at the touch less (at least 845 was for me on my father's vehicle) but in time it will degrade. Though Collinite makes an amazing bang for the buck product.

rhk531
03-23-2015, 08:22 AM
Lets look back over time, 50, 75 or more years.
Apparently detergent strength soaps were commomplace.
Waxes were advertized as "serving the automotive, institutional and industrial marketplaces".
Institutional and Industrial (and Marine) marketplace I think is the origin of detergent proof durability.
Industrial strength wax to resist industrial strength soap.

The auto...anybodys guess on what soap someone would use in those early, mid-century days on their car.
During those radio broadcast years a leading company in the field had a popular slogan "Motorists Wise, Simoniz".
Collinite founded in 1936 was in the period of such strong cleaning products and had products to do just that.
Apparently chose to rely on word of mouth promotion (popular in the yacht yards, marinas, etc...)

Fast forward to today, with all options to pick from around the home, a detergent product, such as laundry
or dishwasher detergent would seem excessive just to wash the car.
But many would consider a Dish Soap and have over the past maybe 50 years.

So, Collinite degrading...why not? Isn't that part of the theory behind using any wax?
Impart a shine, protect and in the natural flaking / degrading process take along embedded surface grime.
And in time completely remove it with solvent or a companies cleaner wax product.
Your choice...to degrade (waxes) or not to degrade (coatings).

antiquerick

FUNX650
03-23-2015, 09:47 AM
Foreword:
Since "The Second Law of Thermodynamics" is sometimes viewed as a rather cumbersome phrase; and, because Entropy is a (measurement)-index of this second law's predictions about energy:
I'll use this shortened (some say: interchangable) version.

As such...
In your below post are you stating that 'Coatings' are immune to/unaffected by: Entropy?

TIA.

So, Collinite degrading...why not? Isn't that part of the theory behind using any wax?
Impart a shine, protect and in the natural flaking / degrading process take along embedded surface grime.
And in time completely remove it with solvent or a companies cleaner wax product.

Your choice...
to degrade (waxes)
or not to degrade (coatings).

Bob

Odisious
03-23-2015, 09:56 AM
Your choice...to degrade (waxes) or not to degrade (coatings).

antiquerick

It's an interesting concept for sure, but waxes being designed to flake or degrade is just a property of natural waxes, not the theory in the use. If that were so waxes would be designed to wash off taking contams with them after a week and polishing with things like kero would have never been done back in the day...hence, Collinite would have never made their waxes with freakish life spans. The striving of almost all professional companies (even Turtle Wax with their newest offering, maybe the exception is chemical guys hahaha) is to create products with longevity (i.e. sealants, and sealant wax combinations; now everyone is making their versions of coatings). It makes for a discussion, but I was just pointing out they advertise their product as resistant to detergents (think of degreasing agents). If a product is resistant to detergents then it will also be resistant to droppings, ozone, contams, even an IPA wipe down..?...just wondering how much it resists these things compared to coating. I may have to do a panel test on a coatings vs. 476, but I really don't want to spring for the 476...I'd rather put that money into other things...I do have some 845 I could test with. I don't know if that's a fair comparison though.

PiPUK
03-23-2015, 03:58 PM
Just beware, we are getting a number of terminologies thrown about. "Detergent strength soap" is a meaningless term. To be brutally honest, I wish you guys would drop the "soap" term - it is WRONG! What you guys tend to refer to as "soaps" are actually detergents and the reality is that soaps do not exist in this sector of the market because they are an old tech which are massively inferior to modern detergents/surfactants.