PDA

View Full Version : Starting new car care product line

Irishcars
03-19-2015, 12:53 PM
Hello,

As I'm sure you all are, I'm an avid clean car enthusiast. When my car is clean, I am happy. Detailing products cost say $10 per bottle on average, with complete kits costing around $50. The problem with these kits is that more often than not, by say the fifth wash, one of the products has either spilled, been used up or not in stock for whatever reason. My question to you is do you think there is room in the market for another brand ? A brand where high quality and relatively low cost is the main focus. If so what set backs would you see ? Main challenges etc?

Thank you I look forward to hearing from you.

Charleston
03-19-2015, 01:23 PM
I really don't think there is, unless you have massive capital and some serious background in the business you will end up bell up.

conman1395
03-19-2015, 01:29 PM
Hello,

As I'm sure you all are, I'm an avid clean car enthusiast. When my car is clean, I am happy. Detailing products cost say $10 per bottle on average, with complete kits costing around $50. The problem with these kits is that more often than not, by say the fifth wash, one of the products has either spilled, been used up or not in stock for whatever reason. My question to you is do you think there is room in the market for another brand ? A brand where high quality and relatively low cost is the main focus. If so what set backs would you see ? Main challenges etc?

Thank you I look forward to hearing from you.
Like Duragloss?
Duragloss is low price and high quality focus, but they've been around a while. Their lower prices are likely contributed by nearly no advertising expenses. It would be hard for a new company to have success because the advertising would be a large part of the product costs.

Desertnate
03-19-2015, 01:32 PM
Like Duragloss?
Duragloss is low price and high quality focus, but they've been around a while. Their lower prices are likely contributed by nearly no advertising expenses. It would be hard for a new company to have success because the advertising would be a large part of the product costs.

You could probably put most of the Meguiars customer-grade products and Prima in this catagory too. Duragloss has the edge on price, but these others aren't far off.

Rsurfer
03-19-2015, 01:32 PM
Good luck my man.:props:

spiralout462
03-19-2015, 01:34 PM
HaHaHa!

Welcome to AGO!

LOL!

conman1395
03-19-2015, 01:43 PM
You could probably put most of the Meguiars customer-grade products and Prima in this catagory too. Duragloss has the edge on price, but these others aren't far off.
But Meguiar's customer grade is trickled down technology from tbe professional products (usually) . The product costs are then spread over more products. Additionally Meguiar's has been a long standing, reliable brand that many guys walk into an auto parts store and think, "If it's Meguiar's it must be good."

That's not to say it's impossible though!

trekkeruss
03-19-2015, 01:56 PM
do you think there is room in the market for another brand ?

Someone is always coming up with a "better" mousetrap.

A brand where high quality and relatively low cost is the main focus.

OK, if you say so.

If so what set backs would you see ?

Do you have a background in chemistry?

Main challenges etc?

How are you going to stand up to the Meguiars, Mothers, Turtle Waxes, etc. of the world with their massive advertising budgets and shelf space at WM, Target, and the national auto parts chains?

Realistically, I think the only way to launch another car care line is to go the boutique route, not budget.

Irishcars
03-19-2015, 06:21 PM
Accidentally reposted as I thought it didn't send! That is my fear that the big labels are too big, but surely it can't be impossible? I have done a little research on the chemicals used in this industry, and can say that making a superior product certainly isn't unachievable, but the advertising and promoting the brand name would be difficult to say the least. Then again if I do create a superior product, reputation is key. Comments welcome as always!

Audios S6
03-19-2015, 08:14 PM
Accidentally reposted as I thought it didn't send! That is my fear that the big labels are too big, but surely it can't be impossible? I have done a little research on the chemicals used in this industry, and can say that making a superior product certainly isn't unachievable, but the advertising and promoting the brand name would be difficult to say the least. Then again if I do create a superior product, reputation is key. Comments welcome as always!

Unless you have a serious chemistry background or massive capital, you will be rebranding someone else's products. In which case you are unlikely to get the combination of boutique quality and low prices.

There are all kinds of companies that have hit the market in the last 10 years. Americana, Gary dean, car pro & optimum, polish angel, son1c wax and orchard are some I can think of off the top of my head. Some have already hit it big, others still gaining traction.

FUNX650
03-19-2015, 08:21 PM
OH!:
To once again be: young, impetuous,
and smitten with quixotism.

Memories...

Bob

davey g-force
03-19-2015, 08:24 PM
I personally think it's risky.

But if you think you can do it, then give it a shot. Might keep the other guys competitive!

dlc95
03-19-2015, 10:06 PM
Maybe concentrate on a specific component, possibly a sealant. Then progressively add products that are relevant, and synergistic.

It's a heavily saturated market with players coming to the fold seemingly over night.

I believe it can be done. Maby take some time and just see how many emerging brands are already out there, then see how you'd want to position yourself.

Good luck!