PDA

View Full Version : Meguiars MT300 or Flex 3401

Zubair
03-21-2015, 07:36 PM
I know the Flex is more powerful, both are more than powerful enough for defect removal but my interest is more on comfort ie. A machine that feels balanced, light, smooth and quiet. Which of the two will be better in that regard? Also does the MT300 work with the new LC hybrid pads?

psdnuts
03-21-2015, 07:46 PM
if you can swing the money get Flex or if you want quieter machine get Rupes . most of DA's will work with LC hybrid pads. But seems that Flex makes the best of them.
you going to get all sorts of answers here. There is Flex club and Rupes club.
I have PC 7424, Rupes 21. Rupes Mini 75, Flex VRG, and 15 yrs old rotary SnapOn. Rupes is super easy to use and most comfortable tool. Flex of the other hand cuts way faster - especially for AIO.. I usually flip between both depending what i have to do and type of paint. each one has its place.
hope this helps. more advices to follow shortly from other members.
good luck with your decision.

Zubair
03-21-2015, 07:50 PM
Not a fan of the Rupes or its price point thus wont even consider it. Just want a more comfortable, quieter and less vibration DA. I have narrowed it down to these two and won't consider any other alternatives based on tons of research.

psdnuts
03-21-2015, 07:57 PM
never used MT300 so can't help you here… but since you narrowed it down to 2 machines it should be easy. Here is my take. What you going to use it for ? will you do more then your rides? Flex forced rotation makes it a little tricky to handle. MT300 is a typical DA so it should be a little quieter . both will get you the same results. Flex will get you there faster .
BTW i consider flex pretty loud.

Evan.J
03-21-2015, 08:09 PM
I would go with the Flex over the MT300 hands down.

With the forced rotation you will never have to worry about the pads not spinning.

The flex and handle 5.5" and 6.5" pads with no problems.

The build quality of the flex is a,asking and you can feel that it was well put together IMO

The Flex was made to polish paint and that all.

While some say the forced rotation can be a bit difficult to get used to I was able to get a feel for it in a matter of minutes when I first used one.
Additionally If you go with a flex I would get the longer cable if they make a 220v option.

I used a Flex on Air Force One for 16 hours a day for 7 days when our group did it and we all had the Flex

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee289/thoryamaha919/image.jpg1_zpsvsayhfj2.jpg (http://s232.photobucket.com/user/thoryamaha919/media/image.jpg1_zpsvsayhfj2.jpg.html)

Loach
03-21-2015, 08:50 PM
My hands are starting to be affected by vibrations a lot more now, the vibrations on the Flex when I was working with it for a few days were enough to have me wanting to go grab my Dewalt rotary for the grunt work. The initial impressions on the MT300 is that it's a smooth running DA compared to the PC and Griot's. I would also like to hear more about guys who have used both the MT300 and Flex with regards to comfort and smoothness.

VISITOR
03-21-2015, 08:54 PM
I would go with the Flex over the MT300 hands down.

With the forced rotation you will never have to worry about the pads not spinning.

The flex and handle 5.5" and 6.5" pads with no problems.

The build quality of the flex is a,asking and you can feel that it was well put together IMO

The Flex was made to polish paint and that all.

While some say the forced rotation can be a bit difficult to get used to I was able to get a feel for it in a matter of minutes when I first used one.
Additionally If you go with a flex I would get the longer cable if they make a 220v option.

I used a Flex on Air Force One for 16 hours a day for 7 days when our group did it and we all had the Flex

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee289/thoryamaha919/image.jpg1_zpsvsayhfj2.jpg (http://s232.photobucket.com/user/thoryamaha919/media/image.jpg1_zpsvsayhfj2.jpg.html)

:iagree:and also get the interchangeable lake country backing plate system as well....

I haven't used the mt300 but if I were in the market for a traditional style DA with better ergonomics then this would be a good choice. would like to hear more feedback on it thought and some more up-close vids in action would be nice too...

Dereksdtail
03-21-2015, 09:06 PM
Not the flex or mt300 but the torq fx is smoooooth sailing, love working with it

DaveT435
03-21-2015, 09:24 PM
I can't speak for the MT 300, but I had a Meg 110 v2 and the vibration was terrible. Also had 2 of them quit working with less tha 20 hours on them. I Assume since this is a total redesign they addressed some of the problems. I also have. 7424XP and recently got a Flex. The Flex is the smoothest macine I have used.

ryandamartini
03-21-2015, 10:25 PM
I know the Flex is more powerful, both are more than powerful enough for defect removal but my interest is more on comfort ie. A machine that feels balanced, light, smooth and quiet. Which of the two will be better in that regard? Also does the MT300 work with the new LC hybrid pads?

I thought that I would give you an answer on this after thoroughly testing all of the above today at detail fest and after some prolonged conversations with the reps.

RUPES (thought Id give input on this): I want to like this SYSTEM. The machines are designed to use their backing plates, pads, and polishes. I think this needs to be stated more. It is a system but a great one. I love this as I don't have to fight the machine. It has a great level of correction and the finish is just beautiful. A lot of people lose their head about curved panels. Just go glow and break the curve into sections to polish. Yes it takes longer but the system is smoooooth. I'm really wanting to get the bigfoot 15 and the mini myself. I also like that it ends the endless product searching. Another thing is with how nice it operates, it does not tire you and long term, is healthier for your joints.

FLEX: I had a great conversation with the FLEX gentleman. I used it with the 5" hybrid LC pads. At "normal" compounding / polish speeds, it wasn't bad at all for me having some rotary experience already. I think that it was very easy to use and confirming with the rep, people just love to sit on this machine and not let the added forced rotation do the work. After scuffing up his hood a couple times and removing it fast.. I really do like this polisher. I think that it strikes a nice balance of correction, power when needed, and can be a smooth, easy day if you invest more time versus downward pressure.

Meguiars: I spent a little bit on the Meguiars machine. First of all, I really liked how it felt in the hand. It seemed to fit my hands well. I think that the price premium over say GG or PC is warranted if you go into the Meguiars system. The counterweight is aimed to offset their own backing plate and their slim pads. With these attached, it is BUTTER. I can also confirm the torque management. When pressure is applied, you can feel it working to maintain the spin. Overall a good mid level priced machine that gives good results. If you dont mind going into the Meguiars system, it is definitely well priced, handles well, and is not taxing to operate.

I touched a lot on the factors relating to ease of operation for a reason. I've got family in the trades and they are wrecked physically. I think it is important when investing in tools to consider how taxing it is to use.

My .02.

Zubair
03-22-2015, 06:38 AM
Appreciate the responses but looking for something more concrete like eg. Flex vibrates roughly 30% more than MT300 or MT300 is significantly more comfortable,quieter and smoother than Flex. Or someone who has used both and from experience states theres not much in it between either in comfort?

DA's have come to a point where they are more than powerful enough and have a large enough throw so all will get the job done. The REAL differentiator is does the machine tire you out and break you after a panel and makes you fear doing another panel let alone another car or is it smooth and wonderful to operate making life easier(isnt that what technology is ultimately about), or does it make you hurt and cause irreparable joint issues going forward?

We past power and throw(achieved) comfort is what should distinguish new tech DA's.

Zubair
06-25-2015, 12:23 AM
Just to bump this up again, hoping more have purchased or spent time with the MT300 to give their thoughts.

Zubair
06-25-2015, 01:57 PM
Not a fan of the Rupes or its price point thus wont even consider it. Just want a more comfortable, quieter and less vibration DA. I have narrowed it down to these two and won't consider any other alternatives based on tons of research.

Okay, guess I have to change my thinking and options. The MT300 is not available in 230v and the only other 2 options are now the Flex or the Rupes. The Rupes guy locally was polite enough to respond to my e-mail with a telephone call. He mentioned the 15 to be the smoothest of the Rupes Bigfoot offerings, more suited to curves than the 21, more rpm than the 21 too as a result of the shorter orbit so will have equivalent cutting power and get into tighter spots where the 21 can't.