PDA

View Full Version : Need help with large dust covered car

gtpforever
03-16-2015, 06:40 PM
I bought a car that had a fresh paint job done to it a couple years ago and its got a good amount of dust covering its finish. I would like to get it cleaned up but I have no idea what the best route in getting it cleaned up is without hurting the finish. It looks as tho it has gotten wet on delivery and when it all dried it has sort of matted the dust down now so that it can't be blown off at all. Figured this place was the best place for finding out how to remove this stuff without hurting the finish. I have people telling me to do clay bar but I have only used clay bar for smaller area's to make the finish smooth not to do the entire car completely covered in filth like this. Please help!

Setec Astronomy
03-16-2015, 06:48 PM
Are you saying it was painted a couple of years ago and it's been sitting in storage untouched since then?

I think a pressure washer would be the way to safely take that off, you might want to foam cannon it first and let it soak a bit.

gtpforever
03-16-2015, 07:03 PM
Yes exactly that. It was painted and then the guy had family problems and his toy had to go in storage unfinished. I have nothing but a roller right now so I can't take it anywhere. I will have to try cleaning it up at home. Where might I find a foam cannon type thing for here at home? I would love something like that. Sounds like it would help me since I have some medical issues with my arms so reaching the roof is hard for me.

trekkeruss
03-16-2015, 07:07 PM
I think a pressure washer would be the way to safely take that off, you might want to foam cannon it first and let it soak a bit.

If you do not have a pressure washer and foam cannon, you need to do a two bucket wash. Get at least a couple of wash mitts; three would be good...one for the tops, one for the sides, and one for the lower sides. Use a good car wash soap.

After you wash, you may need to do an iron decontamination. You will need to clay the paint for sure.

Setec Astronomy
03-16-2015, 07:11 PM
Where might I find a foam cannon type thing for here at home? I would love something like that.

Autogeek Pressure Washer Foam Cannon HP, foam lance, foam wash gun, pressure washer foamer (http://www.autogeek.net/autogeek-foam-cannon-hp.html)

Autogeek Quart Foamaster Foam Gun FREE BONUS (http://www.autogeek.net/auqufofogun.html)

gtpforever
03-16-2015, 07:30 PM
I am really digging those items!! I will be grabbing one of them up for sure. Now I need to decide if I will get the cannon or gun. I know the cannon requires me to have a pressure washer first which I do not have right now so I will have to research those to find out which I will end up getting. I don't detail for a living or anything so might not need it and could just get the gun to use with existing hoses I have. BUT on the other hand a pressure washer would help me with cleaning since I have those medical conditions. LOL! Really have to think about this now.

Setec Astronomy
03-16-2015, 08:07 PM
You can get a cheap pressure washer at Home Depot or Lowe's or Target or Walmart...may not last forever but you'll be able to clean this car.

gtpforever
03-16-2015, 08:09 PM
Good idea! Might have them at Harbor Freight as well.

Setec Astronomy
03-16-2015, 08:12 PM
The idea is to blast the dirt off , not the paint. If you're unsure of the quality of this paint job, the foam gun might be safer. The idea of the pressure washer is to blast the dirt off the surface without wiping it against the paint like you would do with a wash mitt, so as not to scratch.

gtpforever
03-16-2015, 08:22 PM
I have seen the entire build done on the car. BUT it was seen over the internet to so I really have no idea of the quality of the work. It was done in automotive paint school which could be a good thing or a bad thing depending on how good the teacher is. LOL! It looks beautiful tho from what I can see but maybe its not.

Setec Astronomy
03-16-2015, 08:26 PM
Fortunately for you, the cheap pressure washers are not that powerful. I'm just saying you can blast the paint off the car, and a repaint is more likely to have areas of bad prep. Just keep the wand at least several inches from the surface and just blast the dirt off.

Mantilgh
03-16-2015, 09:05 PM
Welcome to the forum!

I have heard that Walmart and HD have some form of foam gun. I personally am not big on the foam thing, but many people like them. I've used garden fertilizer mixer/sprayers with car wash soap in them as a prewash soak before. You just put some in and set to desired ratio and spray. Doesn't really make foam though.

And.......What is this car? Anything special? Big hp 70s????

fly07sti
03-16-2015, 09:54 PM
As Mantilgh asks. What kind of car are we talkin about? Can you post some pics?

gtpforever
04-14-2015, 07:51 PM
Alright I am finally able to get back on here. Its been down for me for a while. I emailed the main site and it mysteriously got me back in. LOL! I also didn't get emails for the last 3 of you posting so I will try to catch this back up now.
#1 I ended up getting a 1650psi pressure washer so I should at least be able to have a start for cleaning the car off. It really needs it now cause now that the car is finally here my trees started dropping buds and now the buds are all over it. LOL! Gotta get a car cover for it.
Whats the best bet for car covers? Is it the more layers the better sort of thing? I see them claiming all kinds of different layer amounts on ebay so I want to be sure.
#2 the car is just a 99 Grand Prix GTP but its been painted a color from the last of the Pontiacs which is from the G8 and its called Magnetic Gray Metallic or MGM for short. I like the color and being that its different it intrigues me a little more I guess. LOL!
Here is some pics.......
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g86/gtpforever/micah%2031.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g86/gtpforever/micah%2026_1.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g86/gtpforever/micah%2017.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g86/gtpforever/micah%207.jpg