PDA

View Full Version : Is "Let It Shine" a product?

dbsoccer
03-20-2015, 01:47 PM
My local detail shop used a product called "Let It Shine" from a company called AutoPride on my tonneau cover. I liked the results. Has anyone heard of this product? My WEB searches have some up empty.

I am looking for a UV protectant for the cover and tires that leaves more of a matt finish than glossy. My limited experience with this type of product, to date, has been with Armor All and I believe there is a low gloss Armor All product. I figured there are products that will do a better job than ArmorAll with the added cost of course. I've read about several on this site already but I'm not sure which ones leave the more natural, matt look. Any help on either of these questions would be much appreciated.

SameGuy
03-21-2015, 02:42 AM
I trust and use 303 Aerospace Protectant for precisely the look you're after.

Mask
03-21-2015, 04:49 AM
Matt look:
303 AP
Meguiars M40
CG Silk Shine

Nice sheen:
AMMO Mud

Best overall:
Tire coating

Regards

dbsoccer
03-24-2015, 05:57 PM
Thanks for the input from everyone..

But I'm left with more questions...

Elsewhere I've read about and seen reviews about Meg's 170. Above Mask recommends Meg's 40. What is the difference? I understand that if diluted to say 4:1 the 170 will leave a nice matt finish. So why the duplication?

Setec Astronomy
03-24-2015, 06:06 PM
Elsewhere I've read about and seen reviews about Meg's 170. Above Mask recommends Meg's 40. What is the difference? I understand that if diluted to say 4:1 the 170 will leave a nice matt finish. So why the duplication?

Because they are different products. D170 is in the Detailer line and is a dilutable product which has a grape scent available in gallons only. #40 is in the Mirror Glaze line and is not dilutable and has a leather or "new car" smell, and comes in a 16oz spray bottle or a gallon.

dbsoccer
03-25-2015, 12:10 PM
Thanks Setec, but bottle size and having different odors and in different product lines explains some things but it doesn't really say much about the real product and how effective it is on the tire. Is the 40 really just a diluted 170 in a 16oz consumer bottle with a different smell? If it is, since I'm ok with diluting a concentrate, I'll opt to save some money and buy a gallon. I'm not too interested in how my tires smell.

Setec Astronomy
03-25-2015, 12:28 PM
Is the 40 really just a diluted 170 in a 16oz consumer bottle with a different smell?

As I said previously, no, they are different products.

M40 has cleaning components that D170 doesn't have. I don't use M40 on tires, only on interiors.

dbsoccer
03-25-2015, 01:32 PM
Ah, Thanks! You have added an important difference that you didn't have before. (at least important to me.)

One is a cleaner and the other isn't. That makes them functionally different. Smell, bottle size and product line are insignificant differences.

Interesting that you don't use M40 on tires. Rubber is in the name and it seems like it would clean the tire as well as protect.

Setec Astronomy
03-25-2015, 02:06 PM
Interesting that you don't use M40 on tires. Rubber is in the name and it seems like it would clean the tire as well as protect.

Do you know how many dressings there are (interior or exterior or both)? Do you know how many dressings I have? I don't need my tire dressing to have a cleaner in it because I clean my tires before I dress them.

Here's one where you don't have to worry about whether Meg's is putting the same thing in a different bottle: Poorboy's Natural Look Dressing: Natural Look Dressing is a non-toxic, tri-action lotion performing cleaning, protecting and beautifying duties in one (http://www.autogeek.net/pbnl16.html)

dbsoccer
03-25-2015, 06:14 PM
Setec,

The more I explore this field the more I appreciate how many different products there are which is why I was wondering about the true differences between two products that seemed to be the same and from the same company. I appreciate your insight and perspective. And I appreciate your product recommendation.

Just out of curiosity, what product(s) do you use to clean tires and what product(s) do you use to as a dressing?

Setec Astronomy
03-25-2015, 06:36 PM
I have a lot of products I don't use the same ones all the time.

A "famous" chemist and business owner has suggested that car detailing products are sold in the same way cosmetics are.

My translation of that is that there are a lot of companies selling products that are similar and therefore try to differentiate them through such things as marketing and packaging. That can extend to multiple lines sold by the same company. Additionally, there are a lot less actual manufacturers than there are sellers.

That being said, that doesn't mean that two similar products from the same manufacturer don't have significant differences. Just because Meguiar's makes 2 or 3 retail lines, the Mirror Glaze ("professional") line, Detailer line, etc., doesn't mean that those products aren't tuned to the needs of a specific market or application (of course some of them are identical, and Meguiar's is honest about that, for instance QID and UQW/D156).

Over on another forum we used to say "process over product" or something like that, meaning that understanding the processes and types or classes of products and how they are used is more important than the brand or actual product.

In this case, getting a tire clean (removing any dirt/brake dust, old dressing, oxidized rubber, and blooming) is the most important step to any dressing success. Then there are a few different types of tire dressing (oil or water based, sealants, or coatings), a few consistencies (spray/liquid, gel). Some dressings the gloss can be varied by dilution or number of applications.

A few good long lasting trim sealants that can also be used on tires are Ultima Tire and Trim Guard, Wolfgang Exterior Trim Sealant, and Blackfire Total Tire and Trim Sealant. These may be a little glossier than you would like on hard trims on initial application, but should tone down a little. You can also try something like Optimum Opti-Bond. Meguiar's is also back to making a tire and trim gel: Meguiars Tire & Trim Gel, tire dressing, trim dressing (http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-tire-trim-gel.html)

dbsoccer
03-25-2015, 09:04 PM
Thanks Setec, I understand your point about the cleaning step being the most important. What products do find yourself using more frequently for the cleaning step?

Setec Astronomy
03-25-2015, 09:42 PM
Right now I'm using Optimum Power Clean diluted 1:1. I also find that pH-neutral wheel cleaners like Griot's and P21S have desirable properties for tire cleaners.

Many people like the caustic tire cleaners but I find they seem to pull more anti-ozonant out of the tire.