PDA

View Full Version : Shop Owners - Any tips in selecting location?

Pages : [1] 2

Wills.WindowsAndWheels
03-18-2015, 10:23 PM
Well, it looks like its time. We're looking for a stationary shop...but being that is a completely new avenue for us...we want to make sure we cut the learning curve of selecting a location as much as possible.

So..in short...what are some must haves...what size recommendations would you have...and any tips on how to search for such a place would be great.

thanks all

Aaryn NZ
03-19-2015, 01:53 AM
Yay! Thats exciting news team. :xyxthumbs:

As you probably guessed, I'm in New Zealand so unsure of your whereabouts so can't really help with location but as for size of the shop - I would say how ever big you think is going to be enough - go a little bit bigger than that. My opinion anyway.

Here in NZ we have to have a soap pit or sump or grease trap thing (hope that makes some sense) in the ground if you are going to be washing any type of chemical, mud, grease etc that ends up down the drain, not sure if that is required for you?

Plenty of heat points. Handy for additional lighting rigs, other power tools & the like. Ummm . . . what else . . . toilet? Wash room etc? Office space, a nice wash pad, I would love to have an under cover wash pad but as I work on a few Grape Harvesters it would need to be really high to the point it wouldn't do its job but may suit you?

Hope some of this helps . . . ummm . . also check out what other businesses are around that location. Fast food shops can be a pain - even though the vats are filtered, almost guarantee a fine mist of cooking fat will make its way all over the nice shiny Audi R8 sitting there waiting to be collected.

All the best for the search guys!

Aaryn NZ. :dblthumb2:

Mike Phillips
03-19-2015, 06:18 AM
I've had three brick and mortar detail shops in my life, one in Bellvue, Washington, one in Seaside, Oregon and one in Albany, Oregon.

It's nice to have a place to have all your equipment and products and just to be in your own shop throughout the day. Let people come to you... :xyxthumbs:

A fixed location also chews through your profits so be careful.

What you want is two things that don't go together, a great location a low price. I would choose a low price over a great location just because all the overhead comes out of all the work you do before you can pay yourself.

:)

HUMP DIESEL
03-19-2015, 06:56 AM
I think with the reputation that you guys have built, you could find a good shop that may not be in the middle of everything and the people will come to you. It's harder if you are just starting out to get people to the shop, but people know you, so I think you would be fine in a good building outside the main hussle and bussle.

Make sure it well lit, clean, and climate controlled.

HUMP

WRAPT C5Z06
03-19-2015, 09:02 AM
Well, it looks like its time. We're looking for a stationary shop...
I think that's great! :dblthumb2:

David Fermani
03-19-2015, 09:49 AM
My only advice would be to save as much money as possible. Regardless of how well you plan and try budgeting YOU WILL GO OVER BUDGET!

AZ Mike
03-19-2015, 02:32 PM
"A fixed location also chews through your profits so be careful.

What you want is two things that don't go together, a great location a low price. I would choose a low price over a great location just because all the overhead comes out of all the work you do before you can pay yourself."

I agree. You will spend time working just to pay for the shop. Overhead in not fun.

Busy mind
03-19-2015, 05:54 PM
I don't know you or the work you do, but my opinion is if your reputation is already solid then customers will come to you at any location.
If I were trying to acquire more customers then I would try to be near places that people go to frequently such as convenience stores, gas stations, grocery stores, coffee shops, laundromats. It doesn't have to be a 4 corner location. If you're aiming for more contract work then I'd look at locations near dealerships, large corporations, malls...
How many cars do you plan to do a day? What size vehicles do you work on?
1000 sq ft should fit at least 4 cars, equipment, waiting area/checkout.

Legacykid
03-21-2015, 12:22 PM
I'm interested in finding out more about opening a shop. Size, in regards to planning for expansion. Location, work next to,with in,or with a body shop, paint shop or garage. Etc

Wills.WindowsAndWheels
03-22-2015, 09:49 PM
appreciate the advice guys. Definitely wanna keep overhead at a minimum...i also want an space thats safe and appealing (or has the potential of being fixed up to be appealing).

Mask
03-23-2015, 12:43 AM
I would imagine space of 2 sedan park side by side and 6 sedan front to back. also have plenty of room for pushing detail cart around.
That's my idea shop :D

jarred767
07-15-2015, 08:34 AM
Any updates on this, did you guys ever get a shop. I'm entering into the same venture and it's tough going from mobile to a fixed location because we're so used to having insanely low overhead while being mobile. If a couple extra jobs per month can cover the overhead though, it shouldn't be too much of a problem. I'd love to hear any updates and words of advice from someone else who's just went through this process or if you're still currently in the transition mode.

Wills.WindowsAndWheels
07-15-2015, 08:47 PM
Any updates on this, did you guys ever get a shop. I'm entering into the same venture and it's tough going from mobile to a fixed location because we're so used to having insanely low overhead while being mobile. If a couple extra jobs per month can cover the overhead though, it shouldn't be too much of a problem. I'd love to hear any updates and words of advice from someone else who's just went through this process or if you're still currently in the transition mode.

Yes we did find a location, our first month was in June. First thing i noticed, no matter how long you THINK it will take you to arrange the place as you would like it....it will take you longer lol.
Things come up, jobs change, you're working both on cars and on setting up a building....theres just a lot of work to be done.

In our case our primary focus has been to make the shop our show piece and then market the hell out of it...while continuing to make enough $ to support both the investments in the shop...and the monthly overhead.

So far we've knocked out a wall...extended the reception area (built a new wall), painted a 2500 sq ft building top to bottom (LOTS of paint) that was bare block (which means even MORE paint!) that has walls over 20' high (more....paint....). We've purchased new lighting (which should be installed tomorrow) as well as extension cord reels to mount to the walls through out the garage.

We have other things in the works as well such as flooring, the office (desk, chairs, paint and new computer with internet/phone set up is now complete), reception (new tile as well as tape/texture/paint needed). Then theres the letting everyone know where you're at. Retention is huge so, reaching out to old customers, letting them know where you are, getting them in to stir some work up ...all that is important. Then stirring up NEW customers in the area is also important. Marketing, signage, networking with near by businesses etc.

Our goal hasn't been to bring in a ton of new customers...we take them as they come of course...but right now we want to make the shop a show room...THEN, draw in the new customers...wow them with our beautiful set up as well as our great work and service to them...and thus hopefully retain them for a very long time to come.

You also may have to consider employee's or at least part time help. Having room to do multiple jobs at once is something you need to take ADVANTAGE of...what good is packing 3/4 cars in a place at once if only one is being worked on? Sure you'll get to them eventually but if you can get them done sooner that means new ones can come in sooner and that means customers get their car back...sooner.

Finding an owner who was ok with our type of work, able to work with us on what we wanted and who actually lived in state was a huge plus. In our case, the owner actually works in the same complex...he's a small business guy like us so that worked out perfectly. Like many other small business owners told me - having an owner out of state who just sees you as a dot on a map isn't a good thing. Sometimes you have no choice, but building an in person relationship is priceless.

Ill be doing a huge write up with photos and all kinds of stuff once we complete everything. We have about 3 more major things to complete...once thats done, then i'll be posting pictures.

AZ Mike
07-15-2015, 09:10 PM
Congratulations. Can't wait to see the new shop. Include the address in your write up, so we can stop by for a look.

FinishingTouchA
07-15-2015, 10:06 PM
Wills, I'm excited to see pictures of your setup as it sounds amazing. I'd love to build something like that but I couldn't see putting that kind of money into a rental, I upgraded lighting and painted the inside of the reception area plus cleaned up the parking lot but right now I'm putting most of my money into better tools I can take with me if I find another place to rent or (keeping my hopes up) purchase. I just put 3k into a Karcher pressure washer and I'm getting a Champion air compressor, will eventually get a really nice extractor from my local distributor. It's the commercial grade tools that will last (hopefully) years and years and make the jobs much easier and efficient. I had never thought about cord reels but that makes a lot of sense. Lighting is a pipe dream right now but eventually will be in the works. Love hearing about others taking similar routes as myself. Best of wishes to you and your team.