PDA

View Full Version : Meguiar's D115 Anatomy

Odisious
03-21-2015, 09:06 AM
Hi, I've heard lots of good things about D115, I was wondering if anyone knows does it really contain wax, or is it polymers? I ask because I would be using over sealants and coatings. I'd like to not throw waxes over them. I imagine it's polymers, because how do you concentrate true wax anyway... Thanks for your help!

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
03-21-2015, 09:13 AM
Im pretty sure its going to be polymer protection based. I know Professor Bob (FUNX725) can chime in with an in depth analysis.

No problems using over coatings.

silverfox
03-21-2015, 09:20 AM
If wax, you are referring to something that is natural, then no...it has no natural protection. Its all synthetic...it won't hurt a sealant or coating. I think it's without equal in its class.

Odisious
03-21-2015, 09:56 AM
Thank you...that's what I was hoping...
How's it compare to Ultima?? I'm extremely impressed with Ultima WW+

Mask
03-21-2015, 10:08 AM
Meg D114/D115 combo are both excellent products.
trade off: D115 attracts insects and i can't have access to them here :(

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
03-21-2015, 10:10 AM
I started out doing Rinseless/Waterless washes with UWW+

I tried a few others but when I arrived at Meguiar's D114 and D115, the others were given away.

Odisious
03-21-2015, 11:06 AM
I started out doing Rinseless/Waterless washes with UWW+

I tried a few others but when I arrived at Meguiar's D114 and D115, the others were given away.

Forgive this next question if it's elsewhere on the forum. Why the combination of 114 and 115...not good enough to just use the one 115 to add some gloss? 114 is fine, but I'm looking for something that gives gloss like UWW+. Thanks again for the input.

FUNX650
03-21-2015, 11:19 AM
FWIW:
http://www.meguiars.co.uk/attach/downloads/2964393_uk.pdf

According to the information disseminated by a couple
of Meguiar's spokespersons in this video found here:
Meguiars Rinse Free Express Wash & Wax D-11501, rinseless car wash, rinseless wash and wax (http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-rinse-free-express-wash-and-wax-d11501.html)

D115 "leaves something behind"...

Disclaimers:
-I'm going to go out on a limb and say that D115 is more than likely a synthetic, or even perhaps a "hybrid", wash product; but that doesn't mean that I'm saying that there is, or isn't, any Wax hanging about in D115's neighborhood.

-To be sure: I'm also not saying that the following is applicable to D115, or not...just something to think about.

•Without further ado...
-It has been discovered that aqueous compositions can be satisfactorily "thickened" by the incorporation of a (volatile) polydimethyl-siloxane containing dissolved wax. The thickening is achieved by emulsifying the mixed ingredients...through the use of emulsifying agents (of course).

•It has been demonstrated that these polydimethylsiloxanes mixtures, [which can also have emollient/(conditioner) properties], volatilize rapidly after application...
-For this reason: they are not readily retained on a surface.

•Accordingly:
-Could/Does this mean that D115's "something left behind" could be some of the Wax that was, originally, an integral part of the emulsified mixture?

•In all likelihood:
-The Chemist(s) responsible for D115's formulation would be among the very few of the all-knowing-ones for making a case...one way or another.

-You can definitely count me out as a member
of that close-knit Fraternity. :)

Bob

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
03-21-2015, 11:20 AM
Forgive this next question if it's elsewhere on the forum. Why the combination of 114 and 115...not good enough to just use the one 115 to add some gloss? 114 is fine, but I'm looking for something that gives gloss like UWW+. Thanks again for the input.

Posted below
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-university/89737-my-waterless-rinseless-wash-method.html

Meticulous-Detail
03-21-2015, 01:21 PM
D115 is one of my favs.

silverfox
03-21-2015, 03:39 PM
Not only is D114 a super cleaning rinseless wash (that leaves nothing behind), its strong enough to strip wax at super high concentrations. Its the most versatile rinseless on the market and perfect for coatings...but D115 will give you the gloss with protection.

Odisious
03-21-2015, 08:25 PM
Thanks again to all for the info.

Mask
03-21-2015, 11:19 PM
I had used a 12oz of D114 one year+ ago and since then, I still can remember the scent till now... also how it kept my wash media clean :)