PDA

View Full Version : discount tire crossed threaded a lug nut errghh

timaishu
03-21-2015, 04:16 PM
Some of you may remember my previous thread where I asked for advice and purchased new rotors, pads, and brake fluid.

Well I finally got the job done today. Did a test drive to make sure all was well. After this I was going to bleed the brakes. I started with the right rear tire and while removing the lugs I noticed one of the lugs was stuck. I went and undid the other ones and then the wheel became loose. Those numb nuts at discount tire crossed threaded it half way. Its just partially on there and doesn't provide any support for the wheel.

I know it was discount tire as they were the last ones to touch my car. I had my mechanic fix my mistake of when I snapped off a caliper bolt on the same right rear side. But according to my invoice, this was about a week or two before discount tire touched it. So it wasn't my mechanic, it was discount tire.

They also dinged the hell out of one of my wheels too. I noticed it last week. I know its new as you can see the fresh metal, it has yet for form a later of imbedded dirt in the mark, it looks clean and fresh. Its near one of the lug nut holes and they are circular dings, not curb rash.

:mad:

I called discount to see what they will do and the guy advised me to call back in 30 minutes, still 5 left to go, and that that's when the manager will be back from lunch.

timaishu
03-21-2015, 04:29 PM
Okay, just got off the phone and they were very nice. I told the manager on duty what happened and the timelines and he gave me the number of a shop I have dealt with before(re-assuring as I know their work) and that whatever they determine the fix is, they will bill discount tire for the work. Whether it be a new hub or just the removal and re-threading of the stud, he told me whatever they determine is the fix, they will pay.

Phew, glad that went well. As for the dinged wheel, honestly I am not super bothered by it as my wheels aren't perfect (bought them used - but I have never added any rash, only got what the previous owner did) but I should atleast get some sort of compensation or possibly get it refinished. They said the actual store manager will be there Wednesday and the assistant manager told me to bring it by so they can take a look.

NightForce
03-21-2015, 04:40 PM
This typically happens when someone tries to start the nut using an impact wrench rather than start each one manually then tighten with the impact...

timaishu
03-21-2015, 04:49 PM
This typically happens when someone tries to start the nut using an impact wrench rather than start each one manually then tighten with the impact...

It makes sense, and if you watch those guys, they are always moving so quickly. The tech probably fired them one pretending to be a pit crew or something and just jammed the lug nut up to the stud and hammered them on with the impact gun.

NightForce
03-21-2015, 04:54 PM
it makes sense, and if you watch those guys, they are always moving so quickly. The tech probably fired them one pretending to be a pit crew or something and just jammed the lug nut up to the stud and hammered them on with the impact gun.

bingo!!

david79z28
03-21-2015, 06:10 PM
They did the same thing to my sons truck. One of his tires even came off!

They took care of their mistake!

SYMAWD
03-21-2015, 07:37 PM
That's why wherever I take my car I request that an impact is not used to put lugs back on.

RTexasF
03-21-2015, 09:11 PM
When I buy tires from them I request (damn near demand) they hand tighten the wheels then use a torque wrench. I make SURE they know the proper torque setting recommended by the manufacturer. Never a problem over the last four cars.

ryandamartini
03-21-2015, 09:55 PM
Okay, just got off the phone and they were very nice. I told the manager on duty what happened and the timelines and he gave me the number of a shop I have dealt with before(re-assuring as I know their work) and that whatever they determine the fix is, they will bill discount tire for the work. Whether it be a new hub or just the removal and re-threading of the stud, he told me whatever they determine is the fix, they will pay.

Phew, glad that went well. As for the dinged wheel, honestly I am not super bothered by it as my wheels aren't perfect (bought them used - but I have never added any rash, only got what the previous owner did) but I should atleast get some sort of compensation or possibly get it refinished. They said the actual store manager will be there Wednesday and the assistant manager told me to bring it by so they can take a look.

I was going to comment but they beat me to it. Discount Tire is usually the height of customer service in their industry. I had something similar happen and they footed the entire bill 100%.

DaveT435
03-21-2015, 10:25 PM
I was a manager for Discount Tire for 28 years. There are a few things that could have caused the problem, but believe me lugs don't get started with impact wrenches there.

timaishu
03-23-2015, 07:10 PM
Got my car back. It was indeed cross thread. They said they use their impact gun full power to break it off. I had no idea, but I guess each stud can be removed individually? He said they hammered out the old stud and put a new one in with a new lug nut. Overall very painless. They had it done in less than an hour. Very pleased.

Setec Astronomy
03-23-2015, 07:11 PM
Ok, so how did the brake job come out?

timaishu
03-23-2015, 07:22 PM
Ok, so how did the brake job come out?

Went well, no issues at all. Just referenced a few guides on a Nissan forum. Only challenge I ran into was figuring out which way the pad goes in relation to the wear marker.

Both wear markers had fallen off the right side and the left side I didn't pay attention as I didn't know I needed too. The shop that fixed my car today said I had a few on with it facing the wrong way. I did some more looking and it looks like they are all supposed to face up from what I can tell. The official Nissan service manual doesn't say or show a thing. I guess I put them in with some up and some down I suppose. :doh:

One video I watched the guy put them facing down then a guide shows them facing up.

Overall no noises that my other ones didn't already make so that's good. They do feel a bit more grabby, but I am wondering if that's also because of the thicker pads. Now that I got the stud fixed, either this Wednesday or this weekend I will change the pad orientation and then bleed the brakes.

Smitty4x4
03-23-2015, 07:28 PM
I had a wheel stud break while at a Discount Tire but it was handled before I left. The manager said that the guy was new and had somehow got grease on the stud or in the lug nut and it broke off when he was tightening. I was young and didnt know a lot about cars back then so he could have fed me a line about preexisting...blah blah blah and i would not have known any better. Instead, was honest about the problem , replaced all 5 studs and lug nuts and even bought me lunch at the Chick-fil-a next door for the extended wait. I couldn't ask for better customer service.