PDA

View Full Version : Potential Detailing Plan

Ryche
03-20-2015, 03:04 PM
I think I've finally figured out what I want to do to my car (Liquid Silver 2014 Mazda S Touring) and my wife's (Blue 2003 Chevy Cavalier) before summer kicks in. As a noob, I've been looking for products that are fairly easy to use, won't kill my wallet but will still leave a respectable look on the cars. Here's what I've finally come up with (though there are a few questions I'm still trying to figure out.

Wash (Meguiars Deep Crystal Wash or maybe Gold Class Wash)
Microfiber Dry
Clay Bar (with Meguiars UQD as Lubricant, including windshield)
Klasse AIO (body + windshield and other glass)
Klasse SG (body of car, glass other than windshield)
Topper Wax (Poorboy's Natty's Paste or Meguiars #26)
Windshield Hydrophobic Sealant - (Aquapel? RainX?)

The three questions I have remaining:
1) Am I missing anything, or is the above overkill?
2) Topper Wax - Both the Meguiar's and Poorboy's look to be easy on/easy off, and should do what I want. Is there an advantage to one over the other?
3) Windshield Hydrophobic Sealant - Are there advantages to going with a "name" as opposed to an OTC product like RainX?

Thanks for any thoughts/advice!

Zelfiris
03-20-2015, 03:23 PM
Rain-x works but doesn't last too long. Great value for its money. I have not heard aquapel used in a couple of years, last time I remember was someone mentioning it can cause cancer (not confirmed, please don't quote me).

What about tire dressing? or metal polish for the exhaust tips? or trim dressing for the molding/plastic parts?

ryandamartini
03-20-2015, 03:28 PM
If you're new, I would stay away from Klasse. I love their product but it isn't known to be the easiest to apply.

I would look at Duragloss 105 w. bonding agent as a much easier to apply option.

Ryche
03-21-2015, 08:54 AM
Zel - For tires I've got Meguiar's Hot Shine spray. The way I use it is spray on, then wipe with a microfiber to give it a smooth finish.

Ryan - Thank you for the thoughts. I'll have to do a little more research. The stuff I've read on Klasse makes it sound like wipe on/wipe off.

Ebg18t
03-21-2015, 11:23 AM
If your open to new ideas instead of Klasse I would look at some of the Wolfgang, Menzerna & Black Fire AIO type products.

Are you doing this by hand or using a machine?

Ryche
03-21-2015, 03:32 PM
Ebg - I'm definitely open to new ideas. I don't mind a little work - just looking for a decent product that is virtually idiot-proof, since, as a noob, mistakes may happen.

One other thing I'm kind of looking for is something that can go on in the sun. All my cars are non-garage kept, daily drivers. I think both Duragloss and Poorboys meet that.

At this point, everything is hand done. Haven't decided if I'll detail enough to make a machine worthwhile.

Ebg18t
03-21-2015, 08:46 PM
Also look at Collinite. Great for a car that is outside fulltime.

Mask
03-21-2015, 10:39 PM
I'm definitely open to new ideas. just looking for a decent product that is virtually idiot-proof

something that can go on in the sun. All my cars are non-garage kept, daily drivers.

Meguiars Hyper wash
Meguiars Ultimate Liquid wax
Meguiars UQW (Meg D156-gallon)
Meguiars D114/D115 or both :D

Regards